Sign in to follow this  
IDP

Spider ID

This big beastie has just taken up residence on my back deck and so I decided to take a couple of shots of it. However, my knowledge of entomology is virtually non-existent and I wonder if any expert out there could confirm my identification as Nephila clavipes - a Banana Spider or Golden Silk Spider? It's about the size of an outspread hand and the location is central Florida.

Thanks in advance

Ian D

DG5HFB.jpg

Edited by IDP

Looks to me like a 

Gold Silk Orb-Weaver Spider

I was so used to seeing these in Durban a few years ago that it cured my phobia. 

Wow. I loved the spider so decided to look at your images. None?

Paulette

Thanks, Paul - that's one of the names for Nephila clavipes and so confirms my identification.

Paulette, it's easy enough to see my images by doing a search of my name which is shown in my profile. I use a dormant account for the forum because I had very good reasons for not showing images from a couple of my minor pseudonyms.

Ian D

Good job I read on. Yorkshire is too close for one of these.

LOVE the spider. I'm a fan of Catherine Chalmers -- who has done a lot of work with flies, cockroaches and other "icky" creatures. This is the video that was my first introduction to her. She raises her "models".

http://www.catherinechalmers.com/american-cockroach/video/safari/

Paulette

Yep, you're correct. I photographed them in Costa Rica.

Name: Golden silk orb spider / Banana spider / Nephila clavipes

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks, Philippe. I thought you might be the "expert" to chime in and put me on the right path!

Ian D

PS. Your shot is a lot better than mine!!

Edited by IDP
  • Upvote 1

Banana Spider or Golden Orb Spider are two names I've heard attributed to them.  I had one living on a web outside my sliding glass door (north Florida) for most of the summer this year but he disappeared about a month ago.  I left him alone figuring he helps keep down the mosquito population.