Do artistic shots sell well?

On 16/12/2019 at 10:15, Betty LaRue said:

Good luck with that. I removed all of my creative/artistic images and am selling them elsewhere.

Thanks Betty. If you don't mind me asking, where are you selling them? Yes, mine artistic are not necessarily ones that take a lot of setup time and studio work, more finding unusual angles, less commercial in appearance.

19 hours ago, Dave R said:

The problem I have found in the past is anything outside the rather straight laced QC controls. The good folks in the QC department kept saying not sharp for deliberately motion blurred shots. In the end I gave up and placed them elsewhere and they sold well. I don't think alamy does "creative " just very standard straight. 

Yea, intentionally dark shots or ones that may have noise or grain have tough time passing QC. I've been burned by that too.

15 hours ago, Marianne said:

I have an artsy shot of a boat with lots of texture that has sold hundreds of times for me elsewhere and made me high $$$, I'd love to upload it to Alamy but as @Betty LaRue has experienced, I know it would fail Alamy QC. It is also a good seller for me as a fine art print, so just as well it isn't here. Alamy has licensed artsy shots via S like this one taken with my iPhone at night - maybe more moody than artsy - it ran in several newspapers earlier this year. If you would consider the purple toning artsy, Alamy first licensed this one in 2011, and I licensed it from my website as well.  

Boats in harbor during the blue hour Waterford, Connecticut USA in summer at night. Stock PhotoSteel globe from the 1964 World's Fair Corona Park, Flushing Meadows Queens WB enhanced also Earth Day concept Stock Photo

Hi Marianne, and thanks for your input. Not sure what you mean by S, like the big microstock agency I suppose. I find it very disappointing to be active there. Images more often than not sell for crumbs.

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Is this an artistic shot?   I only uploaded it because it had something about it.  Since then, It has licensed once.  street-gutter-with-rain-water-J6GAED.jpg

I guess there is a want and a need for anything, sometimes the least expected. It's cool this sold! What was it used for, do you remember?

Just now, AlexG said:

Hi Marianne, and thanks for your input. Not sure what you mean by S, like the big microstock agency I suppose. I find it very disappointing to be active there. Images more often than not sell for crumbs.

Actually Alex, Alamy has a sister site, so just the one S, not SS - they only license iPhone photos - prices I've gotten range from $15-$50 - not bad for an iPhone shot IMHO. We are no longer allowed to discuss that site specifically here on the forum so I just alluded to it as a comparison, hoping to stay within the rules. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AlexG said:

Thanks Betty. If you don't mind me asking, where are you selling them? Yes, mine artistic are not necessarily ones that take a lot of setup time and studio work, more finding unusual angles, less commercial in appearance.

Fine Art America. Sales have been pouring in for Christmas gifts.

• Love 3

2 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Fine Art America. Sales have been pouring in for Christmas gifts.

You've got a wonderful gallery there. I have the free account, so very few images. No sales for me yet.

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

A presentation or newsletter.  Low $$.  

I too have had some unusual presentation sales. 

With some of them, I've given up trying to figure out what the topic of the presentation might be.

Edited by John Mitchell

I have had the same question. I have some intriguing Day of the Dead photos with heavy blur and grain. I didn't upload them for fear of failing QC and thinking they are more suited for a gallery or cafe wall if I could get them in such a place. I love them. Maybe I will upload one to see what happens. Helpful conversation though and encouraging.

Maybe I'll start another thread on this, but has anyone used Art Storefront? It's another online art sales platform...

Haven't heard of Art Storefront, but I'm doing very well at Fine Art America. In the past two weeks sales there beat out a year's sales here, and that's gross sales here and my net there. 

This is the busiest time of year there, but I get regular and good $$$ sales there monthly.  I did nicely at Crated too but then they closed down after a lot of time and effort on my part, so I'd stick with a site that has been around for a long time, like FAA. 

Also, try Alamy's sister iPhone site for artsy images. It's a lot of fun and I've done pretty well there with sales considering I only have about 100 images there. With my new iPhone 11 that I just got, next year my plan is to upload an image a day there. 

2 hours ago, Marianne said:

Haven't heard of Art Storefront, but I'm doing very well at Fine Art America. In the past two weeks sales there beat out a year's sales here, and that's gross sales here and my net there. 

This is the busiest time of year there, but I get regular and good $$$ sales there monthly.  I did nicely at Crated too but then they closed down after a lot of time and effort on my part, so I'd stick with a site that has been around for a long time, like FAA. 

Also, try Alamy's sister iPhone site for artsy images. It's a lot of fun and I've done pretty well there with sales considering I only have about 100 images there. With my new iPhone 11 that I just got, next year my plan is to upload an image a day there. 

🤔I have 300 photos up at the sister site 😉 and never sold a one, so gave up on that. But that was before I understood tagging. I guess I should go back and retag and see what happens at least. It got harder to get passing grades there too.

Good point about sticking with a site that will be there for a while!