Liverpool Part 2 -- Settling In

8 hours ago, jodyko said:

I read this many times as a child. Loved it.

Actually, Edo said that, not me. My first book was a telephone book.😏

Just kidding, I don't remember what it was.

P.S. I recall having to read "Dick and Jane" in grade one and thinking it was pretty dumb.

Edited by John Mitchell

8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:
15 hours ago, jodyko said:

P.S. I recall having to read "Dick and Jane" in grade one and thinking it was pretty dumb.

How strange. I'm sure I highlighted Edo's sentence in his post and then clicked quote selection. Actually saw later that it was attributed to you and remember thinking that I thought it was Ed's post but didn't check. I assumed it was my sometimes challenging memory.

Just now, jodyko said:
8 hours ago, John Mitchell said:
15 hours ago, jodyko said:

How strange. I'm sure I highlighted Edo's sentence in his post and then clicked quote selection. Actually saw later that it was attributed to you and remember thinking that I thought it was Ed's post but didn't check. I assumed it was my sometimes challenging memory.

Sorry still my mistake. Quoted Ed's statement in your post I guess.

On 14/12/2019 at 22:55, Ed Rooney said:

Paulette, the Jefferson is one of the notable landmark buildings of Greenwich Village. Lucky you to have it as your local library. I used the one on the North end of Mulberry Street. 

I watched a free film on YouTube this evening, The November Man with Pierce Brosnan. It wasn't bad and I had no problem with the streaming. I suppose most of you would hate watching a film on a 13" MacBook screen but I've gotten used to accepting the limits of my new life; I'm reading a novel on my iPhone. (teehee)

Edo

Hey Ed

If you are feeling festive, then you might like to try out my iBook version of "Charles Dickens -  A Christmas Carol"

https://books.apple.com/gb/book/a-christmas-carol/id589012991?mt=11&app=itunes

The book contains all the original text (nicely out of copyright 🙂), but we also recorded a special "radio play" version, which is embedded into the book

It was a bit of a test to see how easy it was to create an iBook, and embed other media, such as photographs, video and audio

Reviews are  positive - although someone didn't like the fact that it was not read word for word from the original text - which is why I describe it as a "audio adaptation" or "Radio Play"!

I'd love to hear what you think!

Jools

Edited by Jools Devon
-

Thanks, Jools. Dickens is one of a very few writers I like to reread. 

I've little interest in the holidays though -- something to get through, rather than enjoy. I'm up to my ears in must-do projects right now.

Happy Christmas!

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Thanks, Jools. Dickens is one of a very few writers I like to reread. 

I've little interest in the holidays though -- something to get through, rather than enjoy. I'm up to my ears in must-do projects right now.

Happy Christmas!

The older we get, the less magic Christmas holds. Although I braved the falling snow to drive a mile to mail off my Christmas cards this morning. HO HO HO! 🎄🎄🎄

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John Morrison said:

True. It's not that I dislike Christmas... more that I love other days better...

The whole Christmas thing is tiring, and in my case, most of the work fell to me in years past. Holding down a full-time job while doing all the gift buying...hubby had one gift to buy, mine. I did the kids, the relatives, even his, or it wouldn’t get done. Then the decorating, cooking, cleaning and on and on.

I don’t have as much of that now, but still enough. I could skip it and be just fine! 😊 I think I’m burnt out.

I always envied women who’s husbands pitched in. His idea of pitching in was to string the lights on the tree and to say, “you kids get in there and help your mother!l 🤣

Here’s to all of you men who pitch or pitched in. 🥂

Betty

9 hours ago, jodyko said:

Sorry still my mistake. Quoted Ed's statement in your post I guess.

No problem. The quoting process can be awkward.

I read the Jungle Book as well, along with the Hardy Boys mysteries, H.G.  Wells, Jules Verne, comic books galore, Mad Magazine and everything else most boys read during the mid 20th century.

• Like 1

Hey Betty, I really don't enjoy shopping, to some extent that's a Mars/Venus difference thing. But I do cook the Turkey and claim the crown for the world's best stuffing balls . Some goes down by the breast to keep it moist. I keep a little package of gooseberries in the freezer from the garden which is magic in the stuffing.

I once climbed down out of our huge ancient chimney in full Father Christmas gear which scared the crap out of our 3 year old son who was cowering with his grandparents down the far end of the room. It was a good gag but we only got away with it the once.

2 hours ago, Robert M Estall said:

Hey Betty, I really don't enjoy shopping, to some extent that's a Mars/Venus difference thing. But I do cook the Turkey and claim the crown for the world's best stuffing balls . Some goes down by the breast to keep it moist. I keep a little package of gooseberries in the freezer from the garden which is magic in the stuffing.

I once climbed down out of our huge ancient chimney in full Father Christmas gear which scared the crap out of our 3 year old son who was cowering with his grandparents down the far end of the room. It was a good gag but we only got away with it the once.

:lol: I love it! And good for you! My son and sons-in-law all cook and wash dishes. And you are right, most men don’t have the “picking-out-the-perfect-gift” gene. I give you a pass on that.
I’m remembering the dress my husband bought for me when I was in my 20s. I think my grandmother would have thought the style too old for her. But then he was very jealous and invested in my not looking attractive, lol.

Yikes, tomorrow's Christmas and I just released that there's no chimney on this building.

How is Santa supposed to get in with my gifts? Looking out my window, I see a platformed marquee extending from the entrance but it looks too small to land all those reindeer on, especially with Rudolf leading the pack. He's drunk on punch most of the time. How do you think he got that red nose? 

I'm lucky this year though. I know one couple here, friends of a friend. He's a red-haired Irish lad who speaks the Gaelic. She's Jewish American from the Rocky Mountains. They went out and actually shopped for stuff for me, specific items I need, not a generic bottle of wine. I'm very touched. And they are good young people, with doctorates, doing research at a university here on global warming. So, I'm not just touched. I'm also impressed. 

I've not eaten out for over two weeks now. I go to one of the local pubs for a pint of Guinness before cooking for myself. Someone suggested that I'm happy now. I'm a long way from happy. But I'm a lot less unhappy. 

Have a great Holiday, everyone! 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Love 4
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Yikes, tomorrow's Christmas and I just released that there's no chimney on this building.

How is Santa supposed to get in with my gifts? Looking out my window, I see a platformed marquee extending from the entrance but it looks too small to land all those reindeer on, especially with Rudolf leading the pack. He's drunk on punch most of the time. How do you think he got that red nose? 

I'm lucky this year though. I know one couple here, friends of a friend. He's a red-haired Irish lad who speaks the Gaelic. She's Jewish American from the Rocky Mountains. They went out and actually shopped for stuff for me, specific items I need, not a generic bottle of wine. I'm very touched. And they are good young people, with doctorates, doing research at a university here on global warming. So, I'm not just touched. I'm also impressed. 

I've not eaten out for over two weeks now. I go to one of the local pubs for a pint of Guinness before cooking for myself. Someone suggested that I'm happy now. I'm a long way from happy. But I'm a lot less unhappy. 

Edo

Santa probably has figured out by now how to wiggle everything through the internet cables and how to surf the wifi waves with his sleigh and reindeer too. 😁

They do have some funny customs over there: a Christmas cracker is not for eating, though it looks like an oversized sweet, and people are wearing funny hats at the table. On the table is the turkey they didn't have at Thanksgiving because there's no such thing at this side of the pond. But the fretting about the cooking is much the same.

Happy Christmas to you too!

wim

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Edo

I used to be a red-haired Irish lad who spoke Irish although you would never think that now - the hair has gone dark, is a lot thinner than it used to be and I haven't spoken Irish since the day I left school at the age of 18 so that has faded with the colour of my hair. Happiness can not be measured and exists only in the moment I think but may you have a lot of happy moments Edo. Nollaig shona duit a chara. 

Family is coming this afternoon to stay with me. The house is screaming Christmas with lights and decor.  All the family will gather and go to Christmas Eve services, then go to my daughter’s house for traditional pizza, salad and chocolate heaven for desert. Christmas Eve was my husband’s birthday, pizza and chocolate heaven his favorite food. I’ll take a framed photograph of him I took a few years ago, and we’ll have his favorite food to honor him.

Tomorrow we’ll gather again at my daughter’s house, all of us chipping in with food we’ve cooked. 
Games played, joking and laughing, orneriness, children excited and photographs taken.

I’ll put out of my mind what’s happening to my spine after I do my physical therapy exercises.

I’m smelling the baked chicken is done, so I’ll go drain the drippings for my cornbread dressing now. I’ll bake the coconut cream pie and dressing Christmas morning.

Alexa is playing Elvis Presley Christmas songs.

Life is good. No white Christmas, but blessed with temperatures in the high 60s.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, everyone.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

Having hosted most Christmases for the last 30 odd years, I have passed the mantle on to my kids! So this year we are going to my daughter and her husband, my son and his wife are coming too. Four young grandchildren as well so the whole santa magic is back.

I only had to make my famous sticky toffee pudding and Ian has bought some rather nice wines.

Cheesy xmas songs will be played, including this family favourite. A cool yule to you all.

Pretty quiet Yule here, which is fine with me. I find Xmas a good time to chill and reflect.

Not sure how to say it in Scouse, but Horam Najulachti (as Mr. Spock used to say) to everyone on Starship Alamy.  🥂

Yes, "Nollaig shona duit a chara." I tried to get my tongue around that today. Irish is one tough bunch of words. 

But then, many of the most important writers in English, as the 19th century was becoming the 20th, were Irish -- Joyce, Beckett, O'Casey, Wilde and Joseph Conrad. Hmm. Okay, maybe Conrad wasn't Irish . . . but he wrote like an Irish lad. And he wasn't English. 

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, JaniMarkus Hasa said:

We celebrate Christmas on Christmas Eve here in Finland

I'm half Norwegian, so we also had our big meal, and present giving, on Christmas Eve. And Father Christmas would call, in person, to deliver presents (depending on which family friend my dad could persuade to wear the Santa outfit). Santa apparently landed his sleigh on the roof, though one year I saw a Vauxhall Victor parked outside... a moment that marked the end of my childhood innocence...