Jump to content

Why were ALL of my images rejected?


Recommended Posts

Hello! I am a brand new contributor to Alamy. I read through how the QC process works, but I clearly didn't understand it fully. And I'm very frustrated.

 

So far, I have submitted 32 images total without a problem. QC approval seemed to go fairly quickly. However, I recently submitted 5 different groups (different submissions, according to the image manner) and it took FOUR DAYS to hear back from QC, which seemed extremely long since it states it should only take about 24 hours. Regardless, I had one single image that was rejected from a "batch" of 11 photos I submitted. But what got me frustrated and angry is that it then automatically rejected the other 47 images because of it!!

 

Apparently, I should only upload one type/group of photo shoot at a time, in case this ever happens again? These were 5 completely different photo shots which is why I uploaded them in 5 different groups. The first batch on 11-29-19 (that had the one rejected image), the second through fourth batches also on 11-29-19, but the fifth batch on 12-3-19. And then I got notification that the one image failed, and I just looked now and see that EVERYTHING is rejected.

 

Now what? Can I still resubmit everything? (minus the rejected image of course)

 

I didn't realize that Alamy doesn't separate the batches, or dates of what you submit, and just automatically kills everything you've uploaded since that point.

 

Suggestions? Tips? Words of advice?

 

Thank you.

  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

CC,

 

You are not very clear about your problem?  An old rule at Alamy on submissions is that all submissions awaiting approval in QC will fail if one image fails.

QC will tell you why an image fails and it is up to you to solve the issue and correct it.

 

PS  Took a look at the 32 images you have online with Alamy and a few of them looked "over processed", just my opinion.

 

I've been contributing to Alamy for more than 15 years and I've always found them helpful, if I had a question.  You just need to ask.

 

Good Luck

 

Chuck

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Can_Chaser said:

Suggestions? Tips? Words of advice?

 

Alamy take no particular notice of your "batches", or the subject matter, or the date they were uploaded. If they find fault with one image, then all pix awaiting QC will be rejected. It's their way of ensuring that contributors meet their quality benchmark.

 

What was the reason for the one image to be rejected?

 

Take a good long look at all the pix, at 100%, until you're satisfied they're OK, and resubmit... minus the rejected pic...

  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Can_Chaser said:

 

But what got me frustrated and angry is that it then automatically rejected the other 47 images because of it!!

 

 

Not as angry as Alamy would be if they had to look through all your other submissions and find another one that needs rejecting. If one image does not meet the standards it suggests that your technique may not be perfect and there could be more failures among your other submissions. We would all prefer it if they concentrated their efforts elsewhere rather than hire more QC staff and reduce our commission.

 

All businesses require suppliers to meet their standards time and time again. It's up to you to prove that you can do that.

 

Alan

  • Upvote 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Can_Chaser said:

Hello! I am a brand new contributor to Alamy. I read through how the QC process works, but I clearly didn't understand it fully. And I'm very frustrated.

 

So far, I have submitted 32 images total without a problem. QC approval seemed to go fairly quickly. However, I recently submitted 5 different groups (different submissions, according to the image manner) and it took FOUR DAYS to hear back from QC, which seemed extremely long since it states it should only take about 24 hours. Regardless, I had one single image that was rejected from a "batch" of 11 photos I submitted. But what got me frustrated and angry is that it then automatically rejected the other 47 images because of it!!

 

Apparently, I should only upload one type/group of photo shoot at a time, in case this ever happens again? These were 5 completely different photo shots which is why I uploaded them in 5 different groups. The first batch on 11-29-19 (that had the one rejected image), the second through fourth batches also on 11-29-19, but the fifth batch on 12-3-19. And then I got notification that the one image failed, and I just looked now and see that EVERYTHING is rejected.

 

Now what? Can I still resubmit everything? (minus the rejected image of course)

 

I didn't realize that Alamy doesn't separate the batches, or dates of what you submit, and just automatically kills everything you've uploaded since that point.

 

Suggestions? Tips? Words of advice?

 

Thank you.

CC, what you may not have realised is that Alamy QC is not done by software, it's done by real people - with a very keen eye for detail. As a new contributor, they'll be looking especially hard at your submissions to ensure you are able to maintain the extremely high quality that is demanded on this site. Unlike microstock, this is not somewhere where "anything goes". Read the QC guidelines, check every image at 100%, submit only images you are certain will pass, and all will be well.
In the meantime, welcome to Alamy and the forums, once you get the hang of it, it's a great place to be!

Tony

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

 

You are not very clear about your problem?  An old rule at Alamy on submissions is that all submissions awaiting approval in QC will fail if one image fails.

QC will tell you why an image fails and it is up to you to solve the issue and correct it.

 

PS  Took a look at the 32 images you have online with Alamy and a few of them looked "over processed", just my opinion.

 

 

I've re-looked through submission guidelines (and now I can't find the exact verbage) but when it read through everything, I interpreted it as the other files in THAT specific submission (with the rejected image) will automatically be denied. Not EVERYTHING you have in submission after that point, even what were in different photos shoots and completely different content and images. I didn't understand it that way when I read it. Now knowing that, I guess I'll only upload a few files and/or single photos shoots at a time.

 

I'm not upset about the one image they rejected. I can understand it's got more HDR effect than they are looking for, the more I learn about the site, after I submitted those files. That's okay. Just not looking forward to re-uploading everything again! Because everything after that (in my opinion) was fine. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

 

Honestly curious - which approved images of mine do you think are over processed?

 

 

  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Can_Chaser said:

 

Honestly curious - which approved images of mine do you think are over processed?

 

 

There's probably nothing wrong with the ones you've already had approved. Alamy judge images purely on technical details, and they always inspect at 100%. If it's not totally sharp where it should be it will fail. If there are dust specks it will fail. And in terms of over-processing, there may be tell-tale signs of interpolation artefacts that are not easily spotted at less than 100%. Don't get unduly worked up about it at this stage - most of us have had to go through a learning process via a few QC fails until we get the measure of things. Once you're fully confident that you know what will pass and what will not you can start to send multiple submissions at the same time again.

 

Alan

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Can_Chaser said:

 

 

I've re-looked through submission guidelines (and now I can't find the exact verbage) but when it read through everything, I interpreted it as the other files in THAT specific submission (with the rejected image) will automatically be denied. Not EVERYTHING you have in submission after that point, even what were in different photos shoots and completely different content and images. I didn't understand it that way when I read it. Now knowing that, I guess I'll only upload a few files and/or single photos shoots at a time.

 

 

 

 

 

though i can understand your potential reading of the guidelines, it would lead to major abuse as you would then load one image press submit, and therefor have all images considered as "separate submission". 

This is not how industrial QC should work.  I would worry if my food manufacturer considered batch as "what was produced in last 2 minutes seconds" and only remove the one bad so called batch when a problem was found.    If there was ONE problem in the system, all should be recalled 

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to throw my 2 cents in, Chuck’s remark about over processing might refer to your enhancing color.  To me, the intense color of the red horses seems a bit over the top. I owned a blood sorrel mare once. (I adore horses)  Same with cupcake frosting. Personally, I’d back off a bit.
I’m speaking for myself, Chuck!

Betty

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

16 hours ago, Can_Chaser said:

 

 

I've re-looked through submission guidelines (and now I can't find the exact verbage) but when it read through everything, I interpreted it as the other files in THAT specific submission (with the rejected image) will automatically be denied. Not EVERYTHING you have in submission after that point, even what were in different photos shoots and completely different content and images. I didn't understand it that way when I read it. Now knowing that, I guess I'll only upload a few files and/or single photos shoots at a time.

 

I'm not upset about the one image they rejected. I can understand it's got more HDR effect than they are looking for, the more I learn about the site, after I submitted those files. That's okay. Just not looking forward to re-uploading everything again! Because everything after that (in my opinion) was fine. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

 

Honestly curious - which approved images of mine do you think are over processed?

 

 

 

I don't think they are over-processed. However, some of the horse pictures look like they have quite a strong yellow colour cast (at least I have never seen such a yellow horse) and it may be exacerbated by a bit too much saturation or vibrance either in processing or if shooting jpegs. Riding Horse with long mane in lush grass - Image ID: 2AARBGE is a good example of what I am talking about. I like the shot by the way - it would look really good in black and white I think as well (not generally recommended for Alamy though). 

 

This level of saturation would not ever be a reason for QC failure. Having said that, the fact that a picture has passed QC doesn't necessarily mean it has been approved. It might have been but the only definite conclusion is that is has not been disapproved as QC only do spot checks. It is the same principle as going through the green channel in customs. The fact you get through does not necessarily mean that you did not have any goods that would have caused a problem if you had been checked. 

 

I would suggest you use a grey card (xrite do a good one) to get your colour balance right and shoot raw if you are not already doing so. I don't recommend trying to use a grey card while riding and shooting though 😀.

Edited by MDM
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Just to throw my 2 cents in, Chuck’s remark about over processing might refer to your enhancing color.  To me, the intense color of the red horses seems a bit over the top. I owned a blood sorrel mare once. (I adore horses)  Same with cupcake frosting. Personally, I’d back off a bit.
I’m speaking for myself, Chuck!

Betty

 

Hello cupcake. No! I mean that in a nice way. Like a pet name. Not that you are a pet. Oh! I'll get me coat.

 

Can_Chaser I agree with Betty and Chuck's comments.

 

(An aside: I seem to remember reading an article in one of the photo mags many years ago, Amateur Photographer I think, and it was either by or about Chuck. Can't remember when that was exactly but I think late 70's early 80's?)

 

Allan

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2019 at 20:36, Can_Chaser said:

I had one single image that was rejected from a "batch" of 11 photos I submitted. But what got me frustrated and angry is that it then automatically rejected the other 47 images because of it!!

 

I know it's frustrating, but it sounds like the system worked as designed.  

 

I'm a weekend uploader so I usually have several "batches" waiting for QC, but once QC gets to them on Monday, they process all the images in one go.   If one image in the queue gets rejected, they all get rejected.  It's tough punishment, but fair.  We all get the same treatment and the pain of such utter rejection reminds us not to make the same mistake again. 

 

 

On 04/12/2019 at 20:36, Can_Chaser said:

Suggestions? Tips? Words of advice?

 

Suggestions - have a look at why it was rejected.  What steps can you take to prevent that issue in the future? 

 

 

When I first started, I failed QC terribly.  Each failure, I took a few moments to nurse my wounded pride, had a cuppa tea, then spent hours with google discovering what these people at QC were talking about.  Then I went out with my camera for more hours until I could reliably not make that same mistake again.  Then tried uploading again.  Pass.  

 

I haven't had a problem getting through QC for months now (touch wood), but I'm probably erring on the side of caution and rejecting images that are borderline okay.  I want to make life as easy as possible for the QC teem to press "approved".

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Hello cupcake. No! I mean that in a nice way. Like a pet name. Not that you are a pet. Oh! I'll get me coat.

 

Can_Chaser I agree with Betty and Chuck's comments.

 

(An aside: I seem to remember reading an article in one of the photo mags many years ago, Amateur Photographer I think, and it was either by or about Chuck. Can't remember when that was exactly but I think late 70's early 80's?)

 

Allan

 

:lol: take your coat off.

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Hello cupcake. No! I mean that in a nice way. Like a pet name. Not that you are a pet. Oh! I'll get me coat.

 

 

 

30 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

:lol: take your coat off.

 

It's getting hot in here. Are we looking at forum romance ❤️💜💚? I'll look away. 😎

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MDM said:

 

 

It's getting hot in here. Are we looking at forum romance ❤️💜💚? I'll look away. 😎

No, Michael! Allan and I are true friends, so we joke with each other, knowing all the while how it’s meant. Get your eyeballs back in here. 👀

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to tread cautiously with Alamy QC, so I only upload one submission at a time with usually 15 or 20 images and if I have any doubt about an image being sharp I don’t include it. if you go down the one submission at a time the advantage is that Alamy QC is really working quick about 24 hours for non 5* accounts and remember they don’t work at the weekends. Hope things get better for you.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Normspics said:

I tend to tread cautiously with Alamy QC, so I only upload one submission at a time with usually 15 or 20 images and if I have any doubt about an image being sharp I don’t include it. if you go down the one submission at a time the advantage is that Alamy QC is really working quick about 24 hours for non 5* accounts and remember they don’t work at the weekends. Hope things get better for you.

 

Once you/we have become accustomed to looking critically at every image, at 100%, scanning it from corner to corner, the size of the upload really doesn't matter. It could be 10 or 100 (I seldom upload more than that in one go). You/we just need to have confidence in the workflow...

  • Upvote 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

 

You/we just need to have confidence in the workflow...

 

 

And the willpower to resist the temptation to try to slip a dodgy one through just because you like it.

 

Alan

  • Upvote 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Inchiquin said:

 

And the willpower to resist the temptation to try to slip a dodgy one through just because you like it.

 

Alan

 

That’s what I was alluding to, the temptation is real.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.