Shooting at Night?

7 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

this QC thing is realy hard

Yes it can be. The rules are the rules however and the only way to contribute here is to pass QC. Only you can decide if the effort involved is something you're willing to put forth. 

The amazing thing is though Alamy is the Only site that has accepted any of my old slide film photos from the 1980s which have grain at 100% and less detail than most of my digital photos taken even with my old cheap sansung / Olympus point & shoot cameras

If they passed then apparently they met Alamy standards. That's the bottom line. Keep in mind though that submissions are spot checked. Not all images will be inspected. It's possible for something to get through that should not. If only one in a batch fails then all will be rejected regardless of how many are waiting approval.

Still I'm getting realy good votes

This is largely irrelevant here. Alamy only cares about technical quality. The buyers decide if what you submit is something they require. Anything can sell, most probably won't. The more difficult part of stock photography in my opinion is figuring out what is marketable and how to supply that market. That being said, my approach is to enjoy what I'm doing, supply technically acceptable images, continue the learning process in hopes of improving and hope for the best. I hope this helps.

Edited by jodyko
Punctuation

6 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

I was a doggy person for years, but they were small dogs that only bit a flea! 😂

Don't get me wrong. When I was at home with my parents we had a few dogs over the time I was there. I like dogs.🙂  It is just the attitude some owners take when something goes wrong and it was their dog that was at fault.😞

Allan

7 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

Don't get me wrong. When I was at home with my parents we had a few dogs over the time I was there. I like dogs.🙂  It is just the attitude some owners take when something goes wrong and it was their dog that was at fault.😞

Allan

My sister’s attitude for sure. Until he bit her child, then she wanted to shoot him.

I have shot with flash at night, my least favorite thing but necessary to light up and freeze moving animals, like a possum in my tree and night-feeding hummingbird moths. 
I’ve  also used hand-held twilight on my RX-100 with success, and my Nikon on a tripod before I sold the camera. Probably the best image was on the tripod, in my opinion.  Not for things that move, though, unless automobile light trails or star trails.
Betty

Tripod
FB6193.jpg

Flash

D33CY4.jpg

hand-held twilight

F854P4.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Like 1

On 08/12/2019 at 04:46, NYCat said:

The usual advice in bear country is to be making noise to let them know you are around because if you don't startle them they have no interest in bothering you. I don't know about coyotes but probably any wild animal is going to be leery of us strange clothed creatures. The worst thing you can do is run. The saying is, "Only food runs."

Paulette

When I first started photographing Bears I was told that if one is stalking you, just take off your clothes and drop them on the ground the bear will stop and smell your clothes giving you the opportunity to make your escape. Unfortunately years later I found out that bears like the unwrapped ones best!

wild-californian-black-bear-although-a-b

Edited by Shergar

8 minutes ago, Shergar said:

When I first started photographing Bears I was told that if one chased you, just take off your clothes and drop them on the ground the bear will stop and smell your clothes giving you the opportunity to make your escape. Unfortunately years later I found out the bears like the unwrapped ones best!

wild-californian-black-bear-although-a-b

:D

On 04/12/2019 at 20:21, John Mitchell said:

I don't use a tripod very often these days, preferring to handhold most of the time and use a lens with image stabilization. I sometimes use Sony's "handheld twilight" mode (JPEG only), which can work very well in some situations. This topic reminds me that I need to add more night images to my collection. A couple have licensed recently.

I handheld this (RAW) with a Sony NEX-6 and Sony 35mm lens f/1.8 , which is nice and sharp. It's even good wide open.

Think I used f/2.8 or f/3.2 here.

canada-place-sails-and-cruise-ship-termi

I still use a tripod for shots like this one, though (Sony NEX-3)

the-stanley-theatre-on-south-granville-s

great shots hand held too. The sony cameras (have a NEX 5N which I just bought) does realy well on higher iso's. I just had a photo of the town at dusk accepted on alamy which was also handheld. Question is how slow a shutter speed can you use on the NEX with the OSS lens?

Edited by dunstun365

On 10/12/2019 at 14:23, jodyko said:

Alamy accepts higher ISO shots provided the images passes QC. In the end its whether the technical quality meets their standards. If in doubt and seeing as you're just starting here I would recommend holding off and submitting images that you are very comfortable with. In time you'll get a feel for what's acceptable and the going will get easier. What you don't want are QC fails early on, (or ever really.) If you care to post a link to your pic in a way that forum members can view it at 100% you may get some opinions. 

its fine now. Alamy accepted the photo I mentioned (along with my others) even though I had painted out shop signs & logos am realy pleased. They are not on sale yet but I believe a the search engine puts them up. Is that correct?

Edited by dunstun365
more info

2 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

great shots hand held too. The sony cameras (have a NEX 5N which I just bought) does realy well on higher iso's. I just had a photo of the town at dusk accepted on alamy which was also handheld. Question is how slow a shutter speed can you use on the NEX with the OSS lens?

Tough to say. I always take a few shots when using very slow shutter speeds. Usually one or two frames work out OK. The NEX-6 and a6000, which I use most of the time now, both have viewfinders. This means that you can steady them against your face. I started off with a NEX-3 and found it more difficult to keep steady because of the lack of a an EVF. However, even with it, I was able to get good results at slower than 1/15 of a second with a little luck.

I'm currently in Madrid on a training course but last night, a Spanish colleague took us into the centre of the city to eat and look around.

These were all taken with my Sony RX100M3 handheld. I was swapping between using the in-built 'Night Scene' mode and Aperture priority mode with ISO at 400 (depending on whether I liked the image as seen on the back of the camera or not).

I have had to be fairly liberal with the noise slider in Lightroom and downsize as much as possible to be acceptable for QC. Interestingly this set took about 2 hours to pass (i.e. not instant pass) which makes me wonder if someone did take a look at one or two of the images,

2AF3A63.jpg

2AF3A95.jpg

2AF3A9C.jpg

• Love 1

3 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

They are not on sale yet but I believe a the search engine puts them up. Is that correct?

If they're captioned and tagged there will be an on sale designation below the thumbnail in the image manager. The images will show up in your portfolio and in search results after the next update. For me it usually takes place during the overnight hours.

On 04/12/2019 at 09:59, Ed Rooney said:

It's winter, the days are short, and the holiday lighting is festive. I plan to do a lot of Night Photography in the next month or two. How about you?

When shooting film in the past, I always used a tripod at night. I preferred ASA 25 Kodachrome for the shadow detail and normally bracketed through a roll or two to make sure I got the best exposures. These days, with digital, I usually shoot handheld at night. I let the IS and higher ISO's do the work of the tripod for me. I can cover a lot more territory that way. Remember I'm shooting for Alamy editorial. I have 5 stars now, so I'm not in fear of failing QC.

I shoot RAW and reduce noise in LR and have my Sonys set at A or Night Auto or Twilight. Each works well but each gives a different look.

What do you do?

museum-of-liverpool-at-night-2A6MFEP.jpg

Was the above photo handheld & how do you choose for editorial on alamy?

I bought a sony NEX cam last month (similar o yours I think) & uploaded 1 photo from it & alamy accepted it no probs. even though it was also handheld after sunset set at 1250 iso. The Sony's better on that iso than my old Olympus VG 130 pocket cam is at 100. There's another well known stock site that accepted photos even from the VG130 cam but they only pay a min of 25c.I sold I photo so far. 

• Love 1

8 hours ago, dunstun365 said:

Was the above photo handheld & how do you choose for editorial on alamy?

I bought a sony NEX cam last month (similar o yours I think) & uploaded 1 photo from it & alamy accepted it no probs. even though it was also handheld after sunset set at 1250 iso. The Sony's better on that iso than my old Olympus VG 130 pocket cam is at 100. There's another well known stock site that accepted photos even from the VG130 cam but they only pay a min of 25c.I sold I photo so far. 

Yes, that was taken handheld with my Sony RX100-6. 

If you click on your images in the Alamy Image Manager after they pass QC, you'll find two pages. One is Mandatory, the second is Optional. In Optional, I click the boxes that say I do not have model releases or property release. I do NOT click the box for "sell editorial only."

In the past I would occasionally carry a tripod

prebends-bridge-durham-uk-illuminated-fo

but these days I tend to shoot without and maybe blat the plain areas with noise reductionfamilies-looking-into-fenwicks-shop-wind

Not had much joy with Sony's special settings, but, looking at some of the results above, I perhaps need to try harder!

Edited by Bryan

I had a tripod with me a few nights ago . . . I didn't use it. And I found it heavier than I thought. Hmmm. Or hmm, if you prefer. (In the future, I will be using hmm.)

A tripod takes more planning and limits the number of subjects we can cover during the brief twilight hour. Using a flexible, higher ISO and LR noise reduction with the 3 to 4 stops help Image Stabilisation provides, allows me to move faster. Yes yes, there are effects that can be only achieved with a tripod -- we all know that. 

Edo

6 hours ago, dlmphotog said:

Wait, what?

That's almost verbatim the joke I tell in bear country 😛

This may be where it originated from. This image of this sign seems to be on line since 2003.

I have been telling it as well 👴
. A lot 🙄.

wim

7 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Wim, I had a $$ sale come into today on that Delft tile you were so kind in helping me with the proper tags. Thanks again. 

antique-delft-tile-from-the-netherlands-

It looks so much better than my own 2 tiles. Great that my own 2cts are paying off though!

You didn't carry it around in your backpack did you?

😁

wim