December 2019 Favourite uploads

hdh

One of my favourite images from a recent trip to Tulamben in Bali. These fish are generally very secretive and shelter deep inside the arms of their crinoid home. But this fish was so very sassy and just swam up into the arms and posed for a few photos...what a privilege. 

crinoid-clingfish-discotrema-crinophilum-swimming-in-the-arms-of-its-host-crinoid-tulamben-bali-indonesia-bali-sea-indian-ocean-2AF1CEM.jpg

• Love 4

8 hours ago, cbimages said:

One of my favourite images from a recent trip to Tulamben in Bali. These fish are generally very secretive and shelter deep inside the arms of their crinoid home. But this fish was so very sassy and just swam up into the arms and posed for a few photos...what a privilege. 

crinoid-clingfish-discotrema-crinophilum-swimming-in-the-arms-of-its-host-crinoid-tulamben-bali-indonesia-bali-sea-indian-ocean-2AF1CEM.jpg

So lovely!

Paulette

• Love 2

I look on this image as a soft news image, as it keeps coming up over and over again. It is an ongoing issue.

Every summer the fire department is called out 4 or 5 times to do a dangerous aerial rope rescue of a selfie nut trying to climb the unstable 300 feet tall sandstone bluffs.

Every spring the  city council debates raising the present $5,000 fine for attempting the climb.

This is a new sign this summer, but I waited until the leaves were off the trees so I could make the sign loom large and show the bluffs not obscured by leaves.

Let's see if it sells this summer.

warning-sign-do-not-climb-bluffs-scarbor

• Love 3

2AH89X2.jpg

What I assume to be a western gull (Larus occidentalis) in front, Alcatraz Island in the background, early morning light.

Composition could be better - and I did take several shots from higher and lower - but the gull looked best in this one. Probably not a big seller, but I like it.

Edited by JaniMarkus Hasa
Articles are hard when there's none in your mother language
  • Love 1

This is a horrible archival image - it comes with a health warning - scanned from an old transparency. It shows the place where I was brought up, Boldon Colliery, taken in the mid to late 1960s.

At that time every house had a coal fire, the trains were hauled by steam engines and there was the continuous noise of trains shunting and coal being graded. The air was filthy, you did get used to it, but coming home from a trip to the countryside you would smell the sulphur in the air. The pit,  the adjacent brickworks and spoil heaps are long gone. One big positive in those days, there were very few cars around and kids could play safely in the streets and walk or cycle to school. Further, there was near full employment, none of this gig economy nonsense. 

boldon-colliery-late-1960s-co-durham-eng

• Love 2

Favorite December uploads:

purisima-in-nicaragua-was-particularly-a

Religious procession in honor of the Virgin Mary, Jinotega, Nicaragua.

black-carpenter-ant-camponotus-pennsylva

Black carpenter ant explores a teak table in Philadelphia, PA.  There's an ant wiki for ant species identifications.   I took this photo many years ago, but hadn't been sure it would export large enough.

And this one was taken with a medium format camera back when.  Seneca Rocks, West Virginia, USA, observation area. 

seneca-rocks-from-an-observation-park-in

• Love 1

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

"Beehive", 1969, by Basil Spence and Fergus Sheppard, and 1912 parliament building. The flag is at half-mast for victims of the White Island eruption on December 9th.

2AHJ2AW.jpg

You’re back! Lots of consternation here for your safety. I never considered myself a worrier but guilty as charged.

• Love 1

fish-out-of-water-consumed-by-anger-dead

Not looking for images, no hi rez DSLR on me, yet stumbled upon this artfully arranged angry fish out of water. With one smooth motion I whipped out my handy Sony DSCRX 100 version 1 that is always on my belt.

I am thinking of replacing the Sony DSCRX 100 version 1 with the lightweight beltable Canon G5X Mark 11 in the New Year. The Canon seems to have specs more to my liking, while being almost as small.

• Love 1