What are these, and how come the image is being used to promote an international jazz and blues festival on facebook and their website?

Edited by LawrensonPhoto

Similar thing with me, sold an image with a PU licence back in July and discovered it was being used on several websites and facebook to promote a theatre production in The Hague. I've emailed Alamy several times now and just get a reply saying the "case is still open" and "With these cases they can take a while to investigate as we rely on the customer responding to our infringement team. I will let you know as soon as we have an outcome.".  😕

Edited by AlanW
  • Sad 1

Thanks, is the 'affiliate' thing a distributer? as of the 215 available i have 11 only checked, so I can't quite figure out how they have got hold of this image without going through alamy themselves?

Affiliate sales just mean that a third party is getting a commission It's not a distro sale as such.

This seems to be a breach of licence terms- no way does PU cover it. Do check with Alamy, but they have said in the past that they can't trace PUs as they're paid for on the spot with a credit card, so they may well release this to you to deal with yourself.

Straight to IPEC then?

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I have another question about affiliate commissions. I’ve had two this month but with widely varying percentages. Does it depend on the country? (One was to US and the other EU)

12 November 2019 alamy Commission   43.50%        
12 November 2019 Affiliate Commission   13%        

13 November 2019 Alamy Distribution Commission   30%         
13 November 2019 Distributor Commission   40% Distributor Commission

One is a distributor sale, the other is an affiliate sale: two different schemes.

A distributor is a subcontractor, selling on behalf of Alamy and taking a cut for making the sale. As I understand the affiliate scheme, an affiliate promotes Alamy: if a customer clicks through to Alamy from an affiliate site and then buys an image, the affiliate gets a (smaller) cut for sending the customer to Alamy.

Edited by DJ Myford
Additional Information
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DJ Myford said:

One is a distributor sale, the other is an affiliate sale: two different schemes.

A distributor is a subcontractor, selling on behalf of Alamy and taking a cut for making the sale. As I understand the affiliate scheme, an affiliate promotes Alamy: if a customer clicks through to Alamy from an affiliate site and then buys an image, the affiliate gets a (smaller) cut for sending the customer to Alamy.

Yes, this is how this works. The affiliate gets 10%; Rakuten gets 3%=  13% Total affiliate commission. Alamy and contributor split the remainder equally. 

13 hours ago, DJ Myford said:

Aha. Yes, thanks for that.

Edited by Sally