November 2019 Favourite uploads

gvallee

On 14/11/2019 at 09:03, Bill Brooks said:

first-snow-in-autumn-on-a-maple-tree-wit

About 5 KM from home. November 7 and an early snowfall when the last of the autumn leaves are still on some trees. A rare occurrence for Toronto, as first snowfalls are usually not as early as they were this year.

The winter weather is ahead of the game in the US too, Bill. We’ve already set records for lows here in Kansas. 9 degrees F In November, and a dusting of snow in late October. Missed out on a lot of fall color because leaves turned brown after such a hard sustained freeze.

I’m not looking forward to the rest of winter. I think it’s about 126 days until spring! 😎

The last of the tiny Gray Hairstreak butterflies before the deep freeze hit. Taken with the Fujifilm 80mm macro.
2A8BK16.jpg

Last weekend, Sunday, a balmy 70F. That night a bitter cold front came through, dropping temps to 23F for Monday, 9F Monday night. Fuji X-T2, 18-135 lens.

2A8YNM2.jpg

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

I went back and found some that I hadn't put in my portfolio just after I took them.  They either weren't obvious at the time or I needed to tweak them in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Women watching a performance at Xochimilco, Mexico City, with market goods in the background. Stock Photo

Women watching a performance of Danza de los Voladores in Xochimilco, Mexico City. 

Women making rosquillas in a small factory, Rosquillas el Arbolito, in Jinotega, Nicaragua.  Rosquillas are a corn masa based pastry. Stock Photo

Women making rosquillos in Jinotega, Nicaragua.  I did a series called "Made in Jinotega" to show various activities in my adopted town.

A block in the historic center of Mexico City on a weekend. Stock Photo

Weekend crowd on Avenida Madero in Mexico City's Historic District.   Really liked Mexico City.

• Love 1

One thing I am enjoying from this process is researching photos in order to tag them. Here, I learned the difference between chemtrails and contrails. Chemtrails is a conspiracy theory that the government showers the earth with chemicals, among other things, when these lines in the sky appear, which is impossible and disproven by science and fact. Contrails is short for "condensation trails" which is what these are: Ice crystals created by water and sediment released as exhaust. They can however modify weather and cloud patterns and are scientifically named "homomutatus", meaning human-made clouds.

Airplane condensation trails, or contrails, in sky through tree branches. Homogenitus or cirrus aviaticus: clouds created by human activity. Stock Photo

• Love 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I went back and found some that I hadn't put in my portfolio just after I took them.  They either weren't obvious at the time or I needed to tweak them in Photoshop or Lightroom.

Women watching a performance at Xochimilco, Mexico City, with market goods in the background. Stock Photo

Women watching a performance of Danza de los Voladores in Xochimilco, Mexico City. 

Women making rosquillas in a small factory, Rosquillas el Arbolito, in Jinotega, Nicaragua.  Rosquillas are a corn masa based pastry. Stock Photo

Women making rosquillos in Jinotega, Nicaragua.  I did a series called "Made in Jinotega" to show various activities in my adopted town.

A block in the historic center of Mexico City on a weekend. Stock Photo

Weekend crowd on Avenida Madero in Mexico City's Historic District.   Really liked Mexico City.

Mexico City is a difficult but fascinating place for photography. I've been there many times. I like your "Made in Jinotega" idea.

BTW, these three images look vertically stretched. Wonder why that is.

Edited by John Mitchell

I had fun playing with this one (I uploaded the original and another modified version too):

daisies-reach-for-the-sky-filtered-purple-and-yellow-spring-summer-nature-background-digital-wallpaper-2A8BA32.jpg

As Betty mentioned, fall colors this year haven't been great due to going from a warm September with green leaves, to such cold that many leaves went from green to brown. So, I figured it behooved me to process and upload some from the past. This is one from last year:

gorton-pond-east-lyme-connecticut-fall-color-2A81ADM.jpg

A few from a cute little town on the Hudson River called Cold Spring:

sailboats-and-boats-moored-on-the-hudson-river-cold-spring-putnam-county-new-york-usa-looking-across-the-river-to-highlands-ny-2A81AP1.jpg

underground-passageway-to-the-hudson-river-cold-spring-a-charming-small-town-in-putnam-county-summer-in-upstate-new-york-usa-2A81AM4.jpg

• Love 2

19 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Mexico City is a difficult but fascinating place for photography. I've been there many times. I like your "Made in Jinotega" idea.

BTW, these three images look vertically stretched. Wonder why that is.

I'm working in Firefox and noticed this more with some earlier photos dragged and dropped into the contests.  The contest ones were enlarged; these weren't.  Not sure why.  I couldn't drag and drop when I used Safari, haven't tried it recently. 

2 hours ago, MizBrown said:

I'm working in Firefox and noticed this more with some earlier photos dragged and dropped into the contests.  The contest ones were enlarged; these weren't.  Not sure why.  I couldn't drag and drop when I used Safari, haven't tried it recently. 

It depends on what page you're dragging from. There's an easy test: in the Reply box, there's a weird little icon on the right of the row of buttons. It looks like a search button, but it's the preview button.

If you cycle through the 3 formats and your image doesn't stretch, you've picked the right one.

If it does stretch/shrink/deforms, try view image and drag from there.

This one is from the view image page:

(hold the shift key while right clicking)

https://c7.alamy.com/comp/2A4PX2P/funny-donald-trump-rubber-duck-novelty-toy-2020-election-campaign-souvenirs-for-sale-2A4PX2P.jpg

And this is from the zoom page:

Funny Donald Trump rubber duck novelty toy 2020 election campaign souvenirs for sale. Stock Photo

Now if you make your window smaller or just narrower, the second  image will distort. The first one will just become smaller. 

wim

• Love 2

miami-lake-talkeetna-mountains-matanuska-susitna-alaska-usa-2A8BEJ4.jpg

empty-aluminum-canoe-on-lakeshore-of-miami-lake-talkeetna-mountains-matanuska-susitna-alaska-usa-2A9DJCF.jpg

miami-lake-talkeetna-mountains-matanuska-susitna-alaska-usa-2A8BEM0.jpg

A great location with a terrible keyword name of Miami Lake... I'm sure I'm getting lots of confused search results with this image. Miami Lake, Talkeetna Mountains, Matanuska-Susitna, Alaska, USA

A friend has a remote off-grid cabin not to far from Miami Lake that I was able to spend a week at in September. Only access during spring/summer/fall is by the last flag-stop rail service in the USA. You meet the Alaska Railroad Hurricane Turn passenger train in Talkeetna or Hurricane (another keyword confuser) were you load up your gear, food and drink then the train will stop at the requested mile maker where you unload all your stuff. A wave goodby to the train then a mile hike with a heavy backpack stuffed with provisions up to the cabin. Great fun!

• Love 3

Those are beautiful images.  Your story reminded me of an all-woman fishing trip I took to the boundary waters in Minnesota. First I drove to Wisconsin alone from Oklahoma. I met up with my friend, then the rest of the women. We drove to a stopping place in Minnesota, and portaged backpacks, tents and canoes to the water. 8 of us. 4 canoes. We’d paddle down a stream, come to mud, portage 50-100 yards again to deeper water. More than once. Came out on a big lake, and paddled to an island where we camped. We applied for a permit 6 months in advance.

We had a contest, and I caught the most fish, and the biggest. All of those women were locals, and I was from Oklahoma. I’d never fished for pike and that other one with teeth in my life. Everyone but my best friend glared at me. They couldn’t figure out how a woman who put makeup on when she crawled out of the tent could fish like that. 😂

My friend and I had never been in a canoe, so we bounced from one bank to the next in the stream. I laughed until I cried.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

^^^

A Santa Claus costume makes the perfect shoplifting disguise...

I already wondered about the contents of the sack, now it makes perfect sense :) 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Those are beautiful images.  Your story reminded me of an all-woman fishing trip I took to the boundary waters in Minnesota. First I drove to Wisconsin alone from Oklahoma. I met up with my friend, then the rest of the women. We drove to a stopping place in Minnesota, and portaged backpacks, tents and canoes to the water. 8 of us. 4 canoes. We’d paddle down a stream, come to mud, portage 50-100 yards again to deeper water. More than once. Came out on a big lake, and paddled to an island where we camped. We applied for a permit 6 months in advance.

We had a contest, and I caught the most fish, and the biggest. All of those women were locals, and I was from Oklahoma. I’d never fished for pike and that other one with teeth in my life. Everyone but my best friend glared at me. They couldn’t figure out how a woman who put makeup on when she crawled out of the tent could fish like that. 😂

My friend and I had never been in a canoe, so we bounced from one bank to the next in the stream. I laughed until I cried.

Betty

I grew up in Minnesota and my parents took me on a trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area when I was 13 years old. We spent a whole week canoeing around one island. We pulled up to shore and camped at night, but paddled all day. I perfected my loon call. Unforgettable!

30 minutes ago, The Blinking Eye said:

I grew up in Minnesota and my parents took me on a trip to the Boundary Waters Canoe Area when I was 13 years old. We spent a whole week canoeing around one island. We pulled up to shore and camped at night, but paddled all day. I perfected my loon call. Unforgettable!

Yes, it was unforgettable for me, also. I’m a bird person, and the loons were thrilling. The water was black from rotting leave fragments and such stuff that was suspended in the otherwise clear water. There was a crippled bear that swam from island to island. He didn’t visit us but we had to put all food, even chewing gum and breath mints in a bag hung high in a tree. I had a hard time falling asleep in my tent for listening for snuffling! 😁 The only bad thing was the no-see-ums, who relentlessly ignored my deet spray and bit me through my clothes. All blood-sucking insects think I’m candy. My sister always said the one way for her to not be bitten was to hang out by me.

• Love 1