November 2019 Favourite uploads

gvallee

I scrolled and scrolled but couldn't find a thread for November, so I'll kick off.

I have no idea if it will sell, but I love this portrait too much to leave it on my hard drive.

The person is an old opal miner taken a few days ago in the opal fields near Lightning Ridge in Queensland, Australia.

Obviously we can't tell from this B&W portrait, but he had amazing liquid blue eyes, matching the stripes on his shirt.

Very daring and most unusual of me, I nervously asked him if I could take his portrait. He obliged, the lovely man. 

2A86XPA.jpg

• Love 5
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, gvallee said:

The person is an old opal miner taken a few days ago in the opal fields near Lightning Ridge in Queensland, Australia.

Obviously we can't tell from this B&W portrait, but he had amazing liquid blue eyes, matching the stripes on his shirt.

That old man is really great, I love this picture!

I also spied in your portfolio for his blue eyes. 

Usually I prefer color pictures but b&w is best for this one!

My favs for November, wasnt it cat month? 😎

cat-2A7PE3F.jpg

cat-2A7PE3N.jpg

cat-2A7PE84.jpg

Edited by hdh
  • Love 2

The Port Of Corpus Christi, Texas. Have been wanting to walk the Harbor Bridge here for a long time and finally had an opportunity that resulted in this shot and others not yet processed.

elevated-view-of-the-port-of-corpus-christi-texas-usa-from-the-old-harbor-bridge-2A80NM4.jpg

Edited by jodyko
space, info
  • Love 2

Taken just last week:   North American Porcupine (Erethizon Dorsatum), also known as the Canadian Porcupine or common porcupine:

north-american-porcupine-erethizon-dorsa

He (or she -- how can you tell??) was willing to sit still and pose;  luckily I had my 70-300L lens I don't usually take when hiking because it is heavy,  so image is quite good technically.  Focus is on the face and that part is the sharpest;   little tree branch to the left was very close so that got focused too & looks bit out of place, otherwise I am quite happy with the image.

Side story, porcupine related:   Earlier this summer I was backpacking in the Rockies.  I keep my Keen Sandals in tent fly in case I have to get up in the middle of the night for bathroom break.   Around 3am some chomping sound woke me up;   thought at first it was rain drops on tent fly, but skies were clear.   Got up to take a look and -- no more than 20cm from my head porcupine feasting on my sandal!  I backpack a lot but this was first time it happened.  I managed to chase him out, but he came back determined to finish his meal.  So eventually I had to get up and hang sandals off tree.  In the morning -- this is what was left:

attachment.php?attachmentid=270472

Moral of the story -- it is really not enough to cache only food when backpacking in the wilderness.  You need to hide just about everything accessible to critters and other  beasts.  

Perhaps I will sell that porcupine photo and this will make it up for ruined sandal. It would seem like a fair thing :)

• Love 1
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, hdh said:

That old man is really great, I love this picture!

I also spied in your portfolio for his blue eyes. 

Usually I prefer color pictures but b&w is best for this one!

Thank you hdh. I next to never do b&w and I've certainly never uploaded any on Alamy but I couldn't resist this one.

This is the original colour version as you probably found out. However, I think it depicts more the pub character (which I was after) rather than the man itself.

2A86XR7.jpg

• Love 2

41 minutes ago, gvallee said:

Thank you hdh. I next to never do b&w and I've certainly never uploaded any on Alamy but I couldn't resist this one.

This is the original colour version as you probably found out. However, I think it depicts more the pub character (which I was after) rather than the man itself.

2A86XR7.jpg

I really like these portraits Gen...great to see you are getting confident to get right in there and get the shots! If you ask politely and smile, they can only say no or oblique you.The tight composition works well, but you got the environmental shot also....the details like his nicotine stained fingers and the  bandaid on his hand...This guy could tell you a lot of tales about his life...Keep it up Gen..

4 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Side story, porcupine related:   Earlier this summer I was backpacking in the Rockies.  I keep my Keen Sandals in tent fly in case I have to get up in the middle of the night for bathroom break.   Around 3am some chomping sound woke me up;   thought at first it was rain drops on tent fly, but skies were clear.   Got up to take a look and -- no more than 20cm from my head porcupine feasting on my sandal!  I backpack a lot but this was first time it happened.  I managed to chase him out, but he came back determined to finish his meal.  So eventually I had to get up and hang sandals off tree.  In the morning -- this is what was left:

Moral of the story -- it is really not enough to cache only food when backpacking in the wilderness.  You need to hide just about everything accessible to critters and other  beasts.  

Great porcupine shot! And thank you for the side story, I always find it interesting to hear about the background of a photo. In Australia, it's dingoes that run away with your shoes. Plus they also like chewing electric cables if you're camping in a van. Let's not forget mice that choose residence in your motorhome, preferably in the ceiling where you can''t get them, and run around the floor at night. I won't mention a huntsman spider the size of my hand in the shower of my motorhome (long and hilarious story to get it out) or venomous spiders in the bed. Moral of the story: if you really need to leave a door open, cover it with mosquito net! Sorry about the thread hijack.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, William Caram said:

I really like these portraits Gen...great to see you are getting confident to get right in there and get the shots! If you ask politely and smile, they can only say no or oblique you.The tight composition works well, but you got the environmental shot also....the details like his nicotine stained fingers and the  bandaid on his hand...This guy could tell you a lot of tales about his life...Keep it up Gen..

Aww... blushing... I feel I can't let you down now!!

Unfortunately, I didn't get to talk to him as there were already two persons talking to me at the same time! I regret it bitterly.

• Like 1

We're recently back from a trip to S.A and Zambia, so I have 3,000 images to work through. So far I've submitted these:

Affectionate Lions - one for the Valentines Card Trade?

A captive lion and lioness rubbing faces in an apparent show of affection. Lion and Safari Park, Hartebeespoort, South Africa - Stock Image

Statuesque Leopard:

Male African Leopard (Panthera pardus pardus) standing by a waterhole in the Pilanseberg National Park, South Africa. Side view - Stock Image

Hungry Leopard:

Male African Leopard (Panthera pardus pardus) eating an Impala (Aepyceros melampus) killed the previous night in a tree. South Luangwa National Park. - Stock Image

I don't for a moment think they'll cover the cost of the trip though!

• Love 3

Angler on cold misty day.

Angler fishing on a cold misty autumn day Milton Park 2019 Stock Photo

Lit Pret-a-Manger coffee and food sign.

Lit Pret coffee  and food sign evening at Pret A Manger Market street Cambridge city 2019 Stock Photo

Skyline sillhouette Cambridge City.

Skyline silhouette at dusk Cambridge city 2019 Stock Photo

Hardys original sweet shop.

Hardys original sweet shop Bridge Street Cambridge City 2019 Stock Photo

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
  • Love 1
  • Like 1

Favourite might not  be the right term.   As i was walking around the saturday pre-Bonhams rally event on Regent Street, i was looking for image of anachronism, people in period costume using cell phones, drinking Starbucks etc.

When i got to this car, i noticed technically this would be the wrong flag for Canada as the Maple Leaf only came into in 1965.  This lead to a discussion with both of the occupants, mainly Billi (the Lady) about it and recent Canadian events.  The next day this is the car that was involved in the horrible crash when they went off track and ended up on the M23.    

(By the time i figured i actually had an image of victim, the news cycle was over, but i uploaded the image more as a tribute.  Interestingly one of the main image used in the news has them in similar position )

RIP Ron.... hope Billi is recovering, though not sure if you ever do.  

canadian-ron-carey-who-tragically-died-during-the-london-brighton-bonhams-veteran-car-race-next-to-his-wife-billi-pictured-the-day-before-2A7YFNT.jpg

• Love 2

Quokka and peacock face off in the bar while punters buy drinks, Rottnest Hotel, Rottnest Island, Western Australia. No MR or PR Stock Photo

Continuing on Gen Vallee's Australian pub theme - an epic quokka vs peacock standoff going on in the bar of the Rottnest Hotel, Western Australia. I like how all the human punters are just getting on with buying their beers in the background.

• Love 4

8 minutes ago, LSP said:

Quokka and peacock face off in the bar while punters buy drinks, Rottnest Hotel, Rottnest Island, Western Australia. No MR or PR Stock Photo

Continuing on Gen Vallee's Australian pub theme - an epic quokka vs peacock standoff going on in the bar of the Rottnest Hotel, Western Australia. I like how all the human punters are just getting on with buying their beers in the background.

How funny!! 

Book with daily reads, open page was the current day (I do not have a clue if such a book has a special name) 

book-page-of-the-day-in-front-of-altar-in-church-2A7PEBN.jpg

And I found the time to upload my classical River Moselle shot (i.e. Never forget to have a boat in the picture ;) )

high-vantage-point-view-of-vinyards-near-nittel-and-moselle-river-rhineland-palatinate-germany-2A7PE14.jpg

• Love 1