Managed Country: Worldwide
Usage: Editorial
Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 250,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page
Start: 03 October 2019
End: 03 October 2024
SIP Bookazine. Repeat use included in a single bookazine project.

12 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Colin Woods said:

Interesting. Over here, they’re just called a series. I belong to “Bookbub” which every day offers books from free to $1.99. I have steered away from series or “bookazines” after being stung. They offer the first installment free, then charge you for all the nexts. I did luck out recently and get a 6 book series as a boxed set for free. Best I’ve read in a long time. Called “End Times” set in Australia.

Betty

Hi Betty.

I work in one of the major newsagents/stationers/book shops in this country and we sell bookazines. To us it's a cross between a book and a magazine, usually published by the same companies that publish magazines and sold from the magazine racks. Mostly they cover computing, history, music, transport and photography, and cover a specific subject within that genre, e.g. Windows or Macs for computing, a specific band's history for music, landscape or macro for photography, etc. They offer a middle ground between a weekly or monthly magazine and the more considered purchase of a book.

Hope that helps.

Brian.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I wasn't familiar with the term "bookazine" either. If it's used in Canada, I've never heard it.

It's a dreadful-sounding word IMO, even worse than "labradoodle". Who dreams these concoctions up anyway?

Ah, validation! 😁

Bookazines are on the magazine rack, but do not date themselves.  Everyone is now doing them

I picked one up of beautiful images of Canada recently. Hundreds of images about 2/3 microstock and 1/3 Alamy. Alamy charged full book prices for my images, that were in the publication. Go Alamy Go.

9 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Bookazines are on the magazine rack, but do not date themselves.  Everyone is now doing them

I picked one up of beautiful images of Canada recently. Hundreds of images about 2/3 microstock and 1/3 Alamy. Alamy charged full book prices for my images, that were in the publication. Go Alamy Go.

That's encouraging to hear. I've seen the type of publications that you mention on magazine stands but didn't realize they had a newfangled name.

I found this optimistic article about bookazines. It dates back to 2013, so I'm not sure what has happened to bookazine (formerly called "special editions") sales since then.

This is an interesting market. Does anyone else have "bookazine sales"? If so, were the prices decent? I haven't had any that I can see. I do get "books and magazine" sales quite often , though. I suppose they might cover bookazine use.