CTR explanation

BidC

Question

I wonder if someone could explain the significance of the CTR to me.

Last month I hit the dizzy heights of 0.24 (following a slow decline ). Now, two days later (and obviously the average has declined due to number of views in the previous monthly period), its now 0.18.

I'll soon be in negative figures .... (if thats possible).

Each day, when I am able (and using the 'pictures viewed' list in Measures), I adjust keywords and captions etc.

In December I'll have time to go through a lot of old images and do the same. Many times images in the same set (with same key words) don't appear in the search, so these must appear later in the page ranking and are therefore not viewed.

But this now seems (to me) a like a declining spiral - how to recover from 0.18. Whilst most people 'wow' about sales, I nearly fell off my perch to have '2' zooms (on separate days) last month 😀

No point going into the doldrums about it, but I am curious as to how the CTR affects views and page rank etc

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYCat said:

I am often surprised at how much time some generous people give to try to be useful to someone they will be competing with.

It's actually in our interest to help less experienced stock photographers because the better the overall quality of pics on Alamy, the more customers will come, and stay. But help is not just about saying kind words, it's about giving an honest appraisal. Some newcomers need to understand that although we are not all professional photographers, this is a professional marketplace, not a camera club, and if you want to make a success in a professional space it pays to listen to the advice given, in good faith, by more experienced contributors.

Alan

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

It's actually in our interest to help less experienced stock photographers because the better the overall quality of pics on Alamy, the more customers will come, and stay. But help is not just about saying kind words, it's about giving an honest appraisal. Some newcomers need to understand that although we are not all professional photographers, this is a professional marketplace, not a camera club, and if you want to make a success in a professional space it pays to listen to the advice given, in good faith, by more experienced contributors.

Alan

That does not mean giving an assassination of a portfolio - stripping me of any dignity, and making it seem as though I personally am incompetent and completely ignorant.

I asked a question about CTR, and got a brutal explanation about how poor my CTR was compared to someone else, and how they do their workflow, and how I must spend £X recalibrating the system. (If that hasn't been a problem before, and is not consistently a problem there is no 'urgent' need to do so).

That is not how 'professionals' speak to one another.

I'm not the one making this into a 'club'.

*Some* of my latter images appear dark - to work out why, whilst retaining one's own style and interests if more the objective.

(Though interestingly one of those photos deemed unacceptable was zoomed last month)

In any event, I didn't ask for the exam paper to be written for me.

End of story.

It didn't actually take 2-3 pages of discussion to work all that out.

I think some of you have a very unfortunate way of expressing yourselves. 

But Steve and I have let bygones be bygones, so I would now say the discussion, is at its end.

Edited by BidC

8 hours ago, BidC said:

This is why I have attended - the only way to learn is to learn from the professionals on the field, and they have taught me great deal. Thats better than any sale, in reality. There is always a plus side ... :) 

But I take your point about the smaller news pieces -  where I live they ask the public to supply those for free :) 

I think its probably time I found another avenue to pursue ...

Don't think I could enjoy it much again after this .. 

in all fairness i don't think @LawrensonPhoto said not to attend.  He spoke about uploading such images and the impact on CTR.  I actually it was an excellent point, which is making me reconsider how many images I should upload of such well covered images, and probably reduce my threshold of what i will post. For example whereas for a subject matter with low representation i might upload a 3* image, for well covered i should not, as the only impact would be to hurt my CTR.  

this removes nothing of what i would learn from attending. 

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Don't, have a look at the 'sold in month thread', create a lightbox from those images and just look at them from time to time to see what is really selling.

Then go from there

In 2017 I had one zoom the entire year

In 2018 62 zooms

Currently in 2019 I have 112 and rising

It can be done

I agree.