Images sold in October 2019

[Fist-pump] 

Country: Worldwide ; Usage: Editorial ;  Media: Television (editorial) ;  Print run: Unlimited transmissions ;  Placement: Use within body of show ;  Start: 30-October-2019 ; End: 30-October-2029 ; Additional Details: All media worldwide and in perpetuity

Over $200, my largest single image value for some time.

the-queen-at-trooping-the-colour-2018-with-head-coachman-philip-barnard-brown-leading-the-mall-london-uk-P19E31.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

My only $$$ sale this month.
schull-west-cork-ireland-13th-aug-2019-almost-59000-students-were-due-to-receive-their-leaving-cert-results-today-a-day-earlier-than-previous-years-checking-his-results-was-google-science-award-winner-fionn-ferreira-with-school-principal-brendan-drinan-credit-andy-gibsonalamy-live-news-W9CA6B.jpg
Usage: Single company - multiple use editorial only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 29 October 2019
Duration: Unlimited
Edited by Colblimp

Dry month and just as I thought only $ I'd get in Oct from Alamy was that DAC "bonus", bam -- my largest by margin Alamy sale drops during fabled "end of month surge" in which I'd not believe but after this I am changing my mind:

scenic-sunset-view-and-dramatic-landscap

Sunset at Playa Espadilla, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica.  Pic taken end of January '19.   They kick out out from park at 5:30pm which really sucks (this is why beach is deserted!).   But I clambered some rocks outside park and waited for sunset.   Ironically, although I had FF Canon SLR with me,  this pic was taken with little Sony Rx100,  pocket camera I swear by.   I also used in-camera HDR mode & totally expected nothing good would come out of it, but what do I know.    Pic was also edited in CS6 because I really wanted to bring colors out and clean up noise.  This is end result ---  even after Alamy took 60%  my share is still $$$.     It really brings in my mind yet again question of micro-stock swamp where I contribute to several agencies.   I am slowly  starting to upload higher end images exclusively to Alamy.    Cheers, I am happy today not because of money but because it feels good to get decent reward for work I invested quite a bit into and more than anything enjoyed making.

• Love 5
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

Dry month and just as I thought only $ I'd get in Oct from Alamy was that DAC "bonus", bam -- my largest by margin Alamy sale drops during fabled "end of month surge" in which I'd not believe but after this I am changing my mind:

scenic-sunset-view-and-dramatic-landscap

Sunset at Playa Espadilla, Manuel Antonio National Park, Costa Rica.  Pic taken end of January '19.   They kick out out from park at 5:30pm which really sucks (this is why beach is deserted!).   But I clambered some rocks outside park and waited for sunset.   Ironically, although I had FF Canon SLR with me,  this pic was taken with little Sony Rx100,  pocket camera I swear by.   I also used in-camera HDR mode & totally expected nothing good would come out of it, but what do I know.    Pic was also edited in CS6 because I really wanted to bring colors out and clean up noise.  This is end result ---  even after Alamy took 60%  my share is still $$$.     It really brings in my mind yet again question of micro-stock swamp where I contribute to several agencies.   I am slowly  starting to upload higher end images exclusively to Alamy.    Cheers, I am happy today not because of money but because it feels good to get decent reward for work I invested quite a bit into and more than anything enjoyed making.

Congratulations. Very nice image. Which model of Rx100 did you use?

Manuel Antonio is a special place. I was there in the late 90's. Loved the beaches, but a pack of capuchin monkeys almost stole my lunch. They were a wily bunch and probably would have snatched my camera bag as well if I had been foolish enough to put it down.

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Congratulations. Very nice image. Which model of Rx100 did you use?

Manuel Antonio is a special place. I was there in the late 90's. Loved the beaches, but a pack of capuchin monkeys almost stole my lunch. They were a wily bunch and probably would have snatched my camera bag as well if I had been foolish enough to put it down.

John -- Sony Rx 100 Mk 1.  There is little story behind it:   Couple of weeks before Costa Rica I was in Belize;  did day trek to Actun Tunichil Muknal cave (I am sure you know about!).   They don't allow cameras in the cave.   I thought I'd be "smart" and put my Rx in ziploc, then strapped around my waist below swimming trunks.  Well that was as dumb of a thing I could do -- didn't take any pics and camera got wet and stopped working!     Week later I was in Antigua, Guatemala;   took it to small camera store, but they couldn't fix it.  But then, just as things work in Latin America, store owner calls his friend who brings his Rx he was trying to sell.  Cash only, no warranty, nothing -- if it stopped working the next day I'd get nothing back.  I gambled and bought it (~200 USD).    Eventually it did stop working this summer, but it is already paid off as this is not only sale from Central America trip.    I have now Rx100 Mk 3 and it is quite good.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

John -- Sony Rx 100 Mk 1.  There is little story behind it:   Couple of weeks before Costa Rica I was in Belize;  did day trek to Actun Tunichil Muknal cave (I am sure you know about!).   They don't allow cameras in the cave.   I thought I'd be "smart" and put my Rx in ziploc, then strapped around my waist below swimming trunks.  Well that was as dumb of a thing I could do -- didn't take any pics and camera got wet and stopped working!     Week later I was in Antigua, Guatemala;   took it to small camera store, but they couldn't fix it.  But then, just as things work in Latin America, store owner calls his friend who brings his Rx he was trying to sell.  Cash only, no warranty, nothing -- if it stopped working the next day I'd get nothing back.  I gambled and bought it (~200 USD).    Eventually it did stop working this summer, but it is already paid off as this is not only sale from Central America trip.    I have now Rx100 Mk 3 and it is quite good.

Too bad the camera you bought in Antigua has stopped working.

I guess there's a moral to the story. Perhaps I'll buy one of those amazing little cameras one of these years. Thanks.

P.S. I know of the cave you mentioned but haven't been there. Belize is an intriguing little country to travel in. Last time I was there, I took a boat up the New River to the isolated Maya ruins of Lamanai. Very enjoyable trip. Would recommend.

Belize is interesting indeed. I spent few days in Caye Caulker, and that was quite nice,  although I didn't go to see famous Blue Cave.

As this is photography forum, here's bit more about eventual Rx 100 failure someone might find useful.  About 5 months after Antigua purchase, back in Canada, lens wouldn't fully extend after you turn camera on. Screen would flash with infamous "Turn camera off, than on".   I thought I had grain of sand somewhere from Cuba beaches I visited later on.  Tried to clean it by inserting sheet of paper and twisting, then blow air stream but no help.  Then unscrewed back cover, and camera started working!!  Screw back - problem again.  Ok, so I used it next 4-6 weeks without screws and it was ok, but then problem reappeared.  Long story short: problem was not mechanical, but electrical.  It is one small cable (used for stabilization) that needed to be replaced.  Cable itself is cheap, but I don't have knowledge or equipment for such procedure; only option was to send camera to Sony, but it would cost way more than whole camera was worth.  

I am not upset; I got 5 months out of "Antigua gamble" and many images from Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba later on; in that respect 200 I gave to guy in Guatemala are already recovered (with interest) from stock sales + more importantly memories.  I didn't throw it, just took battery out which is now spare for Mk 3; maybe I'll meet some amatur buddy with knowledge in micro-electronics that will know how to replace that one cable.  It's all good :)

5 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Belize is interesting indeed. I spent few days in Caye Caulker, and that was quite nice,  although I didn't go to see famous Blue Cave.

As this is photography forum, here's bit more about eventual Rx 100 failure someone might find useful.  About 5 months after Antigua purchase, back in Canada, lens wouldn't fully extend after you turn camera on. Screen would flash with infamous "Turn camera off, than on".   I thought I had grain of sand somewhere from Cuba beaches I visited later on.  Tried to clean it by inserting sheet of paper and twisting, then blow air stream but no help.  Then unscrewed back cover, and camera started working!!  Screw back - problem again.  Ok, so I used it next 4-6 weeks without screws and it was ok, but then problem reappeared.  Long story short: problem was not mechanical, but electrical.  It is one small cable (used for stabilization) that needed to be replaced.  Cable itself is cheap, but I don't have knowledge or equipment for such procedure; only option was to send camera to Sony, but it would cost way more than whole camera was worth.  

I am not upset; I got 5 months out of "Antigua gamble" and many images from Costa Rica, Panama, Cuba later on; in that respect 200 I gave to guy in Guatemala are already recovered (with interest) from stock sales + more importantly memories.  I didn't throw it, just took battery out which is now spare for Mk 3; maybe I'll meet some amatur buddy with knowledge in micro-electronics that will know how to replace that one cable.  It's all good :)

Sometimes a lens reset helps. Obviously not with an electrical failure.

Shut the camera off. Put it on a table with the lens down. Press down lightly with one hand and turn the camera on. The focusing system should now do a calibration run.

wim

louis-joseph-marquis-de-montcalm-unknown

RF $$ editorial only, non exclusive, public domain image.

Usage: Magazine, editorial print and digital use, up to 1/8 page, inside, repeat use within a single issue

I hand held photographed this painting of Montcalm. A Canadian historic figure that is on display in a museum, with my Sony RX100 version 1.

The problem was when I lined up the camera square with the painting there was a white reflection of the ambient lighting on the surface of the painting. I moved to the side to eliminate the reflection. Shooting from offside at an angle resulted that the painting was no longer square. I squared it back to normal with the lens module in Adobe Camera Raw and then cropped the painting's frame.

The other problem was colour balance. In a second image I underexposed the white information sign beside the painting giving me a grey reference for Adobe Camera Raw.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Sometimes a lens reset helps. Obviously not with an electrical failure.

Shut the camera off. Put it on a table with the lens down. Press down lightly with one hand and turn the camera on. The focusing system should now do a calibration run.

wim

Yes;  I tried that one too.   Internet / YouTube is full of  remedy suggestions for  Rx "Turn camera off then on"  error message.   One of them being "remove the screws", which worked for me for awhile.   What eventually helped pinpoint real problem was occasional blur on back screen after camera does came on.  Presumably there is little stabilizer wire somewhere on the board that starts failing with time;  several people reported exactly the same scenario.  

Second sale for Oct which came on 31st for low $$

Usage: Single Company - Multiple editorial use only
Industry sector: Media, design & publishing
Start: 31 October 2019
End: 31 October 2021

W5AE93.jpg

Edited by Gnans

Already November but last minute sales for $$$.

It payed my sea urchin and beers of 7 years ago.

Media: Magazine - print, digital and electronic
Print run: up to 500,000
Placement: Inside
Image Size: 1 page

Puglia, Italy, fresh sea urchin at a terrace of restaurant on a coast Stock Photo

On 17/10/2019 at 17:40, Thyrsis said:

Oxford skyline at dawn. The watery looking foreground is actually an empty park and ride car park!! $$

oxford-skyline-at-dawn-AMMEEK.jpg

I found that this Oxford  image was used in the Wall Street Journal to illustrate an article about Philip Pullman’s latest book. Made me smile as we live in the same village as Philip Pullman!