Those Homepage Alamy Abstracts?

Ed Rooney

Question

We see so many abstract images on the Alamy homepage these days.

I would like to do more of that kind of shooting, but I'm confused about the tagging. What would be the way to put abstract images in the path of searching buyers? 

Here's one of mine, but it's recognizable as skyscrapers. How does one tag pure abstractions, backgrounds for example? 

DYB8PC.jpg

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Not sure of your definition of abstract John. Here is a very small sampling of my past sales that might qualify as abstract. Prices are all over the map.

Beautiful images. It's easy to see why they licensed. I'm not sure that some of them are the type of images that Edo was referring to. However, Alamy has used all manner of "abstracts" on the homepage. It's not an easy term to define. 

6 hours ago, BidC said:

Thank you Edo - Thats really kind of you.  I miss it, though I don't miss the way our NHS is going, sadly. But it was quite a life !

I remember 9/11 clearly as I was on nights, and arrived at work to be told. Saw all those deeply shocking and heart breaking images later in the night.

Most docs are very skilled, dedicated, and caring but as with anything, it takes a team approach to achieve the end goal. Nurses provide that balance (imo).

I agree with Edo. I always wanted to take my nurses home. I was told that if I had questions my chemo nurse would know the most and it was true. All angels and knew more about how to cope than the doctors did. Not that the doctors aren't great but a whole different task. 18 year survivor of breast cancer and grateful every day.

Paulette

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, BidC said:

Thank you Edo - Thats really kind of you.  I miss it, though I don't miss the way our NHS is going, sadly. But it was quite a life !

I remember 9/11 clearly as I was on nights, and arrived at work to be told. Saw all those deeply shocking and heart breaking images later in the night.

Most docs are very skilled, dedicated, and caring but as with anything, it takes a team approach to achieve the end goal. Nurses provide that balance (imo).

My sister is a retired nurse who worked for her Dr. husband. When she quit working, he was lost because he said the patients told her everything, all the symptoms. She was a pretty good diagnostician, too, and the doctor relied on her insight. Of course, his was the final word, but more often than not, they lined up! In fact, she caught some things that he missed. A good nurse is invaluable.

I credit:

1. Intelligence

2. Womens’ intuition! (Plus often, we listen better.)

Betty

• Thanks 1

On 15/09/2019 at 18:50, NYCat said:

18 year survivor of breast cancer and grateful every day.

That's wonderful to know, Paulette.

I worked with children and sick babies - I think doctors working in that area can speak the language of their patients, but in the adult world I often hear that there is more of a 'language barrier'.

On 16/09/2019 at 01:09, Betty LaRue said:

My sister is a retired nurse who worked for her Dr. husband. When she quit working, he was lost because he said the patients told her everything, all the symptoms. She was a pretty good diagnostician, too, and the doctor relied on her insight. Of course, his was the final word, but more often than not, they lined up! In fact, she caught some things that he missed. A good nurse is invaluable.

I credit:

1. Intelligence

2. Womens’ intuition! (Plus often, we listen better.)

Betty

Yeah - its a team effort. But I agree where intuition is concerned :) 

On 15/09/2019 at 12:50, NYCat said:

I agree with Edo. I always wanted to take my nurses home. I was told that if I had questions my chemo nurse would know the most and it was true. All angels and knew more about how to cope than the doctors did. Not that the doctors aren't great but a whole different task. 18 year survivor of breast cancer and grateful every day.

Paulette

Fifteen for me, Paulette! Yay for us!

My only abstract to sell here in the past few years:

solar-panel-photovoltaic-cells-array-close-up-blue-sky-copy-space-ERY05Y.jpg

I believe it was used by an energy company low $$. These types of images tend to sell a lot on certain other sites - but I think many clients are interested in a one-stop shop so that pushing this type of image may be a good idea. It sure would be fun to see one of my photos as an Alamy cover.

Have any of you had Alamy cover images? Do they tend to sell? I guess you could have one and not even know it if you don't check daily. 

And kudos Betty & Bridget for your work helping others. My daughter and I got a booth together after Hurricane Katrina at our community day and with the help of our town and trucks and drivers from surrounding towns managed to collect two huge truckloads (large semi-sized trucks) of clothing, toys and small appliances for Hurricane survivors. It was a last minute effort due to the timing, but so many people saw what we were doing, went home, got stuff and brought it back. Folks from Mississippi and Louisiana paid us back after Hurricane Sandy when their energy companies sent crews here to help us get the lights back  (I'm talking about the guys who were working on our street - and of course people around the world helped us after 9/11). That human urge to help is thankfully ingrained especially when disaster strikes. It would be good if we felt as charitable toward our fellow man every day, but thank goodness at least disasters bring out the best in most people (with some notable exceptions). And kudos Betty and Paulette on winning your battles with cancer. That's real courage. 

• Love 2