1 minute ago, Jan Brown said:

I still don't really understand exactly what 'click through rate' means. The first click on your photo, before it's zoomed? The 'rate' being dependent on whether they DO zoom? Dunno, but it seems designed to create anxiety through a sort of micro-management.

CTR is the ratio between pics that are viewed and pics that are zoomed. As someone said earlier in this thread, a 'view' is simply an instance of your photo appearing on a search page, regardless of whether the searcher actually noticed it or not.

Alan

• Love 1

It's easy (and counter-productive) to get caught up in the complexities of Alamy's algoriths. The best approach, IMO, is just to concentrate on tightly focussed captions and tags, and not be concerned, for example, about the inevitable 'false hits'.

If I was putting a calendar together, 'cute kittens' represents just the kind of keywords I would choose...

• Love 2
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

I still don't really understand exactly what 'click through rate' means. 

On the dashboard in "Alamy measures, Your Images"  is the explanation:

What is “Your CTR” ?

CTR stands for “Click Through Rate” which is the number of zooms divided by the number of views, multiplied by 100.

Some would disagree but I would NOT get worried about it, it's only one ingredient used in the algorithm  to measure your overall ranking.

Gen

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2
  • Like 1

Alamy wants to ensure that the best - and most appropriate - images appear towards the front of any searches (though any random search will show that this is not always the case!).

Our ranking will no doubt depend on CRT, and sales, and some other 'secret sauce' that Alamy isn't disclosing...

• Love 1

18 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

Why does one need a ranking? 

Sorry Jan, doing too many things at the same time, I edited my post to say 'I would NOT worry about it. CTR that is. Ranking is important. It's where your images appear in a search. Usually photos researchers only look at the first couple of pages.

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

Why does one need a ranking? 

customer experience so they buy and come back.  

imagine a store with no attendant that only offers you unwanted products up front and makes you have to rummage though the back shed to get what you actually want,  would you feel like coming back?  

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

I just searched on the first thing I saw out of my window - 'cherry tree'. I saw no great difference between the images on page 1 and those on page 14.

What the ranking system ensures is that the big boys get to muscle their way to the top of the searches. I daresay they have worked hard, have great images and many of them, but it means that an exquisite image by a 'little boy' may never be seen.

Not true. New contributors start with a 'median' ranking. What happens after that is up to each contributor: maintaining image quality, diversity of imagery, not too many 'similars', accurate and appropriate captions and keywords. Those who take the most care will rise up the rankings; those who don't will go down...

• Love 1

Just now, Jan Brown said:

I get your analogy, but it's predicated on the assumption that the guys with big ports and lots of sales ALWAYS have the best images and that everyone else NEVER does. I'm trying to resist using the cliche 'level playing field' but it's hard, and I do get that hard work and professionalism have to pay off here.

I guess we're back to finding a niche so that there are simply less photographs coming up in searches that might include yours. And hoping that they use the 'new' filter, although sometimes much older images than mine are still placed higher there! 

it's not based on size of port it's a ratio of how many times image that appeared in search were relevant to the buyer, as defined by Alamy

10 click through  out 1000

ranks higher than

40 out of 10000

16 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

you said you have the KW "social activity" so i was curious if that's something that would be searched .

How do you do that (ie search for KW to see how often they crop up) ? Sounds useful. And please could you say what AOA is ?? (Probably obvious, but I cant work it out - 'Alamy OA' .. (?) )

22 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

I just searched on the first thing I saw out of my window - 'cherry tree'. I saw no great difference between the images on page 1 and those on page 14.

What the ranking system ensures is that the big boys get to muscle their way to the top of the searches. I daresay they have worked hard, have great images and many of them, but it means that an exquisite image by a 'little boy' may never be seen.

Thats the nature of the game, unfortunately. Having been involved in a previous life in sifting through 100s of CVs, a similar occurrence happens. One is duty obliged in that scenario to sift through all, but generally there are factors which jump out that make you want to choose one candidate. It'll be same here, except that one is not obliged to sift through 100s of images (though many do, probably within a team). As with many things in life, the choice is very personal to the person or company.

Edited by BidC

14 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but a ‘view’ doesn’t mean that someone has actually viewed your image. It means that your image was on a page that someone has viewed. Only zooms mean that someone has actually chosen your image to look at.

Makes complete sense, but am ashamed to say that never occurred to me :) Thank you for pointing it out .. (!)

7 minutes ago, BidC said:

Thats the nature of the game, unfortunately. Having been involved in a previous life in sifting through 100s of CVs, a similar occurrence happens. One is duty obliged in that scenario to sift through all, but generally there are factors which jump out that make you want to choose one candidate. It'll be same here, except that one is not obliged to sift through 100s of images (though many do, probably within a team). As with many things in life, the choice is very personal to the person or company.

yeah i remember telling student applying for a Coop program that they had on average 20 seconds in the first go through the pile of 200 CV we would receive.  i think it was a shock to them

• Love 1