My apologies if you think I'm out of order.

However, I don't react very well to bullies, and I would certainly not back down and put my camera away if I knew I was within my rights.

Years ago I came across a road traffic accident on Westminster Bridge, attended by all the emergency services, I was on the opposite side of the road, about 40 yards away not interfering with there work attending to the scene. It made a good stock shot. I was jumped on by a young officer saying I can't take photographs, to which I replied you can ask me to stop but you can't prevent me, I'm not obstructing anyone, I'm a freelance press photographer and I will carry on, the officer walked away.

Stand up for your rights, we live in a free country.

• Love 1
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You may now have queered the pitch for the OP and possibly others, for something you're not even attending. You might want to have a think about that.

Are you a clairvoyant? You know what I'm upto this weekend???

I don't have to explain myself to you, but to get your blood pressure down I will.

I have relatives near Bath that me and my wife are staying with, amongst other things we are planning to spend a few hours at the event.

2 minutes ago, Jan Brown said:

Except that the situation I described doesn't affect you and your email has potentially made taking photos at the festival even more problematic than it already was.

Are you going to let bullies walk all over you ar stand up to them?

1 minute ago, Tony said:

My apologies if you think I'm out of order.

However, I don't react very well to bullies, and I would certainly not back down and put my camera away if I knew I was within my rights.

Years ago I came across a road traffic accident on Westminster Bridge, attended by all the emergency services, I was on the opposite side of the road, about 40 yards away not interfering with there work attending to the scene. It made a good stock shot. I was jumped on by a young officer saying I can't take photographs, to which I replied you can ask me to stop but you can't prevent me, I'm not obstructing anyone, I'm a freelance press photographer and I will carry on, the officer walked away.

Stand up for your rights, we live in a free country.

Similar circumstances when back in the 80's came across a police car with roof cut away like a bake bean tin, that had been in collision with a fuel tanker that had jack knifed. Ambulance had left, firemen and police still present and fuel spill being cleaned up. I photographed from well back with a 75-150 zoom. One policeman wanted me to stop photographing and threatened to arrest me for obstruction. This was a common occurrence, they would later release without charge, having effectively stopped you photographing. I called his bluff, and asked to speak to the senior officer present. He went away and never returned. There's times for tact, other times not.

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Are you a clairvoyant? You know what I'm upto this weekend???

I don't have to explain myself to you, but to get your blood pressure down I will.

I have relatives near Bath that me and my wife are staying with, amongst other things we are planning to spend a few hours at the event.

I did say "may", and you did wonder out loud where Melksham was, hence my assumption, but thanks for explaining.

Just now, sb photos said:

Similar circumstances when back in the 80's came across a police car with roof cut away like a bake bean tin, that had been in collision with a fuel tanker that had jack knifed. Ambulance had left, firemen and police still present and fuel spill being cleaned up. I photographed from well back with a 75-150 zoom. One policeman wanted me to stop photographing and threatened to arrest me for obstruction. This was a common occurrence, they would later release without charge, having effectively stopped you photographing. I called his bluff, and asked to speak to the senior officer present. He went away and never returned. There's times for tact, other times not.

Well done for standing up to the bully

Anyway, I've done what I've done, sorry to those who think I'm out of order.

Bur unless we challenge these stupid concocted restrictions we won't be able to take a photo anywhere.

I'm off for my dinner, goodnight all, and have a nice peaceful weekend, hopefully without being bothered by bullies.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

Are you going to let bullies walk all over you ar stand up to them?

I got the impression that, following some of our comments, Jan was probably going to approach this in her own quiet way. You may have closed off that option.

We don't have to fight the good fight all the time, sometimes "softly, softly, catchee monkey" may be the best approach. If asked, I'm never a professional photographer. With a Sony A5x I don't look like one. But the images do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I will cast another vote for hokum and nonsense. These people are blowing smoke. 

It's been a long time since I worked as a photojournalist but when I did I played by one basic rule: get the picture. 

I had a similar problem in a large public market in Montreal a few years back. A pesky security guard kept telling me that I couldn't take photos. I just nodded and waited for him to disappear. Some the photos I took there have done quite well on Alamy.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

We need to stand up to anyone who tries to stop us shooting in public (even at organised events).
There are quite a few videos on youtube where people are behaving legally and are challenged.
People need educating as to what we as photographers can do, to prevent real life bullies as can be seen in this clip.

Put 'Police audit UK' into Youtube.
I don't have any connection to these video makers, and they may be seen as bolshie... but the law is on their side!

On 29/08/2019 at 09:18, Jan Brown said:

Watched the video. Nobody came out of it well.

Nicaragua has the same law as the US, but one photographer a few years back was roughed up by a cop when he photographed a bank building at 8 p.m. (dark here).  The local pro photography FB group commented that he was legally in the right to photograph, but reality was that cops kinda make their own rules.   Also happens in the US from time to time, and obviously in the UK.  Some photographers carry a card with the relevant state law on it and simply hand that to whoever is challenging them. 

12 hours ago, MizBrown said:

Nicaragua has the same law as the US, but one photographer a few years back was roughed up by a cop when he photographed a bank building at 8 p.m. (dark here).  The local pro photography FB group commented that he was legally in the right to photograph, but reality was that cops kinda make their own rules.   Also happens in the US from time to time, and obviously in the UK.  Some photographers carry a card with the relevant state law on it and simply hand that to whoever is challenging them. 

There was a time in the UK when it was fairly widespread that ani terrorist legislation was wrongly used to hinder legitimate photographers. There were flash mob protests outside Scotland Yard and a large Trafalgar Square demonstration 'I'm a photographer not a terrorist'. I'd never seen so many photographers posing and photographing each other. Was organised by Jess Hurd, Grant Smith and other pro photographers. The organisation is still ticking over and occasionally hi lights abuse of police powers with regards to photographers here in the UK.

Edited by sb photos
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, sb photos said:

There was a time in the UK when it was fairly widespread that ani terrorist legislation was wrongly used to hinder legitimate photographers. There were flash mob protests outside Scotland Yard and a large Trafalgar Square demonstration 'I'm a photographer not a terrorist'. I'd never seen so many photographers posing and photographing each other. Was organised by Jess Hurd, Grant Smith and other pro photographers. The organisation is still ticking over and occasionally hi lights abuse of police powers with regards to photographers here in the UK.

It is also picked up by the photographic press on occasions.

Allan