Sold to America...

Looking at my sales for this year so far, most of them (81%) have US listed as the Region.  But I know Canada, where I am, is also considered to be within that region because I've had Canadian distributor sales with US assigned as the region.    I've only had a few UK region sales, and the prices are lower because they seem to be for the media or social media.

Of my US region sales, most of them (76%) are photos taken of Canadian places.  Only 10% are of American locations. 

All of my PU sales this year have had US as the region.

40 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

Sorry John, I haven't tracked it that way. But until the last couple of years, all of my subjects were within the US, so my sales have probably always been mostly US.

I haven't closely tracked US sales either, but I'd say that roughly 50% US sales has probably always been the case for me.

17 minutes ago, MariaJ said:

Looking at my sales for this year so far, most of them (81%) have US listed as the Region.  But I know Canada, where I am, is also considered to be within that region because I've had Canadian distributor sales with US assigned as the region.    I've only had a few UK region sales, and the prices are lower because they seem to be for the media or social media.

Of my US region sales, most of them (76%) are photos taken of Canadian places.  Only 10% are of American locations. 

All of my PU sales this year have had US as the region.

That's interesting. I wondered where Canadian sales get put. It sounds as if we're lumped together with our big neighbour to the south, as per usual. 😖

Almost all of my PU sales are listed as US as well.

Edited by John Mitchell

14 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

No shame at all.

The US side of the business helps to keep the Alamy doors open, so that helps all contributors. Where would Alamy be, for all contributors, without the US sales amounting to 50% of revenue?

If the British pound drops in value because of Brexit, the US dollars will be even more help to all contributors.

You need some place to put your images of the UK.

One thing I noticed, was that back when Alamy opened the USA office, some astute UK based contributors took shooting trips in the USA, in preparation for the US business.

The 'shame' - as in something unfortunate - was that it was contributors who were forced to pay for this investment and yet many see little or no return from it. And then we have had another cut in commission regardless of our forced investment in US bringing in a large additional amount of revenue. I really don't see why I should be pleased about two significant cuts in commission.

A falling £ only helps if the original sales before conversion are not in £. If a photographer is not getting sales in the US then they won't be seeing any benefit.

Region since 2004:

EU        =    19%
ROW    =    15%
UK        =    29%
US        =    37%

Countries is a long list which I may do at Dec 4th, because then it's 10 years since I did the list I was able to find. (I know I did one here since, but cannot find it.)

In 2009 I even calculated total $$ for each country.  (Country as given in the spreadsheet. Like Country: UK & Commonwealth excluding Canada or Country: Texas. 😁)

Why would I do that list in December 2009? Was that when the US office opened? Probably just because someone asked for it.

wim

Regions since 2003:

UK        =    39.8%

ROW    =    35.07%

US        =    21.77%

EU        =    6.59%

Other countries represent a tiny percentage, mostly through distributors, in that order:

Germany, Japan, Brazil, Russia, Italy, France, Poland, China, Canada, Czech Republic, Turkey, Spain, Israel, Hungary, Sweden, Belgium, South Africa, Taiwan, Holland, Slovak Republic, New Zealand, India, Bulgaria, UAE, Slovenia, Estonia, Portugal, Middle East, Greece, Chile, Finland, Norway, Romania, Argentina, Ireland, Papua New Guinea, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Ghana, Nigeria, Serbia, Thailand.

More stats:

Sold Images from the US = 62 (almost exclusively birds, wildlife, plants)
Sold images to the US = 175 (I have no quick easy way to track the subject of these which was really what the OP was interested in. Sorry about that)

I can't say I have noticed an increase of sales to the US since the US office opening but that's perhaps also because I have been concentrating on Australia for the past 8 years or so.

Gen

Edited by gvallee
  • Love 1

Regions since 2004:

EU     =  12.6%

ROW =   8.4%

UK     =  11.2%

US     =  67.8%

I could divide it into before and after US office opening, if someone could remind me when that happened.  

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

In my 10 years with Alamy I've had a great many Worldwide sales, but only ever one specifically for the USA. And that was a photo of Canada.

Alan

The licence detail may only say "worldwide". "Region" tells you where the client is.

&ages and average nett return since first sale in June 2014, based on 853 reported sales:

Region % of sales Average nett return
EU 13.85% $8.11
ROW 4.58% $10.04
UK 77.65% $9.92
US 3.35% $22.08

For me, US average prices are more than double the average returns for other regions but only represent a small proportion of my overall sales.  No $$$ for US so far.

• Love 1

My listings are Worldwide, United Kingdom, Hungary, India, Germany.

WW =         64%

UK  =          27%

Hungary =  1%

India =        1%

Germany = 6%

US =            0%

Allan

Just now, Allan Bell said:

My listings are Worldwide, United Kingdom, Hungary, India, Germany.

WW =         64%

UK  =          27%

Hungary =  1%

India =        1%

Germany = 6%

US =            0%

Allan

The areas you have quoted are from "licence detail". "Worldwide" breaks down further into UK,EU,US and ROW. That's under "region" in net revenue.

9 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

The areas you have quoted are from "licence detail". "Worldwide" breaks down further into UK,EU,US and ROW. That's under "region" in net revenue.

Ah! Thanks.

Allan

EDIT: How do you get into net revenue?  Please put this question down to age.

Edited by Allan Bell

18 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Ah! Thanks.

Allan

EDIT: How do you get into net revenue?  Please put this question down to age.

Dashboard>download sales report>set date range right back to when youstarted (takes a while, one month at a time)>date of invoice>go>download then open with Excel. Region is the rightmost column.

Edited by spacecadet

Just now, spacecadet said:

Dashboard>download sales report>set date range right back to when youstarted (takes a while, one month at a time)>go>download then open with Excel. Region is the rightmost column.

Thanks Mark.

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

deleted. Still trying to insert from iPad but only getting the link, not the image. I give up.

Are you clicking the "Insert image from URL" bar at the bottom right-right hand corner of the reply box?  You should then just have to paste the image's URL in the space provided. Et voilà !

Edited by John Mitchell

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Are you clicking the "Insert image from URL" bar at the bottom right-right hand corner of the reply box?  You should then just have to paste the image's URL in the space provided. Et voilà !

Yes I am, but it’s not bottom right on the iPad, it’s in the header at the top of the message box. Where the bold, italic, underline crossthrough and next is the symbol that looks like a paper clip or piece of chain. That’s the one I click on, and use the insert url thing. Omg...I didn’t see that box on the bottom right. Slapping myself...just a moment...I’m dizzy. Slapped too hard.

I’ll try it now. I’m so dumb. 😒

It worked.  I’m over my dizziness,  I’ll go stitch up my throat, now. Posted in the sold in August thread. Thanks everyone. You know who you are. It takes a village to raise me.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue

3 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yes I am, but it’s not bottom right on the iPad, it’s in the header at the top of the message box. Where the bold, italic, underline crossthrough and next is the symbol that looks like a paper clip or piece of chain. That’s the one I click on, and use the insert url thing. Omg...I didn’t see that box on the bottom right. Slapping myself...just a moment...I’m dizzy. Slapped too hard.

I’ll try it now. I’m so dumb. 😒

It worked.  I’m over my dizziness,  I’ll go stitch up my throat, now. Posted in the sold in August thread. Thanks everyone. You know who you are. It takes a village to raise me.

Betty

Sorry, I meant "bottom right-hand" (not "bottom right-right hand" corner. Sometimes I repeat repeat myself.

Anyway, you seem to have found a solution. That's good.

Got there - at last.

EU      =   4%

ROW  =   3%

UK     =  88%

US     =    3%

Allan

Scuse me being a wuss.😞