Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Just been scrolling through the Live News feed and saw punnets of strawberries with price tags.¬† HOW IS THAT LIVE NEWS?!!!!!!!!¬† ūüė≤

Edited by Colblimp
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

Just been scrolling through the Live News feed and saw punnets of strawberries with price tags.¬† HOW IS THAT LIVE NEWS?!!!!!!!!¬† ūüė≤

Asking in general or asking Alamy? ūüėČ

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't see it now. I expect someone is now looking at a "not what our customers want" e-mail.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or the two sets of "Animals in the Zoo" which have appeared today!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These sort of images have always been passed off as Live news from time to time, I haven't seen the images but they are no different to those depicting "Britain bakes in the heatwave" with generic beach shots? 

Bumper week of visitors to Zoo as kids holidays are hit by wet weather?

Strawberries sales plummet as wet August continues?

Perhaps this is why Alamy removed access to so many of us?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Certainly a lot of weather shots - lots of animals too...

Interesting to me was the sheep in Germany being used to keep the landscape in shape. They do the same thing here in New York in a state park by the Hudson River where they use goats and sheep to keep the long grasses in shape. It saves the gasoline and cost of lawn mowers and helps the local farmers. Yes we have farms within about 1/2 hour from midtown Manhattan. 

I used to upload those types of photos to live news and found a fair number sold, though usually later on. 

I think there are enough UK newspapers who do those "shots of the day" and probably rely on the Alamy news feed for these quirky types of photos. Wish that they were streaming them to US newspapers who look for the same. 

Edited by Marianne

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also it gets you past QC with a lower image quality and gets it up for sale quicker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting those photo of the day type images up quickly has got to be a good reason to go that route. I guess reportage does the same but the images aren't featured the way live news is. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Steve Tucker said:

These sort of images have always been passed off as Live news from time to time, I haven't seen the images but they are no different to those depicting "Britain bakes in the heatwave" with generic beach shots? 

Bumper week of visitors to Zoo as kids holidays are hit by wet weather?

Weather pics are genuine live news - even Alamy itself advises shooting weather as those types of photos are always in demand.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colblimp said:

Weather pics are genuine live news - even Alamy itself advises shooting weather as those types of photos are always in demand.

I liked today's school leaving pictures especially the kid with the beard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I liked today's school leaving pictures especially the kid with the beard!

Thanks - the beard in question is magnificent in real life!  I photographed him skateboarding when he was a little kid - he's certainly grown up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One I've just noticed - "Butterflies in Belarus". 

Ironically, there is a chance they actually are almost newsworthy, as they are Painted Lady butterflies that will have migrated from Africa, and that is a story every year.

Shame, therefore, that there is no mention of migration in the caption - or even the species of butterfly.

How do these get through???

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

One I've just noticed - "Butterflies in Belarus". 

Ironically, there is a chance they actually are almost newsworthy, as they are Painted Lady butterflies that will have migrated from Africa, and that is a story every year.

Shame, therefore, that there is no mention of migration in the caption - or even the species of butterfly.

How do these get through???

Now you've got me thinking - Giraffes in Guildford? Tigers in Taunton? Snakes in Skegness? Etc...

Edited by Colblimp

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Now you've got me thinking - Giraffes in Guildford? Tigers in Taunton? Snakes in Skegness? Etc...

Great Auk in West Cork

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Great Auk in West Cork

Marsupial in Maidstone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Marsupial in Maidstone

But these WOULD be news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

But these WOULD be news.

I'd say so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mileage in sileage...

 

(24 hours to think of that one...)

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Marsupial in Maidstone

Entirely possible.  There are reports of wallabies living in the wild in Ashdown forest in Sussex, not a million miles from Maidstone, and there are other colonies known in England.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 13/08/2019 at 18:04, Steve Tucker said:

Also it gets you past QC with a lower image quality and gets it up for sale quicker

 

Not worth doing, as it will penalise you s far as Live News is concerned, and you risk that your privileges are removed (ie you can no longer submit to LN)

Edited by BidC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whenever I look at the live news feed there are always examples of stock being passed off as live news, nothing changes. Just now 16  photos of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Michigan, USA via ZUMA Wire. I often wonder if abusers do ever lose their live news upload rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sb photos said:

Whenever I look at the live news feed there are always examples of stock being passed off as live news, nothing changes. Just now 16  photos of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore Michigan, USA via ZUMA Wire. I often wonder if abusers do ever lose their live news upload rights.

 

Would agree,

I look at Live News every time I log in and I often wonder "Who is editing these images?"

 

I have contributed to Alamy "Live News" since it started and I can count the number of

images from a Live News submission I've done that were more than ten images on

my fingers.

 

I would also suggest that Alamy let some of the contributing agencies know that they are

responsible for editing and selecting "Their News images."

 

Chuck

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

interesting from someone who has tried to do a few submission with prior approval, i felt so stressed of meeting the rules.  Quite a few are not in line with the caption rules, and the Chinese wedding states the Live News is 3 days old (looks like something that should be reportage to me)...

 

and Android logo on google background?

 

but i have to jump through hoops to get Anti corruption protest...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alamy gives agencies a free pass on pretty much everything: individual contributors are treated as second-class citizens in that respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes (when in a cynical mood) I think of Alamy Live News as Light News.

 

But Andy and Chuck and others work hard at it and do a good job. I don't do Live News myself. The only thing that bothers me here in the forum is people talking about shooting Stock when in fact they are shooting Live News. That has to be confusing to newbies.

 

Edo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.