Paul J

Feedback appreciated, don't hold back! Is Alamy worth the hassle?

Hi, 

I have tested the water with Alamy and not sure its worth the time and hassle to upload and keyword my archive. I have tested the water uploading some batches of 'News and feature'' picture sets which I have done. I sell direct to publications for 100% of the sales, so have thousands of images I could upload, but it's so time consuming for little rewards. I have uploaded whole jobs for ease, so there is variation, but repetition. Its represents only about 5% of what I do, so if I decide to upload the lot, its a huge amount of work. I don't bother with Alamy Live as I make more money with direct sales,  Alamy has cut price subscription deals which means peanuts in some cases. 

If you could have a look at my portfolio I'd be grateful, be brutal, not point being polite as I'm here to try and improve sales. The most recent photos haven't been captioned or keyworded properly so ignore the Goodwood Festival of Speed ones - https://www.alamy.com/portfolio/pauljacobs

My sales average an overall 40% commission (diluted with the third party sales), and I have been paid about £500 after the commission and exchange rate since joining. Gross sales figures are pointless, as it means nothing. As they say, turnover is Vanity, profit is Sanity. 

Thanks 

Pail,

you are asking two completely different questions.  Only you can decide if using Alamy is right for you.  Your sales figures are meaningless to anyone else but you.  I earn more than a colleague but he has almost no costs, I have a lot of costs.  Etc.  

You have a relatively small portfolio so you so you have a long way to go if you stay.

You  do have a variety of pictures, some of which I find interesting.  I do find a lot of variety in quality however,  some appear, on my ipad to be over exposed, but that may just be me.  Some pictures are “snapshot” quality and some are excellent. 

Where I think I have identified potential issues are captions and keywording.  Some of your captions are just wrong.  For example one or more are captioned something like statute of Monty and no statute...    To me your keywords are, in many cases, too generic and too few.  I would guess you may use other agencies and are using their standards.  You need to keyword much more accurately and tightly to bring your images, which are quite marketable, to the attention of buyers.  

Do you analyse you AIM data for searches?  That will give you some clues as to appropriate search terms. 

It it is something of a Catch 22.  You spend the time keywording you will get sales.  Do not spend the time and effort you will not.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you view keywording as a "hassle," Alamy won't be worth it for you. If your fascinated by what your pictures are of and represent, then you'll find the keywording interesting and Alamy a good place to be.  

Edited by Brian Yarvin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

I would be hesitant to recommend that anyone should take up stock photography as a means of providing a regular income. I quite enjoy the work involved, but, for me, this is one of a series of retirement activities that fill my time.  While the cash generated is certainly useful, if I needed to make real money I would be doing something else!

WRT your photos, there's some saleable stuff in there, but I'm seeing quite a lot of repetition, e.g. the tank standing outside the museum. I would recommend that you be a bit more disciplined over what you upload, choosing only your best 2 or 3 shots, preferably, including both landscape and portrait, of any given view of a subject. There are two reasons for this. One, your Alamy rank will suffer if you get loads of views but few hits resulting in fewer views in future, and two, Alamy appears to present views on an arbitrary basis, with the result that your weakest shot can be the only one that the customer sees.

Edited by Bryan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Bryan said:

your Alamy rank will suffer

When was the last re-rank? I haven't seen any movement for ages, even though my CTR has been all over the place.

Mark

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bryan said:

....choosing only your best 2 or 3 shots, preferably, including both landscape and portrait, of any given view of a subject. There are two reasons for this. One, your Alamy rank will suffer if you get loads of views but few hits resulting in fewer views in future, and two, Alamy appears to present views on an arbitrary basis, with the result that your weakest shot can be the only one that the customer sees.

Another reason is; It will give you fewer images to keyword.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

On 18/07/2019 at 22:58, IanDavidson said:

Pail,

you are asking two completely different questions.  Only you can decide if using Alamy is right for you.  Your sales figures are meaningless to anyone else but you.  I earn more than a colleague but he has almost no costs, I have a lot of costs.  Etc.  

You have a relatively small portfolio so you so you have a long way to go if you stay.

You  do have a variety of pictures, some of which I find interesting.  I do find a lot of variety in quality however,  some appear, on my ipad to be over exposed, but that may just be me.  Some pictures are “snapshot” quality and some are excellent. 

Where I think I have identified potential issues are captions and keywording.  Some of your captions are just wrong.  For example one or more are captioned something like statute of Monty and no statute...    To me your keywords are, in many cases, too generic and too few.  I would guess you may use other agencies and are using their standards.  You need to keyword much more accurately and tightly to bring your images, which are quite marketable, to the attention of buyers.  

Do you analyse you AIM data for searches?  That will give you some clues as to appropriate search terms. 

It it is something of a Catch 22.  You spend the time keywording you will get sales.  Do not spend the time and effort you will not.  

Thanks, I have been lazy with the captions with a generic one over an image set. Should have said I chose to upload sets that have mostly already been published in a national paper or news website to see if they were saleable again, obviously not (all direct sales, don't use any agencies). 

I'll have a think again.

On 19/07/2019 at 05:56, Bryan said:

I would be hesitant to recommend that anyone should take up stock photography as a means of providing a regular income. I quite enjoy the work involved, but, for me, this is one of a series of retirement activities that fill my time.  While the cash generated is certainly useful, if I needed to make real money I would be doing something else!

WRT your photos, there's some saleable stuff in there, but I'm seeing quite a lot of repetition, e.g. the tank standing outside the museum. I would recommend that you be a bit more disciplined over what you upload, choosing only your best 2 or 3 shots, preferably, including both landscape and portrait, of any given view of a subject. There are two reasons for this. One, your Alamy rank will suffer if you get loads of views but few hits resulting in fewer views in future, and two, Alamy appears to present views on an arbitrary basis, with the result that your weakest shot can be the only one that the customer sees.

Thanks, the problem I do have in uploading just a couple is that I'm often surprised on what photos of mine get published in the national papers, occasionally its a photo I have been close to deleting, but it has suited the publications page design. But do understand it may affect rank, but could lose a sale. Catch 22

On 18/07/2019 at 22:58, IanDavidson said:

I'd happily analyse my AIM data, but can't seem to find it.  When I click on "Download your data" in the r/h column in AIM, I get the following gobbledygook:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at ASP.myupload_metadatadownloadhandler_aspx.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Is it me being incompetent, or is it broken?

Will

Edited by will perrett

9 minutes ago, will perrett said:

I'd happily analyse my AIM data, but can't seem to find it.  When I click on "Download your data" in the r/h column in AIM, I get the following gobbledygook:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at ASP.myupload_metadatadownloadhandler_aspx.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e)

Is it me being incompetent, or is it broken?

Will

That's not it. That's a download of all your annotations. It doesn't work for me either.

Go to your dashboard and click on measures>your images.