Upload problem with both normal and ftp routes

Having trouble uploading today using the usual upload route, which i've always used for the last 12 years, so thought I would upload via FTP. Downloaded Filezilla, and followed the instructions on Alamy, but I keep getting a 'port' error. I've tried 21, but that doesn't seem to work.

Anybody got any ideas?

John.

Edited by Stokie

Just now, Stokie said:

Having trouble uploading today using the usual upload route, which i've always used for the last 12 years, so thought I would upload via FTP. Downloaded Filezilla, and followed the instructions on Alamy, but I keep getting a 'port' error. I've tried 21, but that doesn't seem to work.

Anybody got any ideas?

John.

Just uploaded by web and there were no problems here.

Allan

Just now, Allan Bell said:

Just uploaded by web and there were no problems here.

Allan

Alan, I'll have to shut everything down and try again.

Like the IT section at the County Council where I used to work - "have you tried switching it off and on again?"!!

John.

When I logged in to my dashboard this morning, there were 7 partial submissions!! None showed up in AIM last evening!

I downloaded the wrong version of Filezilla yesterday too! Tried again this morning and uploaded the rest of my files and it worked fine. I've been uploading for 12 years using the web based uploader and never had to give up before, hence why never used FTP. At least i've got an alternative now if one fails.

Just hope they pass QC after all that!

John.

• Like 1

Had an upload problem this week, 7/19 for the first time since the online upload system started?

No bid deal.

I am also having login problems from the main page?

looks like there are some difficulties with the coding?

Chuck 

On 18/07/2019 at 14:49, Stokie said:

When I logged in to my dashboard this morning, there were 7 partial submissions!! None showed up in AIM last evening!

I downloaded the wrong version of Filezilla yesterday too! Tried again this morning and uploaded the rest of my files and it worked fine. I've been uploading for 12 years using the web based uploader and never had to give up before, hence why never used FTP. At least i've got an alternative now if one fails.

Just hope they pass QC after all that!

John.

Did you try a different browser for the web upload?

It seems to work for others sometimes.

Allan

On 23/07/2019 at 10:25, Allan Bell said:

Did you try a different browser for the web upload?

It seems to work for others sometimes.

Allan

Allan, no I didn't try a different browser, never thought of that. After trying the web uploader and FTP, both of which didn't work - I just gave up!!

Tried FTP the day after (the correct version!) and they all went through OK.

Any way, they have all passed QC and are awaiting all those eager buyers......

John.

Up till about a month ago I was having regular frequent problems uploading images the normal route using both chrome and safari. Often used to get stuck or go extremely slowly - even overnight uploading on 6-7 of a batch of 30 or 40 images.

I downloaded Filezilla and now always use it to upload images to Alamy which it does quickly and trouble-free

kumar

9 hours ago, Doc said:

Up till about a month ago I was having regular frequent problems uploading images the normal route using both chrome and safari. Often used to get stuck or go extremely slowly - even overnight uploading on 6-7 of a batch of 30 or 40 images.

I downloaded Filezilla and now always use it to upload images to Alamy which it does quickly and trouble-free

kumar

I didn't have any problems when I uploaded via Filezilla, they all went through OK.

Used the web uploader yesterday and 25 out of 27 went through. Added another 10 to the 2 missing and they went through OK and passed QC this afternoon.

John.

it's about 10 days since the OP. I've not been able to upload anything this weekend. On AIM I get the red unload error message. Like Stokie, I haven't used Filezilla in awhile. It looked as if it was working but it didn't. 

I'm asking if anyone else is having these problems today? My guess is AIM will work tomorrow. 

Edo

Normally I wait a bit before posting about Alamy or Adobe functional tech problems. They tend to sort themselves out especially if they are happening on a weekend.

So . . . the 8 images I was trying to upload have now uploaded three times. Don't know if they were done with Filezilla or the AIM. Maybe both?

On 28/07/2019 at 11:24, Ed Rooney said:

Normally I wait a bit before posting about Alamy or Adobe functional tech problems. They tend to sort themselves out especially if they are happening on a weekend.

So . . . the 8 images I was trying to upload have now uploaded three times. Don't know if they were done with Filezilla or the AIM. Maybe both?

Ed,

It says in AIM in the left hand column under 'My Submissions/All Submissions' whether the upload was 'web' or 'ftp'.

Had some problems last night with the web uploader which uploaded 21 out of 39, then 13 out of the remaining 18, then the final 5 went through OK.

Uploaded a batch of 17 this morning via ftp and they all loaded OK.

John.

I've been trying for the last seven hours - without success. However I have a number of "Processing Failed" images building up in Image Manager - each of which has been allocated an Alamy reference number. No wonder they're running out of numbers.

This is becoming a real pain in the proverbial. Come on Alamy - Fix It!

I normally submit via the LR Bridge (which uses FTP) - numerous failed attempts today.

In desperation I then change my workflow entirely:

1. create .jpgs, which I never do
  2. try to submit using an external FTP (Filezilla)
  3. and should that work, manually update the Alamy data in LR and synch

But that failed too, so I've yet another "Processing Failed" block of submissions.

One would think that Alamy would both have the courtesy to respond to this thread and tell us what the problem is and also fix it!

I've done some diagnostic work on this. It seems that it's a timing issue. If the sender/receiver modules don't get a response to a message in time (timeout) then it seems that the receiver goes into a sulk and never wakes up again.

I have a fairly busy LAN at the moment, but I've found that by stopping all other activity on the LAN I can upload using FTP (LR Bridge). I'm sure this would work for Filezilla too, and I suspect that the Alamy direct upload process would also be fine.

Anyone still struggling might give it a try.

I just wrote to Alamy.

Here it is Weds now, and AIM either won't budge on uploads or after a very long time an image goes through and I get a red upload error message. Filezilla worked on Monday but won't work for me now. 

Nobody will rent me a flat and every single thing I touch falls apart. What did I ever do to you, God? 

8 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I just wrote to Alamy.

Here it is Weds now, and AIM either won't budge on uploads or after a very long time an image goes through and I get a red upload error message. Filezilla worked on Monday but won't work for me now. 

Nobody will rent me a flat and every single thing I touch falls apart. What did I ever do to you, God? 

As a lot of contributors are using FTP these days I find Alamy web upload works quicker for me than it used to.

Allan

2 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

As a lot of contributors are using FTP these days I find Alamy web upload works quicker for me than it used to.

Allan

Web upload working smooth for me, too.

I wonder if trying at a different time of the day would make a difference? For instance, in the past, I noticed the Internet worked faster/smoother before the kiddos got out of school, and everyone got off work and jumped online.

Uploading at 9 a.m. here translates to what, two or three p.m. across the pond?  I often found uploading at 9-10 p.m. my time seemed to go smoother, too.

Betty

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

What did I ever do to you, God? 

God still loves you Ed, as do many contributors to this forum!

I'm convinced that this problem is all about network speed - and if your upload speed is too slow the upload will hang irrespective of whether you're using FTP of the Alamy process.

I assume that you are using your hotel wi-fi network, or perhaps the local coffe shop/pub, or even tethering to your mobile phone.

Try running a speedcheck app. If your UPLOAD speed (download is irrelevant) is less than say 1mbps try searching for a faster service - even moving to the hotel lobby may help.

If that doesn't work chat to your local phone shop. They may be able to advise you how to use your mobile phone (assuming that you have 4g) to tether your laptop, or offer a "dongle" which provides 4g/wifi connectivity either on a contract or pay as you go. Play the dumb tourist (I know you're not!) and I'm sure they will help.

Russell

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Web upload working smooth for me, too.

I wonder if trying at a different time of the day would make a difference? For instance, in the past, I noticed the Internet worked faster/smoother before the kiddos got out of school, and everyone got off work and jumped online.

Uploading at 9 a.m. here translates to what, two or three p.m. across the pond?  I often found uploading at 9-10 p.m. my time seemed to go smoother, too.

Betty

Yes there are certain times of the day when it seems faster than others.

Allan