Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Anyone know where I can find the list of cameras Alamy wont accept images from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, FOTOLINCS said:

Anyone know where I can find the list of cameras Alamy wont accept images from?

 

It does not exist anymore. At least if you can find it it is not updated by alamy anymore.

 

So long as you are using anything with a 4/3rds sensor and up and it is not a bridge camera with superzoom you should be ok.

 

Allan

 

Edited by Allan Bell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, thanks Allen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FOTOLINCS said:

Anyone know where I can find the list of cameras Alamy wont accept images from?

 

It's more or less been replaced by this page:

 

https://www.alamy.com/blog/alamys-rough-guide-to-digital-cameras

 

As Allan says, 4/3 sensor and upwards according to Alamy guidelines though many swear by careful use of the Sony RX100 series (1" sensor), though mostly, but not exclusively they also use larger sensor cameras. Plenty on here about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Golly, that link tells us nothing.  Does anyone know if images taken with the Sony RX100 are still being accepted?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, they are. Uploaded some and accepted several days ago. 

Sung

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Omitted to mention I use Sony RX100 models too with the so called 1" sensor and have no problems with images being accepted from them.

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all. I'll get an RX100 then, problem solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FOTOLINCS said:

Thanks all. I'll get an RX100 then, problem solved.

 

I started with the RX100 original model then moved to the mark 3 for the pop-up viewfinder and better rendering of images but that has a shorter focal length so kept the mark 1 as well.

 

Others will suggest later models like mark 5, 5A, and the mark 6 with superzoom,

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, FOTOLINCS said:

Does anyone know if images taken with the Sony RX100 are still being accepted?

 

Absolutely they are. IMHO the images I get from my Sony RX100 Mk III with 1" sensor have better IQ than my Lumix G& which has a Micro 4/3 sensor. Another factor that Alamy don't mention is the design of the sensor and micro-lens assembly. In general back side illuminated sensors (BSI) are better than front side as the sensor interconnections don't obscure the sensor elements. The micro-lens assembly is also important in focusing light onto each sensing element. As Alamy say, their guide is only a "rough guide". Another critical factor is how many pixels the sensor has. Too many pixels crammed into a small sensor will give more noise problems than a lower pixel count sensor of the same size.

 

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

 

Absolutely they are. IMHO the images I get from my Sony RX100 Mk III with 1" sensor have better IQ than my Lumix G& which has a Micro 4/3 sensor. Another factor that Alamy don't mention is the design of the sensor and micro-lens assembly. In general back side illuminated sensors (BSI) are better than front side as the sensor interconnections don't obscure the sensor elements. The micro-lens assembly is also important in focusing light onto each sensing element. As Alamy say, their guide is only a "rough guide". Another critical factor is how many pixels the sensor has. Too many pixels crammed into a small sensor will give more noise problems than a lower pixel count sensor of the same size.

 

Mark

 

What do you think of Sony's new A7R mark 4 with 61MP FF sensor?

 

Personally I think it is a step too far.

 

Allan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

What do you think of Sony's new A7R mark 4 with 61MP FF sensor?

 

Not really relevant but I just did the maths and was surprised to see that if you were able to scale up the RX100 sensor to full frame you'd be getting over 140 Mp. 

 

I see the new Sony sensor gives 9504 x 6336 pixels, way more than I've ever wanted but I guess there will be those who will find a use for it. Sony themselves promote the ability to crop dramatically and still leave a decent file size, for bird photographers etc. There are also more AF points, better dynamic range, better viewfinder etc.

 

I suppose another question is how else are manufacturers going to keep persuading people to buy new cameras every year or so if it's not by increasing the pixel count.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, FOTOLINCS said:

Anyone know where I can find the list of cameras Alamy wont accept images from?

Abandoning the compact camera route, I am photographing small copper coins ca 15cm dia and non of the cameras allow me to fill the frame with such a small object so... back to the SLR with extension tubes I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.