On ‎21‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 03:42, Futterwithtrees said:

Chuck, perhaps you would care to define "Micro Images". When I examine your small portfolio I see a range of images largely with a very specific emphasis on "celebrity or political" figures.This is clearly successful for you and you are in a position to pursue this type of image. If Alamy were depending on portfolios of this type alone it would be a much smaller and less profitable outfit.  I also see in your port a large McDonalds draped with a sign saying "Hiring Now" and other pics of a similar editorial nature..

However when I look at some portfolios from other apparantley successful  Alamy contibutors I see a much wider range of subjects. My point being that Alamy's success appears to be built on the inclusion of a very wide range of image types

What exactly are you saying re "micro pictures"

Well Michael,

When you have spent four decades working as a photographer on assignment for the major magazines and corporations around the world, I might be interested in your opinion, but I did not ask for it.

I do believe that ALAMY's strongest suit is that ALAMY allows all people to contribute.  I never suggested what anyone should photograph or contribute.  I simply

stated that if you do not want to see Micro licenses "Don't shoot micro pictures." 

PS: Just looked at the first page of you photos and after five minutes do not remember any. 

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
Grammer
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 7

On ‎20‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:37, CarloBo said:

Prices have nothing to do with image quality. Whoever has done stock for more than few minutes  knows that.

Carlo,

YES THEY DO, but it is not "quality" it is about the image and who else has it.  Since 1980 I've made or handled

images that were licensed for over $180,000.00 per image (USD). 

Anyone whoever (sic) has done NEWS knows that.....

Chuck Nacke

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

2 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Well Michael,

When you have spent four decades working as a photographer on assignment for the major magazines and corporations around the world, I might be interested in your opinion, but I did not ask for it.

I do believe that ALAMY's strongest suit is that ALAMY allows all people to contribute.  I never suggested what anyone should photograph or contribute.  I simply

stated that if you do not want to see Micro licenses "Don't shoot micro pictures." 

PS: Just looked at the first page of you photos and after five minutes do not remember any. 

Chuck

Chuck, Mine was a genuine set of Questions with an accurate observation or two made on a thread that I started. . I didn't offer an opinion. You have chosen to treat me with contempt. Thanks.  A further observation is that during the few years I have been on this forum I have come across more than one or two offensive pompous asses but have come to understand that they usually cant help it as it due to some psychological or emotional trauma suffered earlier in life.

PS Thanks for the insight into my portfolio even though I don't remember asking you for it 

Edited by Futterwithtrees
Further comment
  • Love 1
  • Like 6
  • Dislike 2

2 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Chuck

Chuck have you been checked out medically. You may be in the early stages of dementia

• Like 2
  • Dislike 6

7 hours ago, Futterwithtrees said:

Chuck, Mine was a genuine set of Questions with an accurate observation or two made on a thread that I started. . I didn't offer an opinion. You have chosen to treat me with contempt. Thanks.  A further observation is that during the few years I have been on this forum I have come across more than one or two offensive pompous asses but have come to understand that they usually cant help it as it due to some psychological or emotional trauma suffered earlier in life.

PS Thanks for the insight into my portfolio even though I don't remember asking you for it 

Michael,

Contempt? NO I did not intend that.  In my opinion, or as you have written "early stages of dementia"

I have been very polite towards you.

I did not know that this thread was about you?

I do hope that I have made it into your category of "pompous asses"

All I can say is that "Youth is wasted on the young."

Chuck

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

11 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

I simply stated that if you do not want to see Micro licenses "Don't shoot micro pictures." 

Chuck

I think Chuck may have a point.

In order to provide a learning experience to members of the forum it would help if the complainer posted the image to the forum, as part of their post.

This way we could all come to some conclusions if a low price for the image in question is a good deal or a bad deal.

• Like 3

The novel use sales I had to that website were wildlife images. One had previously sold for $30 and the other for $50. Not enormous sums, but not $1.23 to a travel website and to an app in perpetuity. 

Paulette

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Michael,

Contempt? NO I did not intend that.  In my opinion, or as you have written "early stages of dementia"

Chuck

Chuck I really don't know who that last remark was directed to seeing that I am in my 73rd year. and able to recognise contempt when I see it.  

Edited by Futterwithtrees
Further comment
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

I think Chuck may have a point.

In order to provide a learning experience to members of the forum it would help if the complainer posted the image to the forum, as part of their post.

This way we could all come to some conclusions if a low price for the image in question is a good deal or a bad deal.

How about posting  that masterpiece that licensed for 180k?

Just to provide a better teaching experience...

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Michael,

Chuck

Take it from a young'en (well sort of) that has no stake in this

While I am sure you do not mean or intend contempt the problem with forums is they involve typing and reading - and all the tone and non-verbal parts of communication are absent.  This means that it is incredibly, unbelievably easy for intent to be misread - and some of your posts do, all be it inadvertently, read as incredibly contemptuous.  Sometimes it is worth taking a pause and then re-reading what you have typed imagining it has been typed to you, not by you.

I am not for a second going to deny your skill talent and legacy with a camera because very few can match them - but just sometimes you do manage to come across as arrogant and I am sure that is never your intent.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Chuck Nacke said:

Carlo,

YES THEY DO, but it is not "quality" it is about the image and who else has it.  Since 1980 I've made or handled

images that were licensed for over $180,000.00 per image (USD). 

Anyone whoever (sic) has done NEWS knows that.....

Chuck Nacke

That means nothing in this forum.

This is about Alamy stock selling right now, in 2019, where rarity means nothing, the buyer discount means all (sometimes even with Live News).

When did you last make an image which has made you over $180k? I mean when was the image made, not when did it aggregate $180k.

Or are you really saying, but afraid to say it right out, "If you don't want small prices, don't sell on Alamy"?

BTW, I have a bus pass and know as well as you do that "Wisdom comes with Age, but sometimes Age comes alone".

Edited by Cryptoprocta
spelling
  • Like 5
  • Dislike 1

IME, rarity coupled with demand can mean something when it comes to an image possibly becoming a "best seller" -- i.e. licensing numerous times at various prices. However, the subjective "quality" or content of an image has little to do with price these days, at least not on Alamy. An image of a daisy can conceivably license for a higher fee than one of Boris Johnson doing the highland fling (no disrespect meant to Mr. Johnson).

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

IME, rarity coupled with demand can mean something when it comes to an image possibly becoming a "best seller" -- i.e. licensing numerous times at various prices. However, the subjective "quality" or content of an image has little to do with price these days, at least not on Alamy. An image of a daisy can conceivably license for a higher fee than one of Boris Johnson doing the highland fling (no disrespect meant to Mr. Johnson).

Given how much he hates disses Scotland, that would be an image almost as unlikely as Nessie herself.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Given how much he hates disses Scotland, that would be an image almost as unlikely as Nessie herself.

He apparently referred to the UK in his maiden speech as the awesome foursome - massive cringe.

• Like 1

And my pittance of the day:

Usage: Editorial ; 

Media: Editorial website ; 

Start: 28-June-2019 ; End: 28-June-2024 ;

Additional Details: One use in a single editorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article. Country: United Kingdom

Price: Under $5 gross.

Not NU, not an exciting image, and the light is what it was, but the buyer still chose it over any opposition. Actually, that pic sold previously and was then copied quite a bit, so I guess I should be glad someone paid for it.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

8 hours ago, Futterwithtrees said:

Chuck I really don't know who that last remark was directed to seeing that I am in my 73rd year. and able to recognise contempt when I see it.  

Corrected: "Youth WAS wasted on the young.".......

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

6 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Well, the T. Show is getting kind of boring, so it will be nice (sort of) to have a change. 😄

Nice maybe if you are not living in the midst of it and if you enjoy lowest common denominator rhetoric that a 5 year old could understand and see through as well no doubt. A bit like parts of this thread - mine is bigger than yours nananananaaa. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious - these people have the destiny of our planet at their fingertips. 😧

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, MDM said:

Nice maybe if you are not living in the midst of it and if you enjoy lowest common denominator rhetoric that a 5 year old could understand and see through as well no doubt. A bit like parts of this thread - mine is bigger than yours nananananaaa. It would be funny if it wasn't so serious - these people have the destiny of our planet at their fingertips. 😧

+1 For once I am in complete agreement with you.

Chuck

33 minutes ago, Chuck Nacke said:

+1 For once I am in complete agreement with you.

Chuck

Should I interpret that as meaning you sometimes partially agree with me or that you generally never agree with me or something else entirely. 😀

On 24/07/2019 at 05:20, Chuck Nacke said:

Chuck

On 24/07/2019 at 07:27, Futterwithtrees said:

Chuck have you been checked out medically. You may be in the early stages of dementia

43 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Please, a quack diagnosis on a public forum isn't on.

Are people taking this comment a little too seriously given that it was not a completely inappropriate response to Chuck's scathing comment about the OP's pictures?

Edited by MDM
  • Like 2

• Alamy locked this topic