camera and lens insurance

My approach has usually been "would a loss of equipment put me out of business?"

If the answer is "no", as it always has been, I self- insure. When a camera goes phut- one of mine might have been covered by insurance, one certainly not- I buy a new one for about £200. When I used the Hasselblad I had a Rolleicord as a spare and had to use it once because of a repair.

Admittedly if I'd paid the OP's £1800 I would think again but even then, if that went west, I could always go with the £200 replacement. Then again, again, if I had £1800 for kit I might have another couple of £hundred for insurance.

I never leave equipment in a vehicle, locked out of sight or not- at least I could do that if I were insured but it's not very heavy.

I'm not recommending it just mentioning it. It doesn't work for indemnity insurance, because not many can afford £10M, but I don't have that, I have to settle for being careful.

I sound like the farmer in the field asked for directions who said "I wouldn't start from here". Hey ho.

During much of my assignment career, I had insurance, a camera floater. I was robbed two or three times. Collecting on insurance was not fun. In my later shooting life, the "insurance" I had was three sets of cameras. One I had with me, one was in the hotel, and one was back home. Now, living out of a suitcase, I have one or two cameras with me and the two others in the hotel. 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney