Betty, I use SuperDuper to make a bootable copy of my drive and to copy my images to a back-up drive. It is very easy to use and the support is excellent. I just send an email and get a response within hours. It does things I don't understand but I don't need to know how to do them. I can just choose the drive I'm copying from and the one I'm copying to. I've been so comfortable with it I've never learned Time Machine.

Paulette

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have a drive connected, but I don’t want to put everything on my computer on it. Just my images. What’s a pain is I’m unplugging it once I copy new folders to it, then having to plug everything in to the other HD and copy them all to it again. It would be nice to copy to both drives at the same time. 

If you're using Windows 10, I'd see what the paid version of Macrim Reflect could do.  I can have two external drives connected to my iMac and use Carbon Copy Cloner to make regular backups automatically, probably to one drive first, then the other, but I haven't tested to see if CCC can handle two automated jobs at the same time. 

I have an iMac. My son-in-law has always hooked things up for me and he has only one drive hooked up. I don’t have another set of wires.

I need to investigate that. Yeah, right. 😳☠️

think I’ve saved every wire since God made dirt...if I can figure out where they are since I moved.

You are very helpful. I think I’m hopeless! 😂

11 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I have an iMac. My son-in-law has always hooked things up for me and he has only one drive hooked up. I don’t have another set of wires.

think I’ve saved every wire since God made dirt...if I can figure out where they are since I moved.

You are NOT hopeless. Just not very tech savvy.

I can do most tech with some research but still need to ask the question sometimes. We can't know everything although some strive to.

Allan

Network Attached Storage (NAS) by Synology with mirrored drives plugged into our wireless router.  Backs up both my ethernet attached iMac and wife's wifi attached iMac using Time Machine.

Edited by Phil
typo
  • Like 1

On 07/07/2019 at 21:28, Betty LaRue said:

I've just run all my back up drives from a powered USB hub (most instructions want you to plug directly into the computer's USB ports).  So you can have one of those set out from the computer as far as the USB connector and power cord allows.  Mine is a Tripp-Lite SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub with eight ports, one of which is a dedicated charging port, model U360-007.  There are probably other models.  Set up Carbon Copy Cloner to do two repeat jobs: one a bootable back up of the whole system minus photos, and the other one a regular backup of just the photos.  Create a third non-repeating job to back up the photo back up to a third drive when you attach it. 

Carbon Copy Cloner is a paid application, but very useful for Mac users. 

If you forget to do regular backups, automating them is wonderful. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/07/2019 at 20:29, MizBrown said:

I've just run all my back up drives from a powered USB hub (most instructions want you to plug directly into the computer's USB ports).  So you can have one of those set out from the computer as far as the USB connector and power cord allows.  Mine is a Tripp-Lite SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Hub with eight ports, one of which is a dedicated charging port, model U360-007.  There are probably other models.  Set up Carbon Copy Cloner to do two repeat jobs: one a bootable back up of the whole system minus photos, and the other one a regular backup of just the photos.  Create a third non-repeating job to back up the photo back up to a third drive when you attach it. 

Carbon Copy Cloner is a paid application, but very useful for Mac users. 

If you forget to do regular backups, automating them is wonderful. 

This is very helpful.  The third back up... is that what you keep off site?

6 hours ago, The Blinking Eye said:

This is very helpful.  The third back up... is that what you keep off site?

I don't have a safety deposit box here.   I do take external drives with me if I leave the house for overnight, one is always the system backup.  If you work outside the house during the day, easy enough to take drives to work and switch them out.

My 10 pence for what it is worth ...

Whatever system, drives or technology you use, make sure it passes the 3 - 2 - 1 test

3  - Copies of all data

2  - Copies stored on different drives

1  - Copy stored off-site

It has worked for me for the past decade, or more, in which time it has never failed me as I have changed external and internal drives 

The current system, a dedicated data drive in the PC - this backs up to an external drive every 60 minutes - every four hours it backs up to a second external drive - plus a continual back up to a cloud storage site

So 3 copies of data, 2 copies stored on different drives and the cloud storage off-site 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have my photos on 2 hard drives in the main PC. I also have them on an unraid file server with redundancy. This is all on site though. I have started to upload to the cloud but a couple terabytes will take forever to upload. I'm going to look for different services to see if anything is better for me than Amazon Drive which does not have auto syncing.