Photographing Art/Sculpture/Murals

20 hours ago, meanderingemu said:

did they remove any?

I think that there was something of a purge at the time, back in March of this year. They certainly removed one of mine to my surprise, this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AADTYga2JMGvoiBuh9IS1XkyqQBDQm9StVo

Actually the above link seems to be invite only, this one hopefully isn't.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4sptfhpt9kcw36/_MG_0433.jpg?dl=0

I was surprised because the mural is quite a small part of the picture, certainly less than the third that they advise.  Perhaps it was because it was taken in France, the mural depicts two actors, Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Gabin from the 1962 film "Un Singe en Hiver" which was filmed there. It's a very small village just West of Honfleur and it trades quite a lot on this film, that's why the mural is there.

The email from Alamy had the subject title "Image removal - Mural images" and the text read:

This an email to inform you that we have removed some images in your collection.

This is in response to the continuing increase in the number of complaints we have been receiving from mural artists.

Our lawyer has advised us to remove all images of murals that have little to no context, as this could be seen as a copyright or trademark infringement of the original artist’s work. We have an ongoing process in place where we actively sweep for street art and murals to identify images that could be problematic. As this subject continues to be a hot issue, we’ve removed the following images from your collection to prevent any potential issues;

Edited by Harry Harrison
New link
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

did they remove any? i know they changed a couple of mine to editorial,  but I've yet to have content issues other than one i wasn't aware was NT. 

A while back... years?.... they did remove a lot of our murals. I thought of going back to the artwork in question and providing more context but haven't done it yet.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

On 12/09/2019 at 02:48, Harry Harrison said:

I think that there was something of a purge at the time, back in March of this year. They certainly removed one of mine to my surprise, this one:

https://www.dropbox.com/l/scl/AADTYga2JMGvoiBuh9IS1XkyqQBDQm9StVo

Actually the above link seems to be invite only, this one hopefully isn't.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e4sptfhpt9kcw36/_MG_0433.jpg?dl=0

I was surprised because the mural is quite a small part of the picture, certainly less than the third that they advise.  Perhaps it was because it was taken in France, the mural depicts two actors, Jean-Paul Belmondo and Jean Gabin from the 1962 film "Un Singe en Hiver" which was filmed there. It's a very small village just West of Honfleur and it trades quite a lot on this film, that's why the mural is there.

The email from Alamy had the subject title "Image removal - Mural images" and the text read:

This an email to inform you that we have removed some images in your collection.

This is in response to the continuing increase in the number of complaints we have been receiving from mural artists.

Our lawyer has advised us to remove all images of murals that have little to no context, as this could be seen as a copyright or trademark infringement of the original artist’s work. We have an ongoing process in place where we actively sweep for street art and murals to identify images that could be problematic. As this subject continues to be a hot issue, we’ve removed the following images from your collection to prevent any potential issues;

Thanks for the info.

57 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Add people to the frame!!!

Yes, and it also makes a more interesting photo. I remember shooting a Brighton biennial photographic exhibition of near A1 size LF prints. I waited for an interesting character to come along, and he leaned forward eyeballing a print close, click, and in the bag. With others I would wait for someone in a group to point towards a print. Never had to set them up, it was all natural. Prints, paintings, sculptures, same process. This was before I was submitting to Alamy.