Click Through Rate Confusion

Steve Valentia

Question

Today, I noticed that I had zooms on 2 images under the same search. I only had those images show up for the search, and no other images were zoomed. 4 images in total appeared in the search. My CTR was 50%. I'm puzzled by that, as only my images were zoomed, 2 zooms out of 2 hits. Should that not be a 100% CTR?

10 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

2 from a total of 4 is 50% no?

Yes, it is. I was thinking (obviously wrongly), that the CTR is based on how many of my own images were viewed (.i.e. 2 in this case). So, I thought 2 zooms from 2 views is 100% (if not, even, 200%). :)

Edited by Steve Valentia

2 hours ago, Steve Valentia said:

Yes, it is. I was thinking (obviously wrongly), that the CTR is based on how many of my own images were viewed (.i.e. 2 in this case). So, I thought 2 zooms from 2 views is 100% (if not, even, 200%). :)

As I understand it your CTR is based on how many zooms you get divided by the number of views (of your images) you got. Here's an example of one the searches I had recently.

Search term - *************

Your views - 128

Sessions - 1

Your zooms - 15

Your sales - 0

Your CTR% - 11.72

Total views - 1,905

Total zooms - 62

Total CTR% -3.25%

15/128 = 11.72%

62/1,905 = 3.25%

So, if you got 2 zooms when only 2 of your images were viewed that should be a CTR of 100%, unless (perhaps) instead of both images being zoomed once, one of your images was zoomed twice)? I suggest clicking on the search term to see what happened.

Mark

19 hours ago, Steve Valentia said:

Today, I noticed that I had zooms on 2 images under the same search. I only had those images show up for the search, and no other images were zoomed. 4 images in total appeared in the search. My CTR was 50%. I'm puzzled by that, as only my images were zoomed, 2 zooms out of 2 hits. Should that not be a 100% CTR?

It sounds like maybe you were looking at the Total CTR column - that's the click through rate for all contributors for that search, which would be 50% or 2/4. You want to look at the column Your CTR. It's an easy mistake to make. 

24 minutes ago, NYCat said:

Click on your pseudonym.

Paulette

Great thanks, I'll do that when I get on my computer, since the dashboard doesn't display properly on my phone. I only skimmed the Alamy instructions for the Image Manager very briefly and watched the instructional video when I joined, so I probably need to give their instructions a good thorough read to find out how to do everything like this.

I also tried to make PDFs of those zoom pages with the little zoomed image on them, but evidently nothing got created and the files won't open. I'm assuming it's an issue with my computer that I'm going to work on.

I'm not sure what you can see but when you are on your computer go to your dashboard and Alamy Measures. In Your Images you will find a lot of useful information. It will automatically show one month but as you go along you will probably want to set it for Yesterday and then click on your pseudonym. There are columns and if, for instance, you want your zooms to show at the top click on the black bar where it says Zooms and you can put them first. You'll see all the search terms that have brought up your images. I often adjust my keywords when I see that something inappropriate has come up.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat
  • Like 1

You can also download small versions of the photos by finding them on Alamy with the file# and then use those images when you do a google images or tin eye search. I cycle through mine periodically. Sometimes things from years ago suddenly show up. I just found a "presentation use" on a German website - so I think a bigger pricetag is in order. We'll see what happens. 

• Like 1

Thanks very much, NYCat and Marianne. Very helpful. Heads-up -- some of the search terms I found were for Luna Park, so I'm going to try to post more shots I have. Maybe you two could keep that in mind for a shoot in case the searcher's still seeking . . .