Thought on camera resolution?

1 hour ago, Alex Ramsay said:

Agreed - I've scarcely picked up my D3 since buying a used D800E, and will probably buy another shortly.

Alex

I have a D810 available to a good home, low shutter count (backup camera), one very careful owner (me). The D810 is very similar to the D800E but has a few significant enhancements and improvements over the D800E (which I also used and loved).

23 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Most cameras have far more resolution than you need.

One advantage of higher resolution is the ability to crop.

I like to be able to crop a horizontal image to vertical format (and v/v) so extra pixels can come in handy sometimes.

I always try to shoot a 50 megapixel vertical after the horizontal but sometimes subject does not stand still so I crop a 22.4 megapixel vertical from the 50 megapixel horizontal.

driving-tour-through-peak-autumn-colour-

driving-tour-through-peak-autumn-colour-

Centre autofocus in viewfinder on birds eye with 200mm at F5.6 iso 400. Then resulting 50 megapixel image cropped to 28 megapixels in order to offset bird from centre and bring closer. Blacks on head +100 setting in order to raise detail without noise because of modern sensor. Also made a vertical crop.

black-capped-chickadee-poecile-atricapil

Well, I'm going to have to downsize some of my images. It's weird, it looks like the night photos I took at ISO2500 actually passed as at least some of them went through first but then one I took at ISO200 failed for noise. I'll have to look closer to figure that one out. Most looked clean to me at the full 7900+ on the long side, and the few that I took very late at night with a midnight blue sky, I knocked down to about 24MP and .they looked clean, I also cropped some down for verticals, and it was one of the daylight photos that failed for noise. Meanwhile they all passed in a few hours elsewhere, where each image is checked carefully, so I'm a bit dumbfounded. First fail in years, and hoping it doesn't knock my QC down from the three stars I have. 

I guess I was over confident uploading a large batch, and will have to split them up to see how each group does. Will also downsize them all to be safe. It's a shame that they fail everything as I may be downsizing nice 42MP files that would pass inspection out of an abundance of caution. After they passed elsewhere, I figured I was safe. Glad I have all those extra megapixels to play with. 

2 hours ago, MDM said:

I have a D810 available to a good home, low shutter count (backup camera), one very careful owner (me). The D810 is very similar to the D800E but has a few significant enhancements and improvements over the D800E (which I also used and loved).

MDM, can you give me your name & shoot me an email - I have a friend in the UK who was interested in buying my D700, but the hassle of figuring out overseas shipping and VAT or customs, etc. made it problematic to ship from New York. Not sure if your used D810 would be within her budget but if you shoot me an email mariannecampolongo at mac.com with your contact info and your asking price, I can get in touch with her and put her in touch with you if it's a go. Unless it's already found a home. Thanks.

Hi Marianne. Just emailed you. It might be a bit expensive if your friend is thinking D700 but it is cheaper than store price. Grays of Westminster might have good D700s available. I would highly recommend them. 

So, it turns out that I think good ole Alamy made a mistake - seriously. The photo they rejected is of the Churchill Downs racetrack and the dirt is a yellowy color with specks of black throughout. I think they thought the black was noise. Have any of you ever questioned them before? Not really sure if I just leave it out and resubmit the rest or ask the QC folks to take a second look. Even if I shrink it down from 120+MB to 17MB those flecks of black still show. Passed elsewhere with no problems. 

Thanks Michael. Forwarded her the info but I know it's the middle of the night there now.

Edited by Marianne

16 hours ago, MDM said:

Bearing it in mind!

19 hours ago, MDM said:

Can you let me know a bit more? I could be interested (alex@ramsay.net)

Cheers,

Alex