I will need that luck, Allan. Thanks.

Yes, Andy, Sligo is small and not a pretty city. I've been there. But Cork is too expensive, as is Dublin. And as with Spain, I can only know a limited amount about a place from the outside looking in. I can't be headed in several directions at once. 

• Like 1

I've not been to Sligo, but it sounds as if you might have to make some adjustments, photographically speaking, since it's not a big city. The surrounding countryside does look rugged and beautiful, though. The town has an interesting tourism website. No shortage of things to do and see there. Hope it all works out for the best. No doubt you'll be keeping us posted...

The Rooney clan is from Sligo County. So was WB Yeats. I have no idea if this move will work out . . . I can only hope it will. The area around? I won't have a car but a tour on a good weather day seems possible. 

Edited by Ed Rooney

5 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Would you not try Cork city?  Oodles of stock possibilities, second largest city in Ireland and good public transport.

And the best vegetarian restaurant in the known universe!

One of the best meals I’ve ever had......very photogenic too!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

The Rooney clan is from Sligo County. So was WB Yeats. I have no idea if this move will work out . . . I can only hope it will. The area around? I won't have a car but a tour on a good weather day seems possible. 

Hopefully some of the clan members are still there to give you a hand settling in.

On 30/05/2019 at 11:50, John Mitchell said:

The situation is similar on this side of the pond. Americans apparently learn little or no Canadian history and geography in school, despite the fact that the two countries are basically joined at the hip. Watch Jeopardy on TV sometime, and you'll see otherwise knowledgeable contestants immediately draw a blank on questions dealing with Canada. Things are a bit better on the Canadian side. Students here do learn some US history, plus Canadians are generally very curious about their powerful and complex neighbour to the south. I guess you could say that it's a matter of survival for us -- when the US sneezes, Canada gets a cold, as the saying goes. My parents were married on Montserrat (I was born on Antigua). Montserrat looks like a beautiful island.

I won't comment on how little I know about Canadian history, but I do recall being confused when we drove up to Quebec when I was a kid, not by Canada, but by the fact that there were so many farms, and mountains, and so much empty space in New York as we headed north for hours. Growing up in NYC, I was completely ignorant about what upstate NY looked like. So, there's a lot we don't learn in school...

Anyway, the reason I'm replying is just to say I was happy to learn your were born on Antigua, reputed to have 365 beaches, one for each day of the year, and a magic green spark up in the sky that you can see from the mountains when the sun goes down. My husband and I honeymooned on Antigua, beautiful island.  We weren't there long enough to count all the beaches, but the sunset from the mountains was quite romantic. Do you ever get back there? It is a really lovely island. (I liked Quebec a lot too).  PEI and British Columbia are both on my bucket list. When we were up in Montana, we hadn't realized we could have crossed over from Glacier National Park into Waterton Lakes National Park (in Alberta), and would have if we'd brought our passports. I miss the days when we didn't need them. 

46 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I won't comment on how little I know about Canadian history, but I do recall being confused when we drove up to Quebec when I was a kid, not by Canada, but by the fact that there were so many farms, and mountains, and so much empty space in New York as we headed north for hours. Growing up in NYC, I was completely ignorant about what upstate NY looked like. So, there's a lot we don't learn in school...

Anyway, the reason I'm replying is just to say I was happy to learn your were born on Antigua, reputed to have 365 beaches, one for each day of the year, and a magic green spark up in the sky that you can see from the mountains when the sun goes down. My husband and I honeymooned on Antigua, beautiful island.  We weren't there long enough to count all the beaches, but the sunset from the mountains was quite romantic. Do you ever get back there? It is a really lovely island. (I liked Quebec a lot too).  PEI and British Columbia are both on my bucket list. When we were up in Montana, we hadn't realized we could have crossed over from Glacier National Park into Waterton Lakes National Park (in Alberta), and would have if we'd brought our passports. I miss the days when we didn't need them. 

Happy to hear that you enjoyed Antigua. Unfortunately, I haven't been back to the West Indies. My family moved to Barbados when I was about two years old, so most of my early memories are of there. Later we immigrated to the UK and eventually to Canada. I too remember when passports weren't necessary to cross the Canada/US border. Sadly those innocent days are gone forever it seems.

• Love 1

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Hopefully some of the clan members are still there to give you a hand settling in.

In the '60s I met a distant cousin in Sligo. She was a Catholic nun in full habit and she looked just like me. Twas most disconcerting. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

In the '60s I met a distant cousin in Sligo. She was a Catholic nun in full habit and she looked just like me. Twas most disconcerting. 

Beard and all 😂

• Like 1

Edo, are you in Ireland, yet? Or still waiting to fly out? I hope your travels go well, and that you find a flat that suits you. And...hopefully it has what you need...a way to cook, a refrigerator, and a washer/dryer. The basics to make life bearable. 

I watch HGTV quite a bit, and there is a show where Americans are hunting places to live in foreign countries. I was surprised that some didn’t have a cook stove, but the realtor suggested a hot plate if one weren’t already there.

Knowing you, I would imagine you could cook up a mean pasta dish on a hot plate.

Betty

Just catching up on various threads.  I wish both Ed and Alan well in the quest for finding a new home and all things health wise.   It must be very unsettling for both of you.  Alan if you move to Lincolnshire hopefully you will be close to Donna Nook to photograph the seals in winter😉  

Carol

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Imagine how _she_  must have felt, the poor dear 😮

☮️

DD

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Edo, are you in Ireland, yet? Or still waiting to fly out? I hope your travels go well, and that you find a flat that suits you. And...hopefully it has what you need...a way to cook, a refrigerator, and a washer/dryer. The basics to make life bearable. 

I watch HGTV quite a bit, and there is a show where Americans are hunting places to live in foreign countries. I was surprised that some didn’t have a cook stove, but the realtor suggested a hot plate if one weren’t already there.

Knowing you, I would imagine you could cook up a mean pasta dish on a hot plate.

Betty

Regulations on renting property in Ireland are quite stringent and all furnished apartments should have decent kitchen facilities. 

1 minute ago, MDM said:

Regulations on renting property in Ireland are quite stringent and all furnished apartments should have decent kitchen facilities. 

Good to know, Michael. Edo is quite the cook.

Edo, since I was in your old neighborhood today, I took a look at the doors to your place. I’m not sure if this is new since your daughter in-law stopped by, but there appears to be some remodeling of the restaurant in the works. There is also a permit dated late May posted on the entry door to the apartments that allows for work on the interior gas lines and meters.

4 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I didn't have a beard in the '60s. Did have a Yankee cap though. 

You know you get a greenie for that 😎

Hope the move goes well. 

Edited by Marianne

26 minutes ago, Cecile Marion said:

Edo, since I was in your old neighborhood today, I took a look at the doors to your place. I’m not sure if this is new since your daughter in-law stopped by, but there appears to be some remodeling of the restaurant in the works. There is also a permit dated late May posted on the entry door to the apartments that allows for work on the interior gas lines and meters.

Poco a poco, as they say here in Seville.

9 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Glad you've decided to pack your Irish sense of humour.

Details of the trip will remain vague until I get to Dublin. And the reasons why may never be explained. No, I don't work for the CIA, although they tried to recruit me for a job once in the distant past.  I think I may have written about it in my old blog, Mulberry Street. ???

I miss cooking, Betty. Not done much this past year. They have a proper working kitchen here and I do breakfast. Looking forward to some Irish oatmeal. And in this past year, 15 months now, I've watched just one film and one TV show. 

29 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Details of the trip will remain vague until I get to Dublin. And the reasons why may never be explained. No, I don't work for the CIA, although they tried to recruit me for a job once in the distant past.  I think I may have written about it in my old blog, Mulberry Street. ???

I miss cooking, Betty. Not done much this past year. They have a proper working kitchen here and I do breakfast. Looking forward to some Irish oatmeal. And in this past year, 15 months now, I've watched just one film and one TV show. 

You realise one of your first tasks in Ireland is to meet up with me for a coffee?!  Distance no object to meet the great Edo!

45 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I actually bought a box of malt-o-meal the other day. I ate it for breakfast as a child. Used to fix it for my kids on cold winter mornings before school to give them a break from oatmeal. Now let’s see if I ever cook it! 😁

• Ed Rooney changed the title to Galway, Ireland?