Galway is probably the best town (small city) in Ireland for but very expensive to live in nowadays and it rains an awful lot which I guess is why the pubs sell so much Guinness. All life is there. It is a really arty place with loads of Irish music and lots of different cultures but likely to be extremely competitive for all forms of photography. I lived there back in the 80s before it really took off and would move back again today if I could afford it and the weather wasn't so awful.

Ireland is very expensive in general now. If I was to move back to Ireland I would probably aim for somewhere like County Tipperary where living costs would be a lot less and the weather is a lot less influenced by the Atlantic.  

Edited by MDM

Galway is a great place, but expensive to live, as indicated by MDM.  With that said, I find the whole of Ireland an expensive place to live, but I'd never leave.  If you move to Galway, prepare to have a visitor!  Alternatively, get yourself to West Cork!

• Like 1

Thanks, fellow Irish people. (Ignore my Brooklyn accent.) 

Is this wrong, do you think?  https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Galway

I'm paying 700 a month here in Seville. I found some flats advertised for less than that in Galway. My ancestors are from Sligo.

It rains some in Ireland, does it? Hmmm. I was wondering how they get that intensive green in the fields. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1

I don't really know if that is accurate Edo but I would imagine it probably is. I keep getting annoying message from that website so have shut it down. Cheap apartments might be questionable as it is a very popular living and tourist destinaton.  Galway is a university town so there is a lot of student accommodation - shared housing and the like. County Galway is very big so check that what you are looking at is in the city stretching from the flat milands around the River Shannon out to the Burren and to Connemara. Most areas are served by buses but I think most people outside the city would consider a car essential. The urban or semi-urban area of Galway City stretches out a long way especially on the west side towards Connemara as a long narrow strip on the coast and very little inland where there are large areas of bog that have not been built on.

I wouldn't want to put you off as, like I said, I would move there tomorrow if I could as the best place to live in Ireland. It's got just about everything as far as urban life goes I think. As Colblimp says everywhere in Ireland is relatively expensive but some are definitely more expensive than others. Dublin property prices these days are sky high (similar to London) and Galway is probably up there as well. 

And the green fields of Ireland owe more to nitrate than to nature for their colours. The Emerald Isle for sure. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

Oh my. I won't have a car and I don't want to be in the suburbs busing into the city. This is starting to look like one step forward, two steps back. The apartment hunting and research I mean. 

We Irish are talkers, and I really need to have a conversation once in a while. 

24 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Move to Lancashire or Yorkshire, friendliest people on the planet!!

• Like 2

I to would not change living in Ireland, friendly people if you make the effort but living in rural Ireland really demands a car and another thing you might need to look into Ed is the Broadband coverage. I just looked at Galway and large parts of it still do not have coverage and not expected to within a year, that's the same for most of rural Ireland. Just something to bear in mind.

Cheers

Andy. (English interloper)

3 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Oh my. I won't have a car and I don't want to be in the suburbs busing into the city. This is starting to look like one step forward, two steps back. The apartment hunting and research I mean. 

I didn't mean to put you off Edo. I was just cautioning that you need to make sure you are looking at apartments in the city and not somewhere rural in County Galway. I would think that decent city centre apartments are likely to be at premium prices though. Galway is a very popular place. I expect Sligo would be a lot cheaper but it is a town rather than a city. 

One thing for sure - you will not be short of conversation in Galway. 

1 hour ago, aphperspective said:

I to would not change living in Ireland, friendly people if you make the effort but living in rural Ireland really demands a car and another thing you might need to look into Ed is the Broadband coverage. I just looked at Galway and large parts of it still do not have coverage and not expected to within a year, that's the same for most of rural Ireland. Just something to bear in mind.

Cheers

Andy. (English interloper)

Are you referring to County Galway as a whole there? I'd be surprised if Galway City does not have very good broadband coverage especially given the high student population and there are also a lot of tech companies based in Galway. 

Edited by MDM

I was referring to County Galway as a whole, my error. The city does look to have good coverage.

Same down here in West Cork, where I am is ok 7Km from Skibbereen but just a few Km further out its very patchy.

10 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I lived in Oxfordshire for 7 years, Ian. 

Yes I remember. We’ve been in Oxford just over 40 years but I’m still a northern girl at heart!

14 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

A car is pretty much a necessity if you want to live anywhere in the slightest bit rural in Ireland.  The national bus and coach service is OK, but not outstanding. 

On the plus side once your over 66 the bus service is free provided your pension is paid into here.😐

13 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

Indeed! As a southerner transplanted into Yorkshire I couldn't believe how much friendlier people are. Here in the Calder Valley it's full of arty types and you would never be short of a conversation Edo. You also get the advantage of being in a town, with cities only a few miles away, yet with expansive landscapes on your doorstep.

Oh, and property is good value too.

Alan

Edited by Inchiquin
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

As far as big English cities go I'd rate Liverpool as the most friendly place if you can understand scouse 😀.

But I would have to wonder who would want to move to England at the moment with the current climate and I am not talking weather. Hostile environment towards foreigners or what - yes I know it is a minority of the population but there are an awful lot of xenophobes around and not a few in Yorkshire.  

I'm not looking for the friendliest place in the UK. I won't be moving back to England. My remark about "a good conversation" was an offhand comment. What's important is: I'm an Irish EU citizen, I need healthcare, I will not have a car, I need to be able to walk not take a bus to basic places. It's beginning to look as if I can't afford any of that. What's important is finding a survival plan.

As far as I know you may be entitled to free healthcare in Ireland depending on your income. Check  HSE Ireland . Don't give up on Galway City but rents are likely to be high. Maybe consider other places such as Sligo, Westport, Ennis - all nice lively towns in the west of Ireland and likely to be a lot cheaper than Galway.

• Like 1

Thanks, Michael

Is that link, that site, talking to expats settling in Ireland . . . or is it also aimed at Irish citizens? 

I'm dragging feet on all these matters this week, ironically because I'm suffering from an extreme hay fever attack and can't sleep or focus. 

It applies to anyone who is resident or who intends to be resident for 1 year at least so you would probably demonstrate that by showing a rental lease. I don’t know what the income requirements are for free healthcare but I think they are quite generous for over-70s. There is an Irish  citizens advice service who might be able to help you as well with the official stuff - probably a lot less bureaucracy than Spain and no language barriers. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

I'm dragging feet on all these matters this week, ironically because I'm suffering from an extreme hay fever attack and can't sleep or focus. 

Coincidentally, I'm having the same problem. Reactine ( Cetirizine Hydrochloride) works quite well for me.

Sorry to change the subject...

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Curiouser and curiouser this is getting. 

John, over here now it's grass pollen. Probably there too. I need some sleep and to focus.

I get hay fever and this year is especially bad for me, anyway. However, don't let that put you off coming to Ireland - it's an amazing place.

• Ed Rooney changed the title to Galway, Ireland?