riccarbi

Alamy, could you speed up your QC process a bit during weekends, please? (Title edited to avoid further criticism)

Posted (edited)

riccarbi,

First when I am covering an event that I want to get online quickly, I choose my main images quickly (usually less than 10).

I have the main part of my captions or IPTC information written before I leave for the event.  Since I work on PC's I do all this in Word.  I also have

a second folder for RAW images, usually over 400 that will be selected and edited latter to upload as "Stock" or "Archival", that I do not need to

move out as "News."  Keep in mind that I shoot most everything as 7360 by RAW.  I also do not try to get the first uploads out within the

hour of the event,  Currently three hours is the best I have done. 

I go back to the days of shooting chrome film at events on the U.S.West Coast and for a decade in Eastern Europe and driving the film to the airport

to find a passenger to carry the film to Paris or New York.  The worst was in the 90's when you had to shoot neg film and process it onsite or in a

hotel room and then scan and transmit quickly often via a satellite uplink.

Since Alamy's tightening of the Live News Upload, I drop Alamy Live News a quick note about the event to let them know what is happening and what I

think I can do and every time I've done that they have gotten back to me quickly about their interest in the event.

As I have written on the Forum before, I am more interested in licenses for the decades to come then I am about some less than well processed and captioned

license (s) for publication the next day.  Every month I see Alamy making licenses of News images that I shoot up to 30 years ago and they are usually

for higher fees than a newspaper usage for the next day.

I do not do Live News Often, In my opinion there is no reason to,  I only shoot, process and upload images that I think have long-term value.  In the "Good Old

Days" of "Real Photo Agencies" you could call your agency and they would negotiate "First Look", "Second Look" etc. with major publications worldwide.

On one event in 1989 my agent negotiated "Fourth Look."  On that event I was making $4,000 per day for a week and many of the images from that week

have been licensed over and over and now Alamy is licensing scans that I did over 15 years latter.  

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Nacke
grammer
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Sally said:

I think, technically, this is called code replacement. There are some good you tube videos about how to do it. You need to create a text based document using plain format, eg Text Wrangler is a good bet, with a simple list of abbreviations followed by TAB, then what you want to automatically be typed in when you use that abbreviation. So for example, it might look like this:

PM       Teresa May, Prime Minister

JC         Jeremy Corbyn, Labour Party Leader

etc

you can make them as long as you want and have different text docs for different types of events. 

Then go to Photo Mechanic and add this document using Edit>Settings>Set Code Replacements.

In your pre-prepared caption you can then simply type in \PM\ and it will replace that with what you have defined it by.

Variables are the various parts of a caption that you can define eg event name, location, date, etc

Thanks Sally

Taking the op's caption, let see what we can do:

Augustas Serapinas, Chair for the Invigilator - light blue, 2019, sculptural installation, Arsenale exhibition, 58th Venice Art Biennale 2019

Exhibition --->  \e1\ Arsenale exhibition   \e2\   etc

Venue --->  \v1\ = 58th Venice Art Biennale 2019

Artist --->   \a1\ = Augustas Serapinas  \a2\ = Cathy Wilkes   \a3\   etc

Work --->   \w1\ = Chair for the Invigilator - light blue, 2019   \w2\  feather up a duck's backside II   \w3\    etc

Type --->   \t1\ = sculptural installation   \t2\ = painting   \t3\ = watercolour   etc

So using the correct news format:

{city}, {country}. \{day}\ {iptcmonthname3}, {iptcyear4}. \v1\. \e1\. \a1\, \w1\, \t1\.

Gives me:

Venice, Italy. 20th May, 2019. 58th Venice Art Biennale 2019. Arsenale exhibition. Augustas Serapinas, Chair for the Invigilator - light blue, 2019, sculptural installation.

All you would need to do is change the numbers for the different artists and works and save as you go along.

yes Sally should have put AND code replacement

35 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Augustas Serapinas, Chair for the Invigilator - light blue, 2019, sculptural installation, Arsenale exhibition, 58th Venice Art Biennale 2019

Work --->   \w1\ = Chair for the Invigilator - light blue, 2019   \w2\  feather up a duck's backside II   \w3\    etc

Type --->   \t1\ = sculptural installation   \t2\ = painting   \t3\ = watercolour   etc

{city}, {country}. \{day}\ {iptcmonthname3}, {iptcyear4}. \v1\. \e1\. \a1\, \w1\, \t1\.

Gives me:

Venice, Italy. 20th May, 2019. 58th Venice Art Biennale 2019. Arsenale exhibition. Augustas Serapinas, Chair for the Invigilator - light blue, 2019, sculptural installation.

All you would need to do is change the numbers for the different artists and works and save as you go along.

Excellent. Saves a whole lot of time on the day, and much easier to do all this when you aren't stressed about getting the images up quickly. Reduces errors, too.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Gives me:

I now want to see the piece called "feather up a duck's backside ll"

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sally said:

Excellent. Saves a whole lot of time on the day, and much easier to do all this when you aren't stressed about getting the images up quickly. Reduces errors, too.

And you can reuse the same text file year after year just by adding more artists and works to the list 😎

Just now, Starsphinx said:

I now want to see the piece called "feather up a duck's backside ll"

I'm trying, it's not co-operating 😁 the first one was a disaster, don't ask. 🙃

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Even better, change this: 58th Venice Art Biennale 2019 to 58th Venice Art Biennale {iptcyear4} 🤣

Edited by LawrensonPhoto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Typing this in the caption: \a1\, \p1\ gives     Artist Joan Miro, Blue I, II, III

so typing this {city}, {location}, {country}. \{day}\ {iptcmonthname3}, {iptcyear4}. gives me this: Hastings, East Sussex, UK. 6th May, 2019. I never ever have to type in the current date for a caption anymore

make up your own ones for whatever match, art exhibition, photo shoot, etc you are attending before you get there

So with the op, I'm sure he would have had an idea of the artists exhibiting and artworks, all of that could have been pre written along with dates, location, etc

I agree this could be extremely useful in certain cases, like a football match (you previously know the players of each team, presumably), and even in a museum (of which you already know what's in the collection). By and large, it is always useful when you have previous information about what you are going to picture, or when you frequently take photos at the same subject in different contexts (i.e. football stars, showbiz celebrities, politicians, and so on).
Unfortunately, this method would be largely useless in my case. As in many special exhibitions of contemporary art, you already know some details (the venue, the city, the name of the artists featured, for example) but most of the artworks on view are totally new, artworks which have never been displayed before; furthermore, the exhibitors always keep their artwork list as secret as they can (I read all their official press release in advance and they never mention a single artwork's title). That's why I always prepare a lot of keywords in advance that many pictures will arguably share and which I can cut and paste in seconds (such as: Venice, Art, Biennale, 2019, Venice Biennale, Biennial, exhibition, Arsenale, Arsenal, exhibition, British Pavilion, and other 40 or 50 of them....). Yet, I still have to check and write a lot of details I can't prepare beforehand  such as work's title, year, owner, technique, main color, media, type of artwork (sculpture, sculptural installation, painting, drawing, video-art, photograph. mixed-media, audio-visual, ...), ownership, and so on; moreover I have to check if there are special copyright conditions and /or attributions I have to comply with or which prevent me to sell my picture (and that's a pain in the neck, every time). To do that in a couple of minutes, would mean to make a mess, believe me.
Contemporary art is a very specific niche, I know; with its own odd rules....
Nevertheless, thank you for your suggestion; for other subjects, I'll certainly give Photomechanic a look.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

Well at least the duck got something out of this...

Can you articulate your thought a bit further, If you don't mind, please?