Jump to content

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Things really changed after the paved highway opened about 20 years ago. It used to be a long, uncomfortable trip to Tikal on terrible roads. Now day-trippers can easily come up from Guatemala City. Things have really changed. The site was much more crowded in 2010 than it was on the first time I visited in 2000. Get there before they build the road, as the old saying goes.

Indeed - I was at Tikal last month - nowadays really quite crowded at times, but if you time it right - early morning or late afternoon you can still find peace and quiet! 

 

I also went to Copan in the Honduras - also a very good mayan site, excellent museum, and virtually nobody there - but there is a road being built, so again , go sooner rather than later if you can. 

 

I went to some of the Yucatan sites - disappointing how commercialised some of them are - particularly Palenque and Chichen Itza, tho' the buildings are terrific - shame the Mexican authorities allow all the local traders into the site to sell their wares - at least they dont allow that at Tikal. Having said that, Uxmal and Bonampak, a couple of the smaller lesser well known sites in Yucatan

are great!

 

Kumar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Doc said:

Indeed - I was at Tikal last month - nowadays really quite crowded at times, but if you time it right - early morning or late afternoon you can still find peace and quiet! 

 

I also went to Copan in the Honduras - also a very good mayan site, excellent museum, and virtually nobody there - but there is a road being built, so again , go sooner rather than later if you can. 

 

I went to some of the Yucatan sites - disappointing how commercialised some of them are - particularly Palenque and Chichen Itza, tho' the buildings are terrific - shame the Mexican authorities allow all the local traders into the site to sell their wares - at least they dont allow that at Tikal. Having said that, Uxmal and Bonampak, a couple of the smaller lesser well known sites in Yucatan

are great!

 

Kumar

 

It's a crime what the gods of tourism have done to some of the wonderful Maya sites. This is what Uxmal looked like in 1986 before all the questionable restoration work and landscaping was done. I also got some nice shots from the top of the Pyramid of the Magician (on the right), which is totally off-limits now. Visiting these places was a real adventure back then. Even Chichen Itza was much more accessible -- and no stupid turnstiles!

 

the-mayan-ruins-of-uxmal-in-1987-before-

 

P.S. This was shot in February at the height of the tourist season, and as you can see the site is not exactly crowded.

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

 

My new bucket list (such as it is) will include only places that no one wants to go to.

Yes, but where are these places? I climbed Kilimanjaro, went to EBC, Macchu Picchu..... everywhere the same.  You feel sick in Yosemite or Arches or Zion down in US. Here in Canada too, and I won't even start what places like India or China look like.

 

This race is going completely the wrong direction IMHO. Instead of efforts in AI, "smart" devices, self driving cars, virtual reality and other nonsense, focus needs to shift to curb exponential population growth. Every single problem this planet has from serious things like environment, social issues etc. to our stock photography downward spiral can be linked to this.

 

Sorry, off topic. I will stop now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

Yes, but where are these places? I climbed Kilimanjaro, went to EBC, Macchu Picchu..... everywhere the same.  You feel sick in Yosemite or Arches or Zion down in US. Here in Canada too, and I won't even start what places like India or China look like.

 

This race is going completely the wrong direction IMHO. Instead of efforts in AI, "smart" devices, self driving cars, virtual reality and other nonsense, focus needs to shift to curb exponential population growth. Every single problem this planet has from serious things like environment, social issues etc. to our stock photography downward spiral can be linked to this.

 

Sorry, off topic. I will stop now.

 

I agree. Overpopulation lies at the root of many -- if not most --  of our problems. However, we have an economic system that increasingly  depends on creating more and more "consumers" to buy all the junk that we keep churning out at the expense of our own survival and the planet's. I'll stop now too before I get chased out the door. 🙁

 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

P.S. This was shot in February at the height of the tourist season, and as you can see the site is not exactly crowded.

John - Heres a similar view taken in April this year - again the height of the season, still not too bad in terms of crowds; you can still climb all over most of the monuments but as you say, the Pyramid of the Magician is out of bounds. Fortunately no sellers allowed in here.

 

Kumar

 

uxmal-mexico-view-of-the-mayan-ruins-looking-past-the-house-of-the-turtles-towards-the-nunnery-quadrangle-and-pyramid-of-the-magician-latin-america-T96C80.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2019 at 17:44, NYCat said:

 

Thank you, Betty. Are you seeing bold type in the link? I had copied from the preview page and it was enormous until I made it into a link. Now it looks normal to me.

 

Paulette

No, I didn’t pay any attention to the link that I remember. It was just that when I logged into the forum that morning on my iPad, everything was showing in bold type. Even my own remark.

I thought it was perhaps one of Alamy’s “improvements” they do occasionally without announcing it. I actually looked for other forum members discussing it, but I guess I was the only one blessed with bold type. 😁

Then the next time I logged in, it was back to normal. Gremlins!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Doc said:

John - Heres a similar view taken in April this year - again the height of the season, still not too bad in terms of crowds; you can still climb all over most of the monuments but as you say, the Pyramid of the Magician is out of bounds. Fortunately no sellers allowed in here.

 

Kumar

 

uxmal-mexico-view-of-the-mayan-ruins-looking-past-the-house-of-the-turtles-towards-the-nunnery-quadrangle-and-pyramid-of-the-magician-latin-america-T96C80.jpg

 

That is a really nice shot, Kumar. The red umbrella makes it. None of my Uxmal images has ever licensed on Alamy. I'd be surprised if yours above doesn't, though.

 

I realize that I'm being a bit harsh, but I visited a lot of these ruins before mass tourism really kicked in. To me, the biggest travesty is what happened to Tulum (don't know if you've been there). Tulum used to be such a magical site. Now it is totally overrun and has a Disney-like atmosphere. Very sad.

 

At one time you could even scamper up the Temple of the Inscriptions at Palenque. Here's a shot I took over 25 years ago. You can see a group of people at the top of the pyramid.

 

people-sitting-at-the-top-of-the-temple-

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

That is a really nice shot, Kumar. The red umbrella makes it. None of my Uxmal images has ever licensed on Alamy. I'd be surprised if yours above doesn't, though.

 

I realize that I'm being a bit harsh, but I visited a lot of these ruins before mass tourism really kicked in. To me, the biggest travesty is what happened to Tulum (don't know if you've been there). Tulum used to be such a magical site. Now it is totally overrun and has a Disney-like atmosphere. Very sad.

 

At one time you could even scamper up the Temple of the Inscriptions at Palenque. Here's a shot I took over 25 years ago. You can see a group of people at the top of the pyramid.

 

people-sitting-at-the-top-of-the-temple-

 

I know what you mean - I didn't visit Tulum, but Palenque and Chichen Itza were quite overrun  :(, - the main thing which makes it worse I think is allowing traders into the site itself. At Tikal, Quirigua and Bonampak the traders were kept out of the sites which made a big difference.

I would have loved to climb some of these temples 

 

Kumar

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sold to US newspaper for quite a nice fee. Makes up for the last buyer going bust and not paying up!

Troll doll, collection of dolls Stock Photo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Doc said:

 

I know what you mean - I didn't visit Tulum, but Palenque and Chichen Itza were quite overrun  :(, - the main thing which makes it worse I think is allowing traders into the site itself. At Tikal, Quirigua and Bonampak the traders were kept out of the sites which made a big difference.

I would have loved to climb some of these temples 

 

Kumar

 

 

 

I think a lot of those touts sneak into archaeological sites in Mexico. It's probably really difficult to keep them out. The worst I've seen is at Teotihuacan near Mexico City. I had to fight the traders off when I was there. If you're looking for undisturbed ruins, I'd really recommend a trip to Calakmul in the state of Campeche. It's a bit difficult to get there but well worth the effort. Arrive at dawn and you'll see toucans, monkeys, etc. It's still a really magical place. Hopefully Calakmul's relative isolation will keep it that way. There are many other worthwhile ruins to visit in Campeche. The old city of Campeche is very photogenic as well.

 

A temple at Calakmul

 

structure-viii-at-the-mayan-ruins-of-cal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Thyrsis said:

Sold to US newspaper for quite a nice fee. Makes up for the last buyer going bust and not paying up!

Troll doll, collection of dolls Stock Photo

 

Family photo? 😀

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Michael Ventura said:

 

Family photo? 😀

 

😂

I’ve collected these dolls for more years than I care to remember! The one with the pink hair has his (her) own portfolio of images that sell nicely. Little did I know when I started buying them that ‘troll’ would mean what it does today!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Thyrsis said:

 

😂

I’ve collected these dolls for more years than I care to remember! The one with the pink hair has his (her) own portfolio of images that sell nicely. Little did I know when I started buying them that ‘troll’ would mean what it does today!

 

My brother had a bunch when we were kids...they sort of creeped me out.  Brilliant that you are making some money from them!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Removed, wrong thread

Edited by Michael Ventura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/06/2019 at 10:12, Doc said:

Indeed - I was at Tikal last month - nowadays really quite crowded at times, but if you time it right - early morning or late afternoon you can still find peace and quiet! 

 

I also went to Copan in the Honduras - also a very good mayan site, excellent museum, and virtually nobody there - but there is a road being built, so again , go sooner rather than later if you can. 

 

I went to some of the Yucatan sites - disappointing how commercialised some of them are - particularly Palenque and Chichen Itza, tho' the buildings are terrific - shame the Mexican authorities allow all the local traders into the site to sell their wares - at least they dont allow that at Tikal. Having said that, Uxmal and Bonampak, a couple of the smaller lesser well known sites in Yucatan

are great!

 

 

Copan Ruines and the rest of Honduras are on the same security rating now that Nicaragua is on, which tends to collapse tourism rather dramatically.  Copan had something like 4 parties visiting in the last year at the time some Europeans were there before coming to Jinotega..   Security level 3, "reconsider travel plans.  Most North Americans do, and the hotel where I have breakfast here hasn't had a US citizen group in over a year.   Nicaraguans are now moving around in their own country since maybe last fall, and they're most of the tourism here now, with some Eastern Europeans trying to low-ball every hotel in town and some Western Europeans and New Zealanders still showing up.   Honduras has a sky high crime rate and a certain amount of civil unrest.  

 

My understanding is that the military and cops do guard Copan Ruines and the Copan site fairly well, but getting to Copan from pretty much anywhere south requires an overnight in Tegucigalpa.   I've been wanting to go since I move to Nicaragua, but the safety considerations are pretty formidable, and even more so now.   Friends and I considered driving to avoid an overnight in one of the cities, but people with kin in Honduras warned us that cops tipped off the thieves if foreign cars were in the country.

 

It's a shame, but even before the last year, one El Salvadorean tour company refused to take people anywhere other than to Roatan.   I ended up going to Mexico City instead with a Nicaraguan friend.  

 

Also some Mayan ruins in Belize and El Salvador.  US safety ratings tend to be more aggressive than those of the EU and Canada.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I'm a bit late for May, but I'm just back from a trip.

Had quite a few sales at the end of the month, so here's two Costa Rica ones.

 

Bar El Avion inside a Fairchild C-123 Aircraft, Quepos.

 

Prices so tiny that it won't buy me a glass of water at this bar.

 

 

CBWX63.jpg

 

CE94FX.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Newspaper Editorial print and digital use

 

with-cabin-lights-dimmed-economy-class-p

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regal Princess Cruise Ship - note sure if link will work as first time I've attempted this mid $$ 

 

http:// Image ID: R50FEY

 

3rd cruise ship image I've sold this year so quite happy

 

Carol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not quite sure I've got the hang of inserting images on here I can't see it my end😢

 

Carol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Not quite sure I've got the hang of inserting images on here I can't see it my end😢

 

Carol

regal-princess-cruise-ship-docked-at-crown-bay-west-indian-company-pier-st-thomas-virgin-islands-R50FEY.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Oh wow I did something right ?  thank you😄

 

Oh blimey just seen it's under images sold in May this was June😯

 

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change of wording

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope I haven't derailed this thread. This is the MAY thread. 

Are the latest posts intended here?

 

Sorry about being a late poster to May. As I said, I've just come back from a trip and am posting late. Apologies.

 

Gen

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.