Student projects use

I can't remember the details but it was certainly more cumbersome dealing with orders from state schools in Scotland - schools did not have the same autonomy as English and Welsh ones which had Local Management and control of budgets. 

14 hours ago, geogphotos said:

I can't remember the details but it was certainly more cumbersome dealing with orders from state schools in Scotland - schools did not have the same autonomy as English and Welsh ones which had Local Management and control of budgets.

We absolutely had local management and control of budgets within every school, and department within a school (at least until 2010 when I quit).

Central ordering, however, saved us a lot of time and money, as firstly Strathclyde, then abc had a lot more bulk buying discount leverage than any individual school could have.

In the old days each dept had to wade through (paper) catalogues and source the cheapest jotters, pencils, drawing pins, poster paper, everything individually. Took many hours and many forms to fill in. In my latter school, one of the deputes kindly made the job easier by doing the donkey work each year and telling us, Pencils are cheapest from X, rubbers are cheapest from Y etc. But when the bulk buying system came in, all the individual catalogues still came in to school but we ordered our 'general' stuff like stationery, furniture etc from the big abc catalogue. In theory, if we could find a cheaper source of e.g. pencils from elsewhere, we could order them. If we wanted to buy a more expensive grade of e.g. pencils from elsewhere, we had to be able to justify it, but if we could, that was fine. Also we were always autonomous in buying specific things which weren't in the big 'catalogue' (which obviously moved online). What we lost though was the ability to buy e.g. an artefact we had seen on holiday and being able to claim that back as that just couldn't be moulded into the system (then). (Which thereby gained a mild advantage that we could move it on with us if we moved, as it was ours). Also the 'subscription thing' which you seem to have solved, unless your schools were outwith abc.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

So what we need is for edited collections of stock photographs prepared and ready for education use to be listed in these central ordering catalogues. That takes care of some of the marketing and the delivery process. 

I am not expecting it any time soon. Downloading from Google is just too easy. 

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

So what we need is for edited collections of stock photographs prepared and ready for education use to be listed in these central ordering catalogues. That takes care of some of the marketing and the delivery process.

I thought about contacting Glow and seeing what they offered to take pics (if anything!) but I couldn't ever find any contact, and even the school head didn't know.

But probably there was no renumeration on offer, but in that case it was surprising they weren't encouraging crowdsourcing by staff.