Posted (edited)

I had this one show up today for a whopping $0.99. Anyone else? Also, it was an exclusive image and I got 40% rather than 50% commission for some reason (not that it makes much difference). I'm not in NU.

Usage: Student Projects, For non-commercial use in projects such as dissertations, presentations or essays.
Industry sector: Education
Image Size: Any size
Start: 27 April 2019
Duration: In perpetuity

P.S. Why wouldn't a sale like this be personal / presentation use?

Edited by John Mitchell

Had one a few weeks ago....

Marginally better than them nicking it. 🤨

Phil

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Phil Crean said:

Had one a few weeks ago....

Marginally better than them nicking it. 🤨

Phil

Perhaps that is the topic of the student project -- "Nicking Images in the Digital Age". 😎

I believe that I've seen licenses similar to this in the past, but never one quite this low or "in perpetuity".

Edited by John Mitchell

Ahh, well, we should be pleased we’re getting below microstock prices, I guess.

NOT!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Betty LaRue said:

Ahh, well, we should be pleased we’re getting below microstock prices, I guess.

NOT!

I have a background in teaching, so I understand that students need cheap photos (although some students drive Lamborghinis and pink Bentley's here in Vancouver). However, I think that they should have access to smaller files for a fixed time and price, not full-size forever at $0.99, though.

Still can't figure out why I only got 40%. 😒

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

I had an image sold last year at the same price and license. My view at the time was that a student could have easily afforded more, and the license terms shouldn't have been so loose. As it was, the image was from an event I was just leaving, and was an afterthought just to show a banner of a group not previously present. I wasn't as p****d off as I would have been if it had been one of the images I had driven 35 miles to shoot, but still too low a price.

Posted (edited)
On 28/04/2019 at 01:52, sb photos said:

I had an image sold last year at the same price and license. My view at the time was that a student could have easily afforded more, and the license terms shouldn't have been so loose. As it was, the image was from an event I was just leaving, and was an afterthought just to show a banner of a group not previously present. I wasn't as p****d off as I would have been if it had been one of the images I had driven 35 miles to shoot, but still too low a price.

I always thought that Novel Use covered this type of usage, but I opted out of NU a few years ago. I wish Alamy could clarify what their policy is regarding students looking for inexpensive images. I still don't understand why student project use doesn't fall under personal / presentation use. Think I'll send Alamy an e-mail.

Edited by John Mitchell
  • Like 1

I had one just like that a few weeks ago, and it was a full res download. As much as I am glad knowing a student PAID for a picture instead of lifting it off the internet, but $0.99 for a full res file still fixed for abuse by someone in somewhere. Can Alamy please at least restrict the hi-res download for such low-fee licenses?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Gabbro said:

I had one just like that a few weeks ago, and it was a full res download. As much as I am glad knowing a student PAID for a picture instead of lifting it off the internet, but $0.99 for a full res file still fixed for abuse by someone in somewhere. Can Alamy please at least restrict the hi-res download for such low-fee licenses?

Quite right. They should - but they won't. I remember it being said elsewhere here before about PU and/or presentation licences for which the same should apply. 

10 hours ago, losdemas said:

Quite right. They should - but they won't. I remember it being said elsewhere here before about PU and/or presentation licences for which the same should apply. 

Weren't these student projects sales part of Novel Use at one time? Or does memory fail me...

1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Weren't these student projects sales part of Novel Use at one time? Or does memory fail me...

Don't know the answer to that. Sorry!