LawrensonPhoto

Need a second hand laptop

Question

Posted (edited)

Second hand

Needs to run Adobe Bridge, Adobe Lightroom CC, Photo Mechanic.

Will this do:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Apple-MD102B-A-MacBook-Pro-A1278-13-3-Laptop-Silver/115197975?iid=113661387509

I ask because I haven't used a Mac for decades 😀

Edited by LawrensonPhoto

11 answers to this question

Forget it. This is a 2012 machine with 4GB of RAM so is right out at the limit of what might work with LRCC. Even if it did install and work, it is likely to be incredibly slow. It probably predates USB3 on the Mac as well - if so backing up or copying likely to be very slow. This machine might be fine for general purpose use but it is not a tool for a professional photographer in 2019 running new software. I would recommend 16GB of RAM nowadays as a minimum for future proofing.

May I ask why you want a Mac?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MDM said:

May I ask why you want a Mac?

Not bothered, just want a lightweight 13" laptop under 400 quid

Just had a thought, what if i took away lrcc, would it run bridge and photo mechanic and upgraded to 8gb

Edited by LawrensonPhoto

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MDM said:

Forget it.

On the other hand...The 2012 Mac is the last MacBook Pro model that can easily be upgraded.  It can be fitted with 16GB of RAM (yes 16GB, not the 8GB Apple say) and 1TB SSD and then it runs very sweetly. Sure it's not as fast as the latest models but if you want a cheaper Mac laptop than new, it's pretty damn fine IMHO. Mine runs LR and PS CC without issues. One caveat though, my camera only generates 20MP images. 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

3 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

On the other hand...The 2012 Mac is the last MacBook Pro model that can easily be upgraded.  It can be fitted with 16GB of RAM (yes 16GB, not the 8GB Apple say) and 1TB SSD and then it runs very sweetly. Sure it's not as fast as the latest models but if you want a cheaper Mac laptop than new, it's pretty damn fine IMHO. Mine runs LR and PS CC without issues. One caveat though, my camera only generates 20MP images. 

Mark

Perfect, my camera only generates 18mp files (Canon 1DX 😀)

The eBay MBP would be under resourced with just 4GB memory. My opinion is running High Sierra requires 8GB for everyday use, 16GB for as you would likely use it. Good that it has been upgraded with an SSD, but on small side. My wife uses the same MBP but with 16GB and a 500GB SSD and for her use is very happy with it. 

They have two common issues that can crop up. The hard drive cable can fail, less than a tenner from eBay, and with age the display hinge screws loosen causing the display to become a little floppy. To tighten the display it has to be removed, then the clutch cover, then tighten 6 torx T6 screws, easy. If you were to buy, don't upgrade the OS to Mojave, performance will drop.   

I have just recently upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra and have noticed that some things have slowed down or don't work as fast as they used to. There are no spinning beachballs or anything like that, just slower.

I am running the OS on a late 2013 27 inch iMac with 8GB memory. Does anyone know if the New OS requires more memory to run properly?

Also I tried "Dark Mode" for a while but have gone back to "Light Mode" as I cannot get on with DM. May try it again later.

Anyone on Mojave using DM regularly or have you gone back to LM?

Allan

5 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

I have just recently upgraded to Mojave from High Sierra and have noticed that some things have slowed down or don't work as fast as they used to. There are no spinning beachballs or anything like that, just slower.

I am running the OS on a late 2013 27 inch iMac with 8GB memory. Does anyone know if the New OS requires more memory to run properly?

Also I tried "Dark Mode" for a while but have gone back to "Light Mode" as I cannot get on with DM. May try it again later.

Anyone on Mojave using DM regularly or have you gone back to LM?

Allan

I took a full backup and installed Mojave a while back on my 2012 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1TB SSD. I didn't like Dark Mode at all and I could no longer set dark menu bar in Light mode, so I quickly swapped back to High Sierra. I didn't notice a performance hit, but then I have plenty of RAM and SSD. I really didn't see any great advantage to Mojave, just gimmicks.

Mark

12 hours ago, M.Chapman said:

I took a full backup and installed Mojave a while back on my 2012 MacBook Pro with 16GB of RAM and 1TB SSD. I didn't like Dark Mode at all and I could no longer set dark menu bar in Light mode, so I quickly swapped back to High Sierra. I didn't notice a performance hit, but then I have plenty of RAM and SSD. I really didn't see any great advantage to Mojave, just gimmicks.

Mark

Thanks Mark. When I got the iMac I ordered it with 500GB SSD and as I only use that for OS and other programmes, keeping all other files on remote discs, there is still over 400GB free. So plenty of space there.

Just wondering if it might be worth adding another 8GB of memory as it is so easy to do on the iMac.

Sticking with Mojave for now.

Allan

3 minutes ago, Allan Bell said:

Thanks Mark. When I got the iMac I ordered it with 500GB SSD and as I only use that for OS and other programmes, keeping all other files on remote discs, there is still over 400GB free. So plenty of space there.

Just wondering if it might be worth adding another 8GB of memory as it is so easy to do on the iMac.

Sticking with Mojave for now.

Allan

It's always worth having extra RAM Allan. 8GB is not enough for comfort nowadays. I would recommend checking out Mac Upgrades . They are not too far from you (south of Cambridge) and they provide excellent service onsite or by courier. I have used them a few times and have only good things to say about them.

5 minutes ago, MDM said:

It's always worth having extra RAM Allan. 8GB is not enough for comfort nowadays. I would recommend checking out Mac Upgrades . They are not too far from you (south of Cambridge) and they provide excellent service onsite or by courier. I have used them a few times and have only good things to say about them.

Thanks Mick. I have bookmarked them for later.

Allan