Photographing anywhere...

I've enjoyed reading this thread, lots of interesting views & information. But nobody has mentioned model releases. Does anyone ever use them in "street" photography?

Russell

Personally I don't as it simply isn't practical when there are more than a couple of people in the shot

I've enjoyed reading this thread, lots of interesting views & information. But nobody has mentioned model releases. Does anyone ever use them in "street" photography?

Russell

no.

Too much hassle. If people around realised what you were doing (possibly offering something/cash for a signature) they would be flocking to you. :)

Allan

Every experienced photographer has developed a strategy that works for them. There isn't one rule. I sorted mine many years ago and has worked ok for me. I discuss part of it here: http://peteslandscape.blogspot.co.uk/ The entry for October 13th. 

I also quite like Bruce Gilden's approach although it's not my style. There are videos of him working on You Tube but I saw him working in New York once as I was doing something similar on the opposite street corner but not as aggressively.  He was pushing a Leica and a flashgun in peoples faces and if they object to the intrusion he just abuses them back! Priceless! 

I just watched him on YouTube. Wow! A little slower and a fair percentage of his subjects would have time to thump him... Seemed like a nice guy on the documentary, when he was not holding a camera in the street. Different in Japan - you'd really upset people if you acted like that.  I've not had any problems here or elsewhere being subtle and smiling a thank you to anyone I photograph.

Mind you, I don't think that his style of photography is for me. Obviously a matter of taste. 

Every experienced photographer has developed a strategy that works for them. There isn't one rule. I sorted mine many years ago and has worked ok for me. I discuss part of it here: http://peteslandscape.blogspot.co.uk/ The entry for October 13th. 

I also quite like Bruce Gilden's approach although it's not my style. There are videos of him working on You Tube but I saw him working in New York once as I was doing something similar on the opposite street corner but not as aggressively.  He was pushing a Leica and a flashgun in peoples faces and if they object to the intrusion he just abuses them back! Priceless! 

I just watched him on YouTube. Wow! A little slower and a fair percentage of his subjects would have time to thump him... Seemed like a nice guy on the documentary, when he was not holding a camera in the street. Different in Japan - you'd really upset people if you acted like that.  I've not had any problems here or elsewhere being subtle and smiling a thank you to anyone I photograph.

Mind you, I don't think that his style of photography is for me. Obviously a matter of taste. 

That type of aggressive photography, were I to be on the receiving end, would not end well for the photographer.

That type of aggressive photography, were I to be on the receiving end, would not end well for the photographer.

The problem is that he's so fast you wouldn't have time to react... sufficiently.

The problem is that he's so fast you wouldn't have time to react... sufficiently.

I think that "New Yawk" accent -- that he says he doesn't like -- works for him. People expect us to be like that. Not many of us are, really. Of course, half the people on the street are from somewhere else. More than half, probably -- including me.

Paulette

Archived