Photographing anywhere...

Hi Danny,

first of all I think you got off lightly. Secondly there could have been a misunderstanding due to language differences - something could have been lost in translation; did you have an English/Geordie/Scottish dictionary handy? And thirdly where did the relationship go from there. On second thoughts maybe we shouldn't go there on a family forum. 

:D

Joe

Hi Danny,

first of all I think you got off lightly. Secondly there could have been a misunderstanding due to language differences - something could have been lost in translation; did you have an English/Geordie/Scottish dictionary handy? And thirdly where did the relationship go from there. On second thoughts maybe we shouldn't go there on a family forum. 

:D

Joe

Hi Joe,

I didn't get off on anything - if you'll excuse the phrase!  I just (lazily) added the smilies to Ed Rooney's post!

All the best... :)

Cheers for the reply Paul, weather was good all the way up, quick journey with no tsunamis  ;) are now sitting in the glencoe ski centre having full breakfast whilst looking at the sun shining on Buachaille Etive Mor... :)

Sorry Steve it's throwing it down here lol. Be careful on the route near the borders it tends to get hit quite hard with rain and the motorway is like a tsunami :)

Just read Mirco Vacca's post - In have recently returned from Poland - Krakow - and photographing people was NOT a problem. Sure, I asked, nodded to the camera and/or whatever means I had at my disposal (not polish!) and there was not the tiniest hint of an issue...

nj

Nice to read that other people experience the same. I am waiting for your images :). I went for example many times to a shop in Poland and when i want to make pictures i have a idea that the Polish store owners are proud to be photographed. There was even a man that started to take all his products out just to show the quality and waiting to be photographed. And this with a big smile on his face.

Leaves are a plenty in Scotland just now. The rusty look of the land is upon us. Low mist on the lochs are a sure fire winner this weekend at the clear skies and cold nights set in. I just wish I could motivate myself to be bothered. Scottish tourism board have not done a very good job of planning car stops for people. I counted 1 place on the A82 from Luss to the end of Loch Lomond, where you could stop. It's just not acceptable. 

are now sitting in the glencoe ski centre having full breakfast whilst looking at the sun shining on Buachaille Etive Mor... :)

Oh man, I envy you :)

Am still in doubt where to go in October. Could be Scotland, Brittany, the Bavarian Forest or the Dolomites. Any sign of autumn colours, up there in the Highlands?

Cheers,

Philippe

Although it is still as always very nice up here, everything seems a bit late compared to this time last year.... the bracken has changed colour along with the grasses and some of the trees but not as spectacular as when I was up last year.. The stags seem to still be up in the hills at the moment,  but we have spotted 2 sea eagles and a golden eagle yesterday..

Still a great place to be at this time of the year and we are promised some sunshine tomorrow  :)

Although it is still as always very nice up here, everything seems a bit late compared to this time last year.... the bracken has changed colour along with the grasses and some of the trees but not as spectacular as when I was up last year.. The stags seem to still be up in the hills at the moment,  but we have spotted 2 sea eagles and a golden eagle yesterday..

Still a great place to be at this time of the year and we are promised some sunshine tomorrow  :)

It's not surprising that everything is late this year given that last winter was severe and endless and spring didn't really start until late April. It was the coldest April on record in many places - I was in the west of Ireland in early April and we had a night of -10 which is really rare at any time, never mind April. The trees here in Cambridgeshire were just starting to flower in early May.

Just looking at the weather forecast it looks like summer is over. It was a lovely 20 here yesterday but it's cool today and the Met Office is showing it going down into low teens at best later this week.

Yip Summer is well and truly gone. It's single figures in Glasgow right now. 

I done a video for a school on Friday of some play, I shot a retiral party at night, then on Saturday did my first wedding. Sunday I slept. I went out yesterday and did my usual round about walk and I was just snapping people like it was my given right to do so. Must have been to do with being with all those strangers over the weekend lol 

Hi Paul

Just gave your portfolio a glance. Interesting streets shots. 

With some of them, I would go up and ask if you can take their picture. I too am just starting to explore this avenue and finding you usually get a positive response.

The juggler you shot comes to mind. Personally, I would have gone to have his front showing and not the back.

On monday, I was fortunate to get a shot of a soldier's hands holding his gun in one of the Paris stations. Just asked and after some quick talking managed to get a shot. I'm hoping it's sharp enough as I only got one shot before his commanding officer came over. I tried again yesterday with another soldier in Paris Austerlitz station. Again the response was positive but unfortunately I didn't get it as he wanted his commanding officer to not be around when I did it. My train came along quicker than the CO went away:(

Cheers for having a wee look :) It's pretty much a miss matched bunch of snaps I have. I question a lot of my earlier work and some of these street shots too. It suddenly dawned on me today that, if I've having bother keywording an image it's because it doesn't have a story or a message, thus meaning it's not saleable. 

Cheers for having a wee look :) It's pretty much a miss matched bunch of snaps I have. I question a lot of my earlier work and some of these street shots too. It suddenly dawned on me today that, if I've having bother keywording an image it's because it doesn't have a story or a message, thus meaning it's not saleable. 

And this is where you need think just a little bit more before tripping the shutter. Do I really need to take that photo? Is it really worth it?

I did this on Tuesday on my way through paris. Looked at an office building reflection the clouds. Thought "is it worth it? Maybe, I'll try another position. Nope, back to the first place but can I bothered? Yes, I have the time". And I'm glad I did as i think I got a good saleable image.

You have hit a key nail on the head there, I try and think of the keywords before i take the shot.

Regards

Craig

• 1 year later...

Maybe by asking permission? -_-

Years back, I had to take pictures of all kinds of fruit on display in a supermarket for a children's magazine. Went to my local supermarket, explained what I wanted to do and for who, asked permission et voilà. No problem.

But ask FIRST. Don't try it in a sneaky way and ask permission AFTER you got "caught". That way, I'd throw you out of my store as well :angry: .

Little tip: don't use a pocket camera, but the biggest reflex camera you got, a camera bag full of lenses and your tripod. That way, they know you're a serious professional doing his job.

Cheers,

Philippe

For me the opposite has been true. I have a big professional looking DSLR kit and a little Sony mirrorless NEX kit. I get hassled so much more using the dSLR. I'm routinely hassled by security doing my stock photo shtick and the mirrorless camera gets me a pass most of the time.

My advice would be generally, use an inconspicuous camera, and if you can bring a friend with you....it looks much less creepy that way. I really stick out, I'm 6'2" (188cm) fairly wide, grey haired- it's hard to avoid being noticed.  Also, I take the easy less likely to get me hassled shots first, then move on to the riskier shots. 

The whole security guard thing can get really weird. I regularly visit the Googleplex chasing self driving cars, new Android statues and the like. I've been approached at their property line and given the no trespassing spiel on some occasions. On other occasions in the very same spot I've been said go ahead and take photos. Sometimes there was nobody there to say yes or no. I've also been followed by their security off property for a fairly long stretch before.

On a related note, I recently stumbled upon Google's latest self driving car (the one without a steering wheel) in a public parking lot. I got out and started taking photos with my little Sony camera. When I broke out the Canon with the 70-200mm 2.8 the "driver" (what do you call the guy in a self driving car?!) got out and told me he wasn't comfortable having his photo taken. I politely told him there wasn't anything he could do about it, he was in a public parking lot. Guess if I stuck with the Sony he might not have even said anything.

The other day, I was out doing night shots (for my own use/flickr) late at night, with my dogs.

The police pulled me over as I lett the beach area,I thought they were going to want to question what I was up to, but they saw the camera, and the backpack with tripod sticking out of it

and said, you obviously have a camera bag, have you seen anyone shooting at us? Wanted to know if I had seen any laser lights, or heard any gun shots as someone was taking pot shots at them.

Normally I am fairly shy, depression means I often feel uncomfortable in crowded places, talking to people, or even going out, but I get days where I can literally walk into a supermarket with my dslr and just not care, taking as many photos as I feel like.

I was in Westminster a while ago and saw a good opportunity to get a shot of the police, but I needed to step out into the MPs only lane of the road to get it. As I then walked past the two officers one of them approached me. Oh dear.

"Is that a D300?" he asked, "what lens are you using?" We had quite a nice chat.

Tolerance varies geographically

In Australia no one has ever asked and quite frankly no one is that interested - police did once enquire why I wanted to photograph an airport

I found in the uk that officialdom always wants to know what you are doing

My approach in both markets is the same- I don't ask permission in supermarkets or shopping centres etc but I am open about what I'm doing and I leave the bigger lenses at home

Every experienced photographer has developed a strategy that works for them. There isn't one rule. I sorted mine many years ago and has worked ok for me. I discuss part of it here: http://peteslandscape.blogspot.co.uk/ The entry for October 13th. 

I also quite like Bruce Gilden's approach although it's not my style. There are videos of him working on You Tube but I saw him working in New York once as I was doing something similar on the opposite street corner but not as aggressively.  He was pushing a Leica and a flashgun in peoples faces and if they object to the intrusion he just abuses them back! Priceless! 

I do quite a lot of this sort of photography as Julie says, confidence is the most important thing - you cant become "invisible" if you are visibly anxious! I only use my Canon 5D with 24-105, or 16-35, so its quite large kit. 

If I'm taking photos of a specific person I will ask if its OK and smile lots! if they say no, then smile again! Friendliness usually overcomes most problems. 

No problems really in stores though you have to learn to have your camera set up before the shot, shoot quick and move on. 

The only time I had a problem in the UK was in a shopping centre with a security guard.

In a french supermarket I was once pounced on by two security guards as they thought I was a "retail spy" for a competitor photographing their prices. As soon as they realised I was a british tourist they laughed.

Morocco - now there the locals do not generally liked being photographed unless they are out to be photographed and you cross their palms with silver! No similar problems with anywhere else I have been!

Kumar

Apart from a group of females in a remote village in Morocco throwing stones to let me know that they didn't want to be photographed, I have only ever once encountered a problem.I had been walking down a busy street in Beijing and the usual problem in China is people getting upset if you don't take their picture.This guy was the exception to the rule and spotted me just as I took the shot.He came running over and tried to grab my camera and was so short,he was having to jump up off the ground to try and reach it ! I had my hand on top of his head to try and stop him, the local crowd that gathered thought it quite a comical sight ! After the guy gave up, a local told me that he probably "lost face" being photographed in his work clothes and that he would have been arrested if the police had seen him as assaulting a foreigner is a big no no ! 

Local-bicycle-repair-man-working-on-a-bi

I've been frustrated of late. I often pop in and out of peoples profiles. I often see images that I'd probably get slapped for taking, or reported to the authorities for. 

So how is this possible? 

A lot of pics of products in shops, bars, cafe's, restaurants and retail centres. I just wonder how people are able to take pictures in such places? I walked into Buchanan Galleries in Glasgow, a few weeks ago, and I didn't even have my camera on, it was slung over my shoulder, and a big bertha of a security guard ran up to me shouting "No photography in the centre!!" 

How are people getting shots in supermarkets? Pictures of people shopping and also pictures in IKEA of all places. I tried to take a picture of the name of a pillow (because it was funny) on my phone in IKEA, and some guy ran up to me and said I could take pictures of anything in the store. 

I also see pictures of staff posing in the stores for pictures. It's one getting the picture but it's another not telling them that you're going to be using the picture to earn money. How do people combat this? 

Small camera? sneaky shots? covert operations? 

If I walked into ASDA on a busy Saturday afternoon in Glasgow, and asked anyone in there if I could take their picture to then sell at a later date I'd be rushed out the store followed by an angry mob. 

I just don't know how you manage it...

Paul

Simple. Sony RX100

Costco-shoppers-lined-up-at-checkout-lan

Archived