Lightroom automask

22 hours ago, NYCat said:

Wow. No, I didn't know how to do that. Fabulous trick.

Paulette

I was using the adjustment brush frequently, but this little trick has saved me a lot time already 

I've tried to use it, but it can be problematic at the edge of the mask. The transition from where the mask applies to where it doesn't can be quite rough, with odd little blotches. I haven't cared to chance it with QC.

It might have improved since v5.7 and of course I might just not be very skilful with it, but I thought I'd put in a caveat.

15 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I've tried to use it, but it can be problematic at the edge of the mask. The transition from where the mask applies to where it doesn't can be quite rough, with odd little blotches. I haven't cared to chance it with QC.

It might have improved since v5.7 and of course I might just not be very skilful with it, but I thought I'd put in a caveat.

You could be right about the older version.

Did you use the method outlined in the video? Basically, make the image smaller and the brush a lot larger then click on the area you want adjusted. Then do a bit of cleanup after that.

I didn't know the automask could work like that so I am interested to learn something new. I'm not sure the mask feature has enough accuracy for me to want to rely on it for Alamy work, the mask spills over into areas of similar colour very easily and there is no way to fine tune the tonal range that I can see, other than by visually identifying and erasing unwanted sections, as the tutorial shows. 

My main reason for posting though is to say that on my venerable Lightroom v.4, the red overlay showing the mask area does not appear, or it appears sometimes and not on others, so it is difficult to see where the mask has taken effect. The mask is definitely there, as I can see if I make adjustments, but there is no red overlay. Does anybody know why this is the case?

Archived