Pinching photographers' keywords - time to call it out.

11 hours ago, Mike Brooks said:

Thanks for letting us know.
We do feel sharing and utilising others tags is now commonplace but obviously the tags need to be relevant so we will get in touch and remind the contributor to refrain from using tags irrelevant to the subject and to remove your name.
 That being said we don’t actually recommend adding your own name to your keywords as they should all be relevant to the image otherwise they’ll start appearing in irrelevant search results.

In the eyes of Alamy adding your name as a tag is the crime committed here, not the copying of keywords, therefore you’ve had the same telling off that they will get!

15 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I’ve gone to the immense trouble to identify plants and animals, keyword them and save them in Bridge templates so that I wouldn’t have to start from scratch the next time I shot that subject. 

Wholesale copying can get one in a heap of trouble, because sometimes there are only tiny subtle differences between living things and they have different scientific names. I have actually spent a couple of days, hours at a time, trying to properly identify some subjects. I wonder how many images on Alamy are wrongly identified by those who copy tags with no research of their own?

Betty

Betty, I take your point and agree with that completely. You have invested time and effort in conducting research and without your effort and diligence, the photo would not have been correctly labeled.  I can see that this is where it starts to get complicated and perhaps that is why a blanket ban is more appropriate. Personally, I would still have no issue if someone copied mine with the proviso that it was a two-way process when needed.

I don't care if anyone copies my keywords, my pic will still be mine and surely that's the important bit?  If people think my keywords are good enough to copy (which I very much doubt is the case!) I'm flattered!  There's more important things to think about in the world, rather than something as minor as copying tags, IMO, of course. 😊

Archived