Well that's that then. My application for live news access has been refused. Extremely disappointed and unsure where I go from here. 😥

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Well that's that then. My application for live news access has been refused. Extremely disappointed and unsure where I go from here. 😥

Have you contacted Jessica to see if there is a reason. I was tempted to go to SW** but heard mixed things

38 minutes ago, Pete Snelling said:

Have you contacted Jessica to see if there is a reason. I was tempted to go to SW** but heard mixed things

I don't see much point to be honest. They obviously don't think my submissions are what they want. That's fair enough. I just wish they had given a road map to achieving live news accreditation.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

I don't see much point to be honest. They obviously don't think my submissions are what they want. That's fair enough. I just wish they had given a road map to achieving live news accreditation.

Road map? Nah. Just one of those chuffing great concrete barriers with a "No Entry" sign on it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

Road map? Nah. Just one of those chuffing great concrete barriers with a "No Entry" sign on it.

For some reason I more imagine Sir Ian McKellen wearing grey robes with a large wooden staff... YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!! 🙂

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

For some reason I more imagine Sir Ian McKellen wearing grey robes with a large wooden staff... YOU SHALL NOT PASS!!!! 🙂

Or Tommy Smith. You can pass, but don't expect to still have both legs

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I was thinking more of the Vogon bureaucracy myself.

• Upvote 2

Finger down the throat. Resistance is useless.

5 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Sorry to read that.

19 hours ago, spacecadet said:

Finger down the throat. Resistance is useless.

I've been removed from the hive and resistance is futile. ;) 

23 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

That's fair enough. I just wish they had given a road map to achieving live news accreditation.

I guess they just don't see that providing  a road map is part of their business. They are a conduit for the finished product.

However...they do provide a forum, may I quote line one of the rules... The Alamy forum is for contributors to spark debate and find answers from each other. 

I have also heard that KM's course is good value.

So come on you clever people, if you were going to provide a road map, what would you do?

Here's mine...

1. Give up now.  Well it's an option, it will give you the time to buy that Gold Mine in Guyana that Todd Hoffman ran, if not for you then...

2. Keep shooting stock, but look for topical subjects. QC is quick these days , something shot on monday  is available and at the top of the queue for a "New" search by the Sundays on friday. I've sold two stock pictures of Debenhams this month,  they were both just about a week old. Your feedback will be stock sales.

3. Keep repeating 2, until you are ready. For me, these stock pictures sell better than my general stock.

4. People make a mistake when submitting their first 3 pictures to QC of submitting what they think of as "Great Photographs" or their "favourites" and not something that demonstrates the basics of focus, exposure and composition. Your goal is to practice getting  "good news photographs" into your stock portfolio.

5. When you are ready, get set up to submit some pictures very shortly after you take them. Within the hour works for some markets. Get your captions right, the syntax is important, it is a tangible item you can be measured on as is speed of delivery. Most other items are subjective.

6. Shoot your pictures, email Live News with what you have.

7. Repeat 2 through 6 untill rich.

I have people waiting for me so this is a bit scribbled.

James

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

In programming circles this is known as an infinite loop 😊

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Standfast said:

I guess they just don't see that providing  a road map is part of their business. They are a conduit for the finished product.

However...they do provide a forum, may I quote line one of the rules... The Alamy forum is for contributors to spark debate and find answers from each other. 

I have also heard that KM's course is good value.

So come on you clever people, if you were going to provide a road map, what would you do?

Here's mine...

1. Give up now.  Well it's an option, it will give you the time to buy that Gold Mine in Guyana that Todd Hoffman ran, if not for you then...

2. Keep shooting stock, but look for topical subjects. QC is quick these days , something shot on monday  is available and at the top of the queue for a "New" search by the Sundays on friday. I've sold two stock pictures of Debenhams this month,  they were both just about a week old. Your feedback will be stock sales.

3. Keep repeating 2, until you are ready. For me, these stock pictures sell better than my general stock.

4. People make a mistake when submitting their first 3 pictures to QC of submitting what they think of as "Great Photographs" or their "favourites" and not something that demonstrates the basics of focus, exposure and composition. Your goal is to practice getting  "good news photographs" into your stock portfolio.

5. When you are ready, get set up to submit some pictures very shortly after you take them. Within the hour works for some markets. Get your captions right, the syntax is important, it is a tangible item you can be measured on as is speed of delivery. Most other items are subjective.

6. Shoot your pictures, email Live News with what you have.

I have people waiting for me so this is a bit scribbled.

James

Sadly Keith’s course was cancelled this year which is a pity.  

10 minutes ago, IanDavidson said:

Sadly Keith’s course was cancelled this year which is a pity.  

Yes - I when I called to book my place they were not sure if it was running....... that was about a week before the Live news changes... I was on the waiting list, but didnt hear anything else, so assumed it had been cancelled.

I wonder if it was due to the changes Alamy were planning?

I'm still waiting to hear if my application to be let back in has been accepted - If I don't get my permissions restored, I would like to know what the criteria is to get accepted into Live News.

I have sold video footage to ITN, but am relatively new to Alamy. I had submitted some Live News, all properly tagged. One sold as stock, but I don't know where it was published.

I'd still be very interested in doing a course with Keith - especially to learn the workflow of fast publishing via mobile now this seems to be one of the criteria - and learn what type of pictures sell!

Julian

2 hours ago, Jools Devon said:

Yes - I when I called to book my place they were not sure if it was running....... that was about a week before the Live news changes... I was on the waiting list, but didnt hear anything else, so assumed it had been cancelled.

I wonder if it was due to the changes Alamy were planning?

I'm still waiting to hear if my application to be let back in has been accepted - If I don't get my permissions restored, I would like to know what the criteria is to get accepted into Live News.

I have sold video footage to ITN, but am relatively new to Alamy. I had submitted some Live News, all properly tagged. One sold as stock, but I don't know where it was published.

I'd still be very interested in doing a course with Keith - especially to learn the workflow of fast publishing via mobile now this seems to be one of the criteria - and learn what type of pictures sell!

Julian

Keith has published in detail, on this forum his excellent workflow.  I am a bit puzzled, however as I was told his course was cancelled due to a lack of interest: yet there was a waiting list.  This does not seem to add up.  It has been suggested that Keith knew about the changes before most of us (allegedly he posted on another forum before the announcement, but I do not know if this is true.).  That would, maybe, be an explanation.  

There are are many ways to “fast publish”.   Keith uses a phone with preset IPTC data. (No doubt he will correct me if I am wrong)  I use a laptop with photo mechanic, again with prepopulated  IPTC data.  I have a mifi which means I can send from any location.  

As to what sells, no one knows the answer to that.  Keith has a particular niche, as do I.  (In my case cabinet ministers, if they stand still long enough).  Keith is far far more successful than most on Alamy.  But, he has a particular niche/style (look at his portfolio).  .  If you look at the topics of “images found “insert month” “. You will see a vast variety. Alamy gives a lot of guidance as to picture demands, trends etc, an excellent service.  

My personal view is that I need to put in a lot of research as to current news trends etc and try (normally not successfully) to take and market  photos that match.  However, as I often discuss with other London news photographers there is a big chunk of luck along with another chunk of experience (knowing where to be when) and pure hard work, long hours and perseverance that can lead to sales.  Everyone’s experience is different. All the togs I speak to are frequently surprised by what sells.  I guess the big step is not to think about “your photos” but about client’s photo requirements.  

Just my personal view...  

• Upvote 4

Not sure how photos of Frank Sinatra in 1974 or Tom Sellick in 1996 deserve a place on the Live News feed today - even if they have added today's date to the caption. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jools Devon said:

<snip>

Julian

I had an email on 1st April conveying "The take up for this years seminar is low and as a consequence we have reluctantly decided to cancel and not proceed with it." I've no idea how many participants were required to have made it viable. I had originally registered an interest via email.

And today that which we said would happen has happened.

Daily Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6991977/Teenage-girl-17-murdered-home-leafy-Wiltshire-village.html  using a "google earth" photo.

Why did I not drive 15 miles yesterday to go and get some on-scene shots and upload to Alamy so Alamy could sell them to the Daily Mail?  Could it be that I do not have live news privileges?  That I am actually snowed under with other stuff at the moment which makes going through email application processes something I simply do not have time or resources to do so decided that I would not bother?

Yes, I am bloody kicking myself this morning for not going - but that is the difference that having access to instant upload makes.  I could not tell in advance that this incident would make the nationals any more than I could tell that the similar incidents I have covered and uploaded before the ban would not make the nationals.  

Oh and for the record it was not a leafy Wiltshire village it was a small town - this happened fairly close to the towns football ground where I shoot fairly often.  Later on this evening, I will probably be able to provide more background to the story as their team is in a final I am shooting - background I could have got yesterday if I had had an easy way to do something with it.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 03/05/2019 at 22:43, IanDavidson said:

It has been suggested that Keith knew about the changes before most of us (allegedly he posted on another forum before the announcement, but I do not know if this is true.).  That would, maybe, be an explanation.  

There's no "suggestion", it's fact. And there's no "allegedly"  about it either, it's there for all to see. Announced 48 hours prior to any official Alamy announcement. Make what you like about it. I have my suspicions what's going on behind the scenes, particularly in light of said members failure to respond to the question previously to put him

Edited by ReeRay
  • Upvote 3

On 04/05/2019 at 18:48, ReeRay said:

There's no "suggestion", it's fact. And there's no "allegedly"  about it either, it's there for all to see. Announced 48 hours prior to any official Alamy announcement. Make what you like about it. I have my suspicions what's going on behind the scenes, particularly in light of said members failure to respond to the question previously to put him

I don’t think there is any big conspiracy theory.. Keith knew a day or two before us as I suspect did a few of Alamy’s other big contributors. Alamy have a track record of soliciting opinions from some of it’s more successful contributors.. when the new AIM came in, a select few knew about it and had been beta testing it before the rest of us.

• Upvote 4

Posted (edited)

So encouraging to see the live news page this morning, where the first half dozen UK images are.......... all weather. The first one is one of Keith's.

Then there's a town crier and a bloke with a green face, some more weather and a footballer.

Edited by spacecadet

Posted (edited)

Sold some green faces last week. Uploaded quickly and they were

published by the Sun before I left Glastonbury. Same pictures, same lovely people as last year when I sold nothing, but this year I uploaded 3 hours quicker.

Second guessing what will sell will always be a mystery to me..However a quick upload and published before going home is now to me "the Aberystwyth method"....

Edited by Mr Standfast
Lovely green faced pagans....

Just a quick update on this from us.

Firstly - there is no cover-up/conspiracy here.  As previously mentioned, we took the decision to remove automatic access to the news feed to all as this past year we’ve seen a dramatic increase of imagery that isn’t suitable, either due to the content itself or from  incorrectly formatted captions. Dealing with this was taking up a considerable amount of time that would otherwise be spent pushing the best content to our Live News clients. For this reason, news access was limited to those who used news upload regularly and had made live news sales. If you didn't use it regularly or didn't make many live news sales, then access was removed. Applications are open if you lost access but want it returned. As you can imagine, demand has been high for this and we're working through the applications as quickly as possible. 

As this process involved tens of thousands contributors, we took the decision to only email those who had used the live news service since January 2018, as anyone not uploading since then were effectively not active. We're sorry this has not been welcomed by some of you who didn't get the email notification. 

We also recognise that some of you had uploaded images as live news that later had sold as secondary stock, so you were concerned that without news upload then these images would not have been available. As a result of this, as from today, if you are someone who has uploaded news imagery that has later sold as secondary stock, we’ve given you access to the archive / reportage route which means you can upload similar work for secondary sales, but it won’t end up on the news feed to be pinged to the news desks. This means you should still be able to benefit from those stock sales of "news style" imagery, even if it's not live news. This does not affect your live news application if you have already submitted one.

For those who don't have access to the archive / reportage route, as with Live News, applications are open and are available via your contributor dashboard.

Alamy

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, Alamy said:

As a result of this, as from today, if you are someone who has uploaded news imagery that has later sold as secondary stock, we’ve given you access to the archive / reportage route which means you can upload similar work for secondary sales, but it won’t end up on the news feed to be pinged to the news desks. This means you should still be able to benefit from those stock sales of "news style" imagery, even if it's not live news. This does not affect your live news application if you have already submitted one.

What does this actually mean? Are these images on sale immediately? There still seems like little point pushing a picture of a beautiful sunset like I sold via Live news fairly recently... at the moment, a different agency seems like a better option.

• Upvote 1