To show the people to and fro,

To stock photography I must go,

Should news put on a show,

Then Alamy will never no.

To live by the the sea, and sell with glee.

Sadly, not for me.

I was going to write a load of twaddle about the benefits of soft news, problems with gaming the system, but the sun is shining, I'm going to go and point the fuji at something.

If you want me to never rhyme again please send a petition to Alamy asking to re-instate me. You should be up to 6 million signatures by tea time.

Am I miffed? Need you ask?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

News?   

T42FTX

T42HJY 

Edited by Sultanpepa
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

News?   

T42FTX

T42HJY 

Fifth anniversary of a disaster that claimed 300 lives. ?

yes

km

really? marked down with two red arrows for suggesting that this picture was actually newsworthy......

Edited by RedSnapper
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

Fifth anniversary of a disaster that claimed 300 lives. ?

yes

km

Not by Alamy's definition it's not. Quoting from their email to me....

"Remember, if you ever have breaking news pictures that were taken in the past hour, please apply for Breaking News via the news application form. (Please note – Every day weather, political marches or previously scheduled events are NOT breaking news)"

Not sure how to get Shuttersnitch to fill out the news application form either!

Edited by Matt Ashmore
  • Upvote 3

"Please note – Every day weather, political marches or previously scheduled events are NOT breaking news)"

Was this published any where? Other than the e-mail to Matt.

Without these submissions the Live news feed would be a bit empty.

The web page for sell Live News says....

• Take photos of a news worthy event.
  • Weather is always in the news

Whether (sorry) you like it or not, weather is ALWAYS of interest to the newspapers. They want images showing how cold it is, how hot it is, how dry it is, how flooded it is and how foggy it is where you are.

The consistency of our customer experience does not bare scrutiny. Please ALAMY get to grips with this before the story gets out.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

"Remember, if you ever have breaking news pictures that were taken in the past hour, please apply for Breaking News via the news application form. (Please note – Every day weather, political marches or previously scheduled events are NOT breaking news)"

I used to submit because there was the chance of a sale. No way am I going to invest any time and effort if there's only a chance of acceptance.

14 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I used to submit because there was the chance of a sale. No way am I going to invest any time and effort if there's only a chance of acceptance.

1 hour ago, Matt Ashmore said:

19 hours ago, Keith Douglas said:

Why? They want Live News that is going to sell as News. Then it goes into Stock with the same quality warnings. But what we don't need is a get out for contributors who submit Stock via Live News to bypass QC. I saw one portfolio which was almost all submitted as 'Live News' but the vast majority of images were not News and the general quality was very poor, to put it mildly. Clearly someone gaming the system.

Just Keep it simple rather than making it complicated so that you can argue about it.

It seems to me, Alamy's decision is based on keeping existing large or perhaps daily contributors happy, seeing as some are being very vocal and quite happy at the cull of some decent photographers, Keith's image here, for example is a standard weather pic, in live news, which doesn't fit the latest criteria in your e-mail 

https://www.alamy.com/hest-bank-lancashire-uk-10-april-2019-uk-weather-clear-blue-sky-and-bright-sunshine-after-an-overnight-frost-as-a-dog-walker-makes-her-way-along-the-towpath-by-the-lancaster-canal-further-sunshine-is-forecast-for-the-rest-of-the-day-but-with-an-easterly-breeze-it-will-feel-cool-out-of-the-sunshine-credit-keith-douglas-newsalamy-live-news-image243199926.html?pv=1&stamp=2&imageid=DD42514D-22C2-4757-9369-5E5B0DAE2C01&p=255400&n=0&orientation=0&pn=1&searchtype=12&IsFromSearch=1&srch=foo%3dbar%26st%3d12%26pn%3d1%26ps%3d100%26sortby%3d2%26resultview%3dsortbyPopular%26npgs%3d0%26qt%3d%26qt_raw%3d%26lic%3d3%26mr%3d0%26pr%3d0%26ot%3d0%26creative%3d%26ag%3d0%26hc%3d0%26pc%3d%26blackwhite%3d%26cutout%3d%26tbar%3d0%26et%3d0x000000000000000000000%26vp%3d0%26loc%3d0%26imgt%3d0%26dtfr%3d%26dtto%3d%26size%3d0xFF%26archive%3d1%26groupid%3d%26pseudoid%3d%26a%3d%26cdid%3d%26cdsrt%3d%26name%3dKeith%20Douglas%26qn%3d%26apalib%3d%26apalic%3d%26lightbox%3d%26gname%3d%26gtype%3d%26xstx%3d0%26simid%3d%26saveQry%3d%26editorial%3d1%26nu%3d%26t%3d%26edoptin%3d%26customgeoip%3dGB%26cap%3d1%26cid%3dJGGF28K8JF24NBQXUK2NJDDKWVSPNE3A9DQF6UZZLWKNKF6SGJA8B7HSHJK5JU67%26vd%3d0%26lb%3d%26fi%3d2%26edrf%3d0%26ispremium%3d1%26flip%3d0%26pl%3d

Has anyone who has re-applied actually been accepted yet? Also, is an average weather pic allowed, as long as it is taken within an hour?

Chris

• Upvote 5

This email to Matt seems to suggest that they are saying that the bar is a lot higher for those below the cut. They seem to feel that they will have enough pictures of demonstrations, every day weather and previously scheduled events from the chosen ones but of course if you've got something really fantastic they are prepared to look at it. 

It looks as if those above the cut can carry on photographing every day weather, political demonstrations and previously scheduled events until the cows come home, and they can photograph the cows coming home as well.

• Upvote 5

6 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

This email to Matt seems to suggest that they are saying that the bar is a lot higher for those below the cut. They seem to feel that they will have enough pictures of demonstrations, every day weather and previously scheduled events from the chosen ones but of course if you've got something really fantastic they are prepared to look at it. 

It looks as if those above the cut can carry on photographing every day weather, political demonstrations and previously scheduled events until the cows come home, and they can photograph the cows coming home as well. 

Seems to about sum it up.  Divide and rule.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

57 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Which if true seems very unfair and just causes division, upset and acrimony.

• Upvote 5

Just looked at around the alamy web site and saw this in the advert for customer service manager.

Just FYI

"Our values:

• Put the customer first
  • Succeed (and fail) as a team
  • Strive for Better
  • Be Bold Be Brave
  • Do the right thing"

I've been watching live news content over recent days. It seems to me that Alamy have decided that, apart from a favoured few, they have given up on contributor generate content, and instead are acting as distributors for a long list of Agencies. Action Plus Sports,  Xinhua, DPA, ITAR-TASS, Foto Arena LTDA, EFE, Aflo Co Ltd to name but a few.

Though why UK news should be ousted in favour of litter picks in Eastern Russia or Indonesia, or blatantly biased reporting of dead bodies in Gaza leaves me speechless.

But the message is clear. Alamy doesn't want us any more.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

(Please note – Every day weather  are NOT breaking news)"

Really, Alamy?!  What a joke.  😂

• Upvote 1

Wow every time I go out thinking Alamy cannot possibly make things worse I come back to find they have.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

(As Russell said on the list of agencies...).

It is well known that most are distribution partners among them, at the same time as with Alamy.
Each mentioned agency has local/regional contributors or staff togs in where their headquarters are based, and in most cases also directly contributors from abroad (I have contributed with one of them). But, the most important thing is, in some way the "world map, especially those big/important cities" are covered.

The live news was in a certain way out of control, because it was "allowed", but to say a great part of the "problem" wasn't a mistake from "we" the contributors.
Now, the land was cleared, many times "demolishing an old house is easier than repairing it". Simply, this is part of the harsh reality about running a business. IMHO
(I mentioned before about my disappointment on the way it was done)

After that "surprise" e-mail and the re-applying, I did not stand still waiting for a response whether favorable or not (so far just silence), so once again, I began to invest more time in upgrading my blog/site portfolio, at the same time contacting with a few of more news specialized "heavyweight" agencies. So far, at least I have received specific feedback (or convincing answers) about projects in the medium term, from professionals who have worked in the front line. Fingers crossed.

On the other hand, "breaking news" images are always "newsworthy", but "newsworthy" images are not necessary "breaking news".

Have a nice weekend!

Andre

Edited by AM Chang
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, losdemas said:

Just to clarify... 

I didn't mean to say that this is a deliberate policy that Alamy have put in place, just that this seems to be it's effect. Same as the commission cut. The two threads concerning the cut revealed lots of rough edges and had various contributors here on the verge of attacking one another - a long way from the general sense of community and well-being that we have tended to have here in the last few years. 

Alamy have been sadly lacking in the way they approach things. They still possibly remain the best place to be - I imagine that other agencies given the same circumstances would've perhaps been worse?

It's just that 'they' seem to have a great idea, which should be thoroughly reviewed and thrashed out among those in charge - but isn't. It's then implemented, then they realise what a gormless error they've (he/she?) made, then back-pedal furiously, knocking down everyone in the process. I just get the feeling that lessons aren't learned.

There are a large contingent here, however, who will probably quite rightly tell me to shut up and get my camera out! It's a business, just get on with taking photos. Let Alamy do their side of the business in the way they deem best. I can live with that.

I think that both views have their merits. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

• Upvote 2

As most will know - I have always advocated that shooting news is different to shooting stock.

Many of the arguments I have read have centred on “weather” as soft news.. and whether it is news...... many subjects “can” be soft news... the thing is not always the subject... it can be how the subject is shot.... that is not to point the finger at anyone or any of the arguments... I am just saying news photographers tend to approach subjects, hard or soft, in a particular way.....

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Julie Edwards said:

As most will know - I have always advocated that shooting news is different to shooting stock.

Many of the arguments I have read have centred on “weather” as soft news.. and whether it is news...... many subjects “can” be soft news... the thing is not always the subject... it can be how the subject is shot.... that is not to point the finger at anyone or any of the arguments... I am just saying news photographers tend to approach subjects, hard or soft, in a particular way.....

I completely agree.

I think that the discussion of whether the "weather" is newsworthy or not, it's a "misunderstanding" consequence of what was already mentioned (surprise e-mail), from one day to the next for some togs who shoot "weather" it remains "newsworthy", for another who also shoot it is no longer (just because the lack of upload route, etc.).

"Live news (platform)" should be separated from photojournalism which is much broader and more interesting.

(And, please, it's nothing special with anyone, it's a general point of view, everyone has my respect, the "original main problem" is not you, lady or gentleman "togs". To say, "we" are the consequence of a "ill-advised/imprudent" action).

Edited by AM Chang

Another "live news?" trio which is sure to cause a stink. T455E0

• Upvote 6

10 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Since when are scheduled events and political marches not news?    Looking at the live news pages, I see many scheduled sporting events,  political demonstrations and events, entertainment events,  photos of the sun, the moon, and photos of a skunk in green grass (ok that last one wasn't scheduled, but is it news?).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Sultanpepa said:

Another "live news?" trio which is sure to cause a stink. T455E0

This one is better T4561P

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sally said:

This one is better T4561P

Lovely rich blacks! 

• Upvote 1

On 12/04/2019 at 02:05, Starsphinx said:

The point I (and others) are trying to make is that by insisting on the former coming only from the latter Alamy are restricting themselves.

Good photographers who do not have regular news sales can and will take newsy pictures which have the possibility to sell.  So what if each non-regular news contributor only ever gets one "scoop" in their lifetime - multiply that by the number of lifetimes of contributors and that is a hell of a lot of scoops that Alamy has just done a good job of cutting itself off from (not because of what it has done but how it has done it)

How do you more gently tell someone that his or her services are not wanted at this time without some proof of making news sales elsewhere (the PDF sample sheet)?   Lot of hurt feelings by people who admit that they never sold a news image as news, though some sold as stock later. 

Ever fired someone?  Be blunt, be brief, and let both you and the former employee get on with life.  People with news photography priors in other venues can reapply with their sample PDFs; people with breaking news photos can contact Alamy to up load those photographs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MizBrown said:

Ever fired someone?  Be blunt, be brief, and let both you and the former employee get on with life. 

Not a good idea if you want to fire that someone from one activity (i.e. as an Alamy News contributor) whilst simultaneously keeping them motivated in their other activity (i.e. as an Alamy Stock contributor). Especially when you've also cut their commission rates for non-exclusive images a few weeks earlier.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Upvote 7

7 hours ago, MariaJ said:

Since when are scheduled events and political marches not news?    Looking at the live news pages, I see many scheduled sporting events,  political demonstrations and events, entertainment events,  photos of the sun, the moon, and photos of a skunk in green grass (ok that last one wasn't scheduled, but is it news?).

They are news, but Alamy has retained sufficient contributors and agencies to cover these, and they do obviously react to true breaking news too.

For a previous contributor to get a look in with breaking news they would literally have to be the first on the scene and file quickly, but they most likely won't have the contacts that others who do this regularly have or get a text from Alamy. The chances of a previous contributor submitting breaking news would be close to nil. I have looked at alternatives, and I suspect many of us already have. 

I was in London yesterday and there were Alamy contributors covering the non breaking news events, including the London march against extinction and trophy hunting I shot for stock. I avoided the Yellow Vest's UK, they have been done to death. Future more topical events I shoot may be more suited as news.