19 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

Ha - yes i will - good idea😀

Seems to be the obvious way forward.  In reality there's only a handful of newsdesks to email pics to anyway.

Alamy are not unreasonable about this.  I am an occasional Live News contributor and I know I have sold at least one the next day as a direct consequence (as a result of the vigilance of some kind soul in one of the "Have you found any images in..." thread).

Yesterday evening I was coming home over London Bridge and by chance came across a protest by minicab drivers against Sadiq Khan and the imposition of the congestion change on minicabs.  I always have a camera with me and I enthusiastically snapped 100 or so pictures of what was going on, and headed for my train home with great anticipation, planning to upload some to Live News.  It takes me nearly 2 hours to get home, and as I was uploading the pictures to my computer, I checked my emails - what a day to find the notification from Alamy that Live News uploads were no longer possible!

A quick call to Alamy resulted in the suggestion that I email Live News with a sample picture, which I did.  They came back shortly afterwards and temporarily restored my Live News upload capability, as a result of which I was able to upload 19 images.  The images were up about 4 hours after they were taken. 

I will be looking later today to see whether any of them made the newspapers.  So far as I can see, there were no other Live News uploads covering the same subject yesterday (although there have been similar previous protests, which may mean that newspapers are less inclined to cover a repeat event).

Come what may, Alamy were certainly not dogmatic about this and found a way to help when there was an immediate and genuine Live News type event.

Graham

• Love 2
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Graham said:

Come what may, Alamy were certainly not dogmatic about this and found a way to help when there was an immediate and genuine Live News type event.

Graham

They were pretty dogmatic about not telling contributors about it.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Graham said:

Alamy are not unreasonable about this.  I am an occasional Live News contributor and I know I have sold at least one the next day as a direct consequence (as a result of the vigilance of some kind soul in one of the "Have you found any images in..." thread).

Yesterday evening I was coming home over London Bridge and by chance came across a protest by minicab drivers against Sadiq Khan and the imposition of the congestion change on minicabs.  I always have a camera with me and I enthusiastically snapped 100 or so pictures of what was going on, and headed for my train home with great anticipation, planning to upload some to Live News.  It takes me nearly 2 hours to get home, and as I was uploading the pictures to my computer, I checked my emails - what a day to find the notification from Alamy that Live News uploads were no longer possible!

A quick call to Alamy resulted in the suggestion that I email Live News with a sample picture, which I did.  They came back shortly afterwards and temporarily restored my Live News upload capability, as a result of which I was able to upload 19 images.  The images were up about 4 hours after they were taken. 

I will be looking later today to see whether any of them made the newspapers.  So far as I can see, there were no other Live News uploads covering the same subject yesterday (although there have been similar previous protests, which may mean that newspapers are less inclined to cover a repeat event).

Graham

That's good, but operating that way stinks of Alamy trying to have its cake and eat it.

If they can't treat contributors with respect then why would we want to go around the houses to get a good news set to them.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Graham said:

Graham

To me your point makes the argument not to restrict who can upload - but to control what is uploaded

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Foreign Export said:

To me your point makes the argument not to restrict who can upload - but to control what is uploaded

I agree.  An infrequent news uploader is possibly someone who uploads only when they have something which they think may be of interest, is a bit different or eye catching.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Graham said:

and found a way to help

I too think you are being very charitable here which is your prerogative of course, they found a way to help you get around the huge obstacle they had put in your path with absolutely no notice, and only temporarily.

Phew!

Much has been made of the '1 hour' and I think we all know that this is a guide, however if you have been blocked and have to reapply then the form page asks "Are you able to file IPTC ready images to us within 1 hour of them being taken?". That actually seems quite fair, have you the means to do so?

By a rather sad irony when I received the dreaded email I'd just finished researching what I would need to get in order to be able to do so and I found a great deal of useful information on this forum, looks like I won't be needing that for the time being.

2 minutes ago, Sultanpepa said:

Having a look at the news feed this morning, I'm wondering why this is acceptable and others not? Farm work, Spring, China

Goodness gracious it's sunny in Sheerness.  Wow that should hit the headlines!!

Pearl

• Like 1

Perhaps a more constructive approach would be to restrict access to the existing News, Sport, and Entertainment tabs but add an extra tab for topical or soft news images with access for all. This would prevent the weather and blossom images from cluttering the hard news categories without shutting out contributors who wish to develop their photo-journalism  skills. A limit on the number of images that could be uploaded per month might encourage people to edit more carefully and not to use it as a route to avoid QC. Just a thought...

• Like 5

Just now, Sprocket said:

Perhaps a more constructive approach would be to restrict access to the existing News, Sport, and Entertainment tabs but add an extra tab for topical or soft news images with access for all. This would prevent the weather and blossom images from cluttering the hard news categories without shutting out contributors who wish to develop their photo-journalism  skills. A limit on the number of images that could be uploaded per month might encourage people to edit more carefully and not to use it as a route to avoid QC. Just a thought...

Yes, I effectively suggested that earlier in the thread. 

1 minute ago, Sprocket said:

Reasonable suggestion on the face of it

4 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

add an extra tab for topical or soft news

Yes, my thoughts exactly but you've added the detail in what looks like a very workable solution. It's clear that these soft news pictures are important both to the photographers and to Alamy and they've never sat well amongst the News, Sport or Entertainment categories so this seems like a very good idea. The time limit could be extended I suppose, there isn't quite the urgency. I wonder if Alamy will listen. 

11 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Yet the papers love such images... depends if it's a 'slow news' day or not I guess.

Well it's raining on Anglesey but I wouldn't dream of sending that in as live news unless it was extreme.  Oh but wait - there's a Starling on the lawn - how do I apply?

Pearl

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Reported by Sally in The Times, a typical example of soft news T1EGBC by Ed Brown. If he's on the forum I'd be interested to learn how much he earned from this as Live News vs a standard Stock shot - obviously not the detail, but relative earnings.

6 minutes ago, Russell said:

Reported by Sally in The Times, a typical example of soft news T1EGBC by Ed Brown. If he's on the forum I'd be interested to learn how much he earned from this as Live News vs a standard Stock shot - obviously not the detail, but relative earnings.

This wasn’t a Live News use since it was uploaded on March 26th. It is a stock use. 

Edited by Sally

3 minutes ago, Pearl said:

Well it's raining on Anglesey but I wouldn't dream of sending that in as live news unless it was extreme.  Oh but wait - there's a Starling on the lawn - how do I apply?

Pearl

Having looked, the Sheerness images are a bit 'lame' and I agree.. I wouldn't have uploaded those. But people with umbrellas fighting against bad weather in a town setting.. maybe.

4 minutes ago, Russell said:

And I think this is the point. Papers do use these images... and clearly they took the Live News image of a bird sat on a twig instead of one from the stock collection.. I guess simply because it comes with some providence of being 'of the moment' or 'current'. Equally, the Guardian used a sunset in Bournemouth that I submitted about a month ago as Live News... again.. thousands of sunset images in the stock collection. 

In my case, I was on a family day out, happened to be on the beach during a nice sunset so took images with my Sony RX100 -> transferred to my phone using the camera's built in wifi functionality -> uploaded with Shuttersnitch in minutes -> I got a $$$ sale.

• Alamy locked this topic