Mis Labelled Images - report or let owner know?

John J Bloomfield

Question

25 answers to this question

There's no easy way to directly contact a contributor ourselves. Given the embarrassing nature of the error should the identification not be spotted by a client, I suspect Alamy would like to hear about it so they can sort it out with the contributor. E-mail Contributor Relations.

I once had an alleged captioning mistake reported to me by member services. That caption turned out to be correct in the first place and left me with a strange feeling. While they admitted that another contributor reported it, they wouldn't say who it was or report back to that individual when things were checked out. 

On one hand, I felt like I had been denounced and on the other, I understood that all large collections must have an error or two.

I urge you to think carefully and be absolutely sure.

28 minutes ago, John J Bloomfield said:

Is there a way to report to let the owner know about images tagged with the wrong description.

As it happens that photographer has a website with a contact form so you could try and let him know that way. I might have made the Alfie Boe mistake myself, certainly I don't think I would have correctly guessed Ardal O'Hanlon!

Looking at online images of both named above they look very much alike and it could be easy to mistake one from the other if you did not hear them speak or sing.

Allan

Allan, I'd never heard of either and I haven't the slightest interest in Musical Theater. When I first saw the names in this forum, I assumed they were British MP's, perhaps from the nineteenth century. As is usual, I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Looking at online images of both named above they look very much alike and it could be easy to mistake one from the other if you did not hear them speak or sing.

Allan

Nonetheless they are different people and have very different careers. Getting it wrong would get the publisher and the photographer a very bad name.

This is what keyword research is for. The simplest Google search reveals that Ardal O'Hanlon was in "The Weir" at Wyndham's in January 2014. Just right for a BBC radio interview.

BTW it doesn't look like Alfie Boe to me. It's clearly Father Dougal.

5 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

He is. It is Ardal O'Hanlon.

9 hours ago, Brian Yarvin said:

I once had an alleged captioning mistake reported to me by member services. That caption turned out to be correct in the first place and left me with a strange feeling. While they admitted that another contributor reported it, they wouldn't say who it was or report back to that individual when things were checked out. 

On one hand, I felt like I had been denounced and on the other, I understood that all large collections must have an error or two.

I am very sure Ardal O'Hanlan is a very familiar face on TV in the UK, I've watched him for countless hours over the years, Alfie Boe not so familiar to most but I have seen in person many times.

As there is no real mechanism to alert and not wanting to cause issues for anyone I'll just leave it be.

29 minutes ago, John J Bloomfield said:

I am very sure Ardal O'Hanlan is a very familiar face on TV in the UK, I've watched him for countless hours over the years, Alfie Boe not so familiar to most but I have seen in person many times.

As there is no real mechanism to alert and not wanting to cause issues for anyone I'll just leave it be.

I am pretty sure you are right in ID'ing those images as being Ardal, not Alfie Boe - the eye colours look different. 

I know Alamy lurk on these forums. I presume if they see misidentification of two such well-known and current live performers they will take prompt and appropriate action to rectify the problem, even if no contributor actually reports the issue.

Just spotted:

Brussels Belgium - Stock Image

Brussels Belgium (it's Porto Portugal)

Rosa Luxemburg (1871 –1919) - Stock Image

Rosa Luxemburg (it's Clara Zetkin)

Ferrari Bonnet - Stock Image

Ferrari bonnet (the Porsche badge is clearly visible)

Yellowstone waterfall - Stock Image

Yellowstone waterfall (it's Yosemite Falls 1000 miles to the North)

AMSTERDAM canals bisect the Dutch city - Stock Image

Canals of Amsterdam (it's Delft 70km to the South)

Some are simple and honest mistakes because of the way the Image Manager works. (= Like a phone app.)

Some are just stupid.

Like mislabeling canals in Amsterdam is quite common. They're just like penguins see, nobody will know the difference 😉

The point is that it makes us all look stupid.

I wish there was a simple tool to file a complaint or a just post a remark.

If I would have made a mistake in my keywords, I would be quite happy if someone would point it out to me.

wim

Edited by wiskerke
North/South mixed up
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Some are simple and honest mistakes because of the way the Image Manager works. (= Like a phone app.)

Some are just stupid.

Like mislabeling canals in Amsterdam is quite common. They're just like penguins see, nobody will know the difference 😉

The point is that it makes us all look stupid.

If I would have made a mistake in my keywords, I would be quite happy if someone would point it out to me.

wim

Agree with everything you said Wim!

And for whoever is interested, although there are many images of the buildings below in the first page of a search for "Government House, Victoria, Canada", this is NOT Government House.  That is a different building at a different location.  Pictured are the Provincial Parliament buildings (just picked a couple at random).

DEG141.jpg  S01XR9.jpg

Edited by MariaJ

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

In the ‘good old days’ there was a tick box under each image that said something like ‘is there something wrong with this image’. 

12 hours ago, John J Bloomfield said:

Then I'll do it for you.

I'm with Wim, not that he'll make too many mistakes.

Edited by spacecadet

For what it is worth if anyone spots an error keywording in my images please please tell me.  I do try to get my stuff accurate but I am no expert on things - and added to that the chances of slipping up with the AIM and having 2 images selected.  I would much rather someone tell me so I could fix it.

Is it may be worth having a thread on mistakes found the way there is for images sold or images found?  

19 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

For what it is worth if anyone spots an error keywording in my images please please tell me.  I do try to get my stuff accurate but I am no expert on things - and added to that the chances of slipping up with the AIM and having 2 images selected.  I would much rather someone tell me so I could fix it.

Is it may be worth having a thread on mistakes found the way there is for images sold or images found?  

Yeah I did try to find him/her as a forum member as I thought that would be the easiest route but couldn't find them.

Just had an email from MS saying they will change them.

Hi Mark

Thanks for letting us know, we’ll get these updated.

All the best,

Shelley

Alamy Contributor Relations

To: Alamy Contributor Relations <contributors@alamy.com>
Subject: Miscaptioned images.

Hi,

Some images of Ardal O'Hanlon have been miscaptioned as Alfie Boe. There's a thread in the forums about this..................

• Like 2

If you're concerned about mis-captioned images, don't even think about going through natural history photos.  On some pages up to half are incorrectly identified, sometimes honest mistakes and sometimes, I suspect, to generate more "hits".  This is a massive problem for Alamy, caused by allowing contributors to do their own captions and keywords and reflects on everybody.  Unless it affects me directly, I no longer contact member services about this as I have better things to do with my time than police other peoples images.

Edited by CM photo
grammar

On 28/03/2019 at 09:47, spacecadet said:

Just had an email from MS saying they will change them.

Hi Mark

Thanks for letting us know, we’ll get these updated.

All the best,

Shelley

Alamy Contributor Relations

To: Alamy Contributor Relations <contributors@alamy.com>
Subject: Miscaptioned images.

Hi,

Some images of Ardal O'Hanlon have been miscaptioned as Alfie Boe. There's a thread in the forums about this..................

Well done.

My favorite was some people noticing that there were searches for Nicaraguan Sign Language and using those keywords for photos of signs in Nicaragua -- stores, road signs, etc.  What people were looking for were examples of Nicaraguan Sign Language used by deaf Nicaraguans, which was developed by deaf kids themselves apparently and since has been made more formal.  My own photos could have been better, I think, and I have talked to a contact about reshooting, but, no, people weren't looking for Spanish language printed/painted signs in Nicaragua.   None of mine have sold, but some have been zoomed.

As someone who buys, (pics of dogs) I come across many images where the breed is incorrect.  I have found Labradors being called Golden Retrievers and vice versa.  And even find images where the contributor has put more than one breed in the keywords.  If someone didn't know their breeds, it could cause some embarrassment to the buyer who depends on the photo supplier to correctly caption and keyword properly.

I  would want to be told if I had something keyworded incorrectly.

Jill

Now we can't PM one another, it's not so easy to point out mistakes in captions and keywords. Yes, it would be helpful - all round - if everyone could keyword accurately and appropriately, without spamming, but the fact remains that there must be millions of wrongly annotated pix in the collection, with no realistic possibility that the wrongs will be righted. It's just the way it is...

• Like 1

I know of an incident where a mislabeled image caused the publisher to recall copies in circulation, rip off the offending covers, print a new cover with a correct image, reattach new cover to guts of publication, recirculate publication with new cover.

The cost to the publisher was $80,000. Inquisition followed. Potential legal case was settled out of court. The publisher did not absorb the entire cost.

Mislabeled images are like roadside bombs. Get them right.

5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Now we can't PM one another, it's not so easy to point out mistakes in captions and keywords. Yes, it would be helpful - all round - if everyone could keyword accurately and appropriately, without spamming, but the fact remains that there must be millions of wrongly annotated pix in the collection, with no realistic possibility that the wrongs will be righted. It's just the way it is...

As I've said before, it annoys me no end when I find my files of certain subjects way down in the search, doomed to permanent obscurity, but many pics on the first page are irrelevant to the search term. And before anyone says, yes certain other subjects have good positioning, but it's not swings and roundabouts, as both my low positioned and high positioned images are correctly keyworded. (Still doesn't stop poor connections of unrelated words, of course :-()

I should also say that a wildlife organisation had a wrongly labelled image of what was a very obsure insect endemic to some small and distant  island: the file subject was closely related, but not the claimed one and rather surprisingly several readers wrote in to point it out: and they don't use that stock agency now.

Edited by Cryptoprocta