Affinity Photo - 20% off

10 hours ago, Krisken said:

Cheers Harry. Look very useful, especially the Raw editor.

Thanks, although I don't have cause to use it much I think they are a very impressive company (they used to be called Serif), this is not budget software despite the price. Just keeping up with the RAW processing requirements of new cameras, and now phones, is quite a task, and this is a one off price, a perpetual licence if you like. Very good to give Adobe some competition.

Been half-looking at Affinity for a little while . . . haven't really gone too deeply as I couldn't find any reference to how they are going to handle upgrades cost-wise, and it reportedly does not have anywhere near the same 'refine edge' capability as PS, which I often find invaluable.

But, maybe time for another look while its price is reduced.

DD

27 minutes ago, dustydingo said:

But, maybe time for another look while its price is reduced.

I can't honestly say how it compares with the latest version of Photoshop because I haven't used it enough but I spoke to them at the Photography Show at the NEC and they confirmed that there was no cost to upgrading, it was a one-off purchase. That's pretty amazing considering the amount of new RAW files they will have to deal with. Neither have I compared the quality of their RAW conversion with that of Lightroom though I am aware that there can be differences, people often recommend Capture One for example and Fuji X-Trans files in particular can be a problem (fuzzy foliage I believe). That said Lightroom is fine for me but I might do a test one of these days.

I also asked if they were thinking of doing a cataloguing version like Lightroom and of course they said that they were thinking about it, not sure you can really glean anything from that though.

I use Affinity Designer for doing my vectors.  Found the high cost of Illustrator way too much.  It has been great software and I recommend it to anyone wanting to do some vector work without spending an arm and a leg. Very user friendly.

I haven't tried their photo software yet.  I may just do that as I mainly use PS for design work these days as opposed to photography.  Hard to compete though with Camera Raw.  I shall download and see.

Jill

Archived