Jump to content

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

If you can, why not visit the Photography Show at the NEC next week, that way you can try before you buy😉 I feel the need for another shoulder type bag 😉

 

Carol

I am going , but just had a look at the list of exhibitors and Cotton Carriers is not there. 😑

This is a very interesting thread - thanks Russell for posting! I am particularly interested as I was in Cambodia last year and wanted to carry around a Canon 5D3 with 16-35 along with the 7D2 with 24-105 to use at the archaeological sites (therefore covering the 16-160mm range). In the end last year I used the normal straps with the 7D on a longer strap around my right shoulder, and the 5D on a shorter strap around my neck. Was only carrying them a max. of 2.5 hours at a go, in hot conditions, but quite a lot of climbing involved, and not ideal. 

Next month I am in Central America but doing pretty much the same, so discussion about the Cotton Carrier G3 system is useful! Shall have a look.

 

Meantime I have a Black Rapide with additional underarm strap but I havent got on well with it- especially with a larger lens the camera/lens still bangs against the hip, and the attachment of the underarm stabilising strap is not very good. Not a convert to it sadly.

 

Kumar

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

If you can, why not visit the Photography Show at the NEC next week, that way you can try before you buy😉 I feel the need for another shoulder type bag 😉

 

Carol

ps. Carol - if you are going there are a couple of us going Saturday 16/3 who are already meeting up?

 

Kumar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah thanks Kumar but I've already booked cheap train tickets for the Monday but have a great time 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

Ah thanks Kumar but I've already booked cheap train tickets for the Monday but have a great time 😉

👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Doc said:

This is a very interesting thread - thanks Russell for posting! I am particularly interested as I was in Cambodia last year and wanted to carry around a Canon 5D3 with 16-35 along with the 7D2 with 24-105 to use at the archaeological sites (therefore covering the 16-160mm range). In the end last year I used the normal straps with the 7D on a longer strap around my right shoulder, and the 5D on a shorter strap around my neck. Was only carrying them a max. of 2.5 hours at a go, in hot conditions, but quite a lot of climbing involved, and not ideal. 

 

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but hoping to visit Cambodia later in the year hence new camera bag😉thinking at the moment...one dslr body/24-70mm and /28-300mm not sure about the 70/200 2.8 plus sony rx100 MK (thank you Alan Bell😉) I know it's going to be hot (understatement!) so me thinks less is more?

 

Naturally the bag will need space for a few other bits and bobs i.e., loo roll😄

 

Carol

Edited by CAROL SAUNDERS
change

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CAROL SAUNDERS said:

 

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but hoping to visit Cambodia later in the year hence new camera bag😉thinking at the moment...one dslr body/24-70mm and /28-300mm not sure about the 70/200 2.8 plus sony rx100 MK (thank you Alan Bell😉) I know it's going to be hot (understatement!) so me thinks less is more?

 

Naturally the bag will need space for a few other bits and bobs i.e., loo roll😄

 

Carol

Always difficult to know how many lenses to take - I debated taking the 70-200 also but decided against. I am sure if I had taken it I would have used it, but used it enough to warrant carrying around the extra weight all the time? I didnt think so. I felt having 2 bodies was more important - firstly just in case one failed for any reason, and secondly, no need to change lenses with resulting time wasting and risk of dirt on sensor. Can always crop with the 7D2/24/105 combination for the occasional longer shot wanted. (I also had the Sony RX100 2 with me but didnt use it)

 

Kumar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't used it myself but I was admiring a Cotton Carrier harness a photographer had on a ship is Svalbard. It allowed her to have her two cameras easily ready to use. She pointed out to me when we went inside for a while that she could not take off her jacket unless she also took off the harness so it was great for outside but not that versatlle for going in and out.

 

Paulette

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NYCat said:

She pointed out to me when we went inside for a while that she could not take off her jacket unless she also took off the harness so it was great for outside but not that versatlle for going in and out.

 

Paulette

That's one of the reasons that I prefer two separate straps rather than a harness. It's easier to take them off, and gives the option of using just one or both as needs arise

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/03/2019 at 12:07, Avpics said:

How do you get on shooting that way, or do you unhitch it from your shoulder? 

If the camera strap is long enough it's easy to just grab the camera and use it like that with the strap still over the shoulder. I tend to have the telephoto over the right shoulder and the second camera either over the left or more often the old amateur 'round the neck' style, especially if I'm walking along getting very wide-angle not-looking-through-the-viewfinder street shots, which I usually am when wandering around London.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommend black rapid  attached to lens tripod bush hanging behind you at a comfortable height relative to your butt/arm length.  Rotate the lens in the collar to find a position where your hand naturally finds the camera grip and shutter release when you reach down. Having it behind you stops it swinging when walking. If stalking you'll have it up front with both hands anyway. This works well with d800 with 300 f4 afs and battery grip. Balance more important than weight, adding a tc to this setup makes it feel disproportionately heavier as it throws the balance off. A heavier lens would be fine if it balances well off the collar bush.

Cheers, Keith

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.