Jump to content

CGI can't compete with "real" photography . . . can it?


Recommended Posts

The future is getting closer every day :ph34r:

 

seeing is believing  . . . before you scroll sideways, scroll down to really get your attention

 

DD

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

It'll be nice being able to have models - without actually having to have models :D

 

 

Which means that the need  NOT to upload a non-existant model release for a fictional model will make perfect sense. I think.

My head hurts.

Or is that his head that hurts???

:unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TeeCee said:

Which means that the need  NOT to upload a non-existant model release for a fictional model will make perfect sense. I think.

My head hurts.

Or is that his head that hurts???

:unsure:

I would wonder about property releases though - If I take a picture of someones drawing I have to to get a property release for it to be used commercially.  So if I use someones CGI created model won't I have to get a property release?  Is there going to be a whole new market in photographers purchasing the rights to CGI models - and will they be cheaper than human models?  If the game is going to require me learning how to create my own CGI model then I am looking for another game lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I would wonder about property releases though - If I take a picture of someones drawing I have to to get a property release for it to be used commercially.  So if I use someones CGI created model won't I have to get a property release?  Is there going to be a whole new market in photographers purchasing the rights to CGI models - and will they be cheaper than human models?  If the game is going to require me learning how to create my own CGI model then I am looking for another game lol

 

I'm with you on not wanting to create these things - I want royalty free, micro priced models, please - if Alamy sells them that should be achievable :D

 

In all seriousness though, if there was a market for this, I'd happily pay a few hundred for exclusive - though am I being cheap?

 

But there will always be a requirement for at least "some" basic editing of the model - adjusting light and angle, distance, etc. And of course, changes of clothes!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great work, but...who cares?
Am I the only one missing the point of working for days just to create a picture of a digital character which looks "almost exactly" like a real person?

We have 7 billion people living on this planet, I don't see the need to create other ones by CGI, those actually existing are far more interesting...

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, riccarbi said:

Great work, but...who cares?
Am I the only one missing the point of working for days just to create a picture of a digital character which looks "almost exactly" like a real person?

We have 7 billion people living on this planet, I don't see the need to create other ones by CGI, those actually existing are far more interesting...

 

It's funny, I have a friend who thinks exactly the same about photography . . . paraphrasing her, she also asks "what's the point of spending time just to create a 2-d representation of something that actually exists?"

 

Each to their own I guess . . .

 

But of course, the linked gallery does show more than just "a picture of a digital character" . . . it's a realistic 3-d model that can be manipulated at will, and in the right hands could be incorporated into absolutely any environment or location one could possibly imagine. I think its potential is breathtaking, but as Starsphinx adroitly hinted at, I also hope it does not mean photographers eventually have to go down that path to stay in the game :ph34r:

 

DD

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ikea uses a lot of 3d renders for their catalogues, instead of photography...

 

Creating photorealistic renders nowadays is getting more and more democratic: hardware is the same as a good gaming pc and for software you have so many options free (unreal, unity, blender...) or for reasonable prices... assets (3d models of people and whatever you need to create a scene) are readily available...

 

I know a bit on his subject as I’m an architect doing archiviz...

 

Will stick to photography though, as it much more pleasant to discover places and being outside...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Photographers are becoming like farmers. Photographers produce raw food for the digital manipulators, who are doing the cooking.

 

So if you are a stock photographer farmer,  how much cooking do you want to do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, riccarbi said:

Great work, but...who cares?
Am I the only one missing the point of working for days just to create a picture of a digital character which looks "almost exactly" like a real person?

We have 7 billion people living on this planet, I don't see the need to create other ones by CGI, those actually existing are far more interesting...

 

Yes, it does seem a bit ridiculous, hut we Homo sapiens are good at that. Perhaps it's a way of playing God.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 16:15, Bill Brooks said:

Photographers are becoming like farmers. Photographers produce raw food for the digital manipulators, who are doing the cooking.

 

So if you are a stock photographer farmer,  how much cooking do you want to do?

I am exploring a wider variety of crops - and have started messing with vectors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2019 at 20:17, Starsphinx said:

I am exploring a wider variety of crops - and have started messing with vectors.

 

and I am coming to terms with Blender 2.8.

 

Changing times, changing tunes :ph34r::)

 

DD

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.