Is Alamy turning into a Microstock agency?

you and many others Kimba, unfortunately the industry is where it is now and we can be sure it won't change. The question is if one should accept receiving small rewards for our efforts or give up on supplying images and do something else, the contributors who just like taking photos and feel they are doing something with them and not worried about a substantial reward for their images should find Alamy and other distributors ideal, it is what it is!

Edited by Paul Mayall
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Avpics said:

Of Alamy? These aren't NU sales, but normal editorial licences

I don't know about the OP, but I had exactly the same price sale today and mine was NU. There were others reporting the same as me in another thread today too. I'm opting out of NU in April.

4 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

Also 8 at 1.25. NU.

To a commercial site with 20 million visitors a month.

Opt out in April.

Really?

Gawd, that is just deplorable!

Tell  me this license doesn’t get abused left, right and center.

Just scrap this license option altogether.

• Like 3

For the questions: is Alamy becoming a Microstock site: No, the sales are far lower, even if the rpd is still higher.

(I'm not pretending that everything is coming up roses in micro-land)

As for NU: the three sales I've had under $1 net were not NU; though I agree that it is clear from reports on the forum and elsewhere that the NU scheme is being abused, with Alamy's complicity. Unless they're using it as an 'introductory offer'. Whatever, if you opt out of NU, you may well still get low sales by other means.

Edited by Cryptoprocta
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

For the questions: is Alamy becoming a Microstock site: No, the sales are far lower, even if the rpd is still higher.

(I'm not pretending that everything is coming up roses in micro-land)

As for NU: the three sales I've had under $1 net were not NU; though I agree that it is clear from reports on the forum and elsewhere that the NU scheme is being abused, with Alamy's complicity. Unless they're using it as an 'introductory offer'. Whatever, if you opt out of NU, you may well still get low sales by other means.

+1

Microstock sales are generally worth pennies, not £ (or $!)

7 minutes ago, Steve F said:

+1

Microstock sales are generally worth pennies, not £ (or $!)

The average is likely into the dollars, certainly it is for me (though falling), but there can be far more sales, making the total higher.

Of course, you can take the stance that you're not going to suport micro prices, which is why I didn't submit there for so long, but overall I've lost a lot of money via that strategy.

• Love 1

Ok, ready to be shot down here, and not naming any names of agencies....! At the largest most popular microstock agency you'll be hard pressed to get more than $0.25 per picture. The new boy on the block pays better, up to ~ $3.30 and as low as $0.20 per picture, with the average around $0.99. I'll stick with Alamy thanks!

3 minutes ago, Steve F said:

Ok, ready to be shot down here, and not naming any names of agencies....! At the largest most popular microstock agency you'll be hard pressed to get more than $0.25 per picture. The new boy on the block pays better, up to ~ $3.30 and as low as $0.20 per picture, with the average around $0.99. I'll stick with Alamy thanks!

That's what I said, rpd on the micros is lower, but total earnings is likely to be higher or much higher, for most people, except maybe those who mainly sell Live News successfully.

Edited by Cryptoprocta

5 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

That's what I said, rpd on the micros is lower, but total earnings is likely to be higher or much higher, for most people, except maybe those who mainly sell Live News successfully.

Ok, understood, think we're differentiating between very small amounts on very small amounts!

8 minutes ago, Cryptoprocta said:

At the largest most popular microstock agency you'll be hard pressed to get more than $0.25 per picture.

Hard pressed?? It's quite easy to get more per sale (without doing anything special), although I do concede it's not much more :-)

Mark

I'm unversed in the ways of microstock, but I'm wondering why a startup website like this with probably a very small budget for photography wouldn't go shopping at a micro agency rather than Alamy. What might be the attraction(s) here?

Edited by John Mitchell

28 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

I'm unversed in the ways of microstock, but I'm wondering why a startup website like this with probably a very small budget for photography wouldn't go shopping at a micro agency rather than Alamy. What might be the attraction(s) here?

Alamy curating a search for them, as apparently they do (other thread). Though how it can be worth it at these prices beats me, unless they charge a premium for the custom search. (I'm not saying they do, I have no idea.)

4 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Alamy curating a search for them, as apparently they do (other thread). Though how it can be worth it at these prices beats me, unless they charge a premium for the custom search. (I'm not saying they do, I have no idea.)

I guess they can license a lot of images on Alamy without buying a subscription, but that doesn't seem like a huge motivation.

I would like to see Alamy attract more microstock customers, but at better prices.  It seems NU has become a window to micro-like pricing. I opted out a few years ago.

• 3 weeks later...
On 13/02/2019 at 12:24, Steve F said:

I have sold at that agency for the last 7 years, and have consistently averaged right around $1.00 USD commission per sale.   Every month there are several commissions of $25 to $35, sometimes even significantly more, which keeps the average well above the $0.38 minimum.

Edited by Tom Reichner