Cambridge Alamy Group - meeting with James Allsworth from Alamy - Summary

15 minutes ago, MDM said:

Pearl might be better off setting up a group in north Wales. There must be lots of contributors in the region. 

I have wondered about that.  Anyone interested?

Pearl

10 minutes ago, Pearl said:

Pearl

You would probably be best to announce it as a separate post. I am sure there must be loads of contributors around Merseyside and Chester way as well so somewhere like Llandudno might be good. You might even attract outsiders who would want to spend a few days in the area with all that beautiful scenery in north Wales. 

12 minutes ago, MDM said:

You might even attract outsiders who would want to spend a few days in the area with all that beautiful scenery in north Wales. 

Bring in more competition you mean?  Hmmmm...

Pearl

42 minutes ago, Pearl said:

Pearl

Keith Douglas, one of the Cambridge groups original four members, lives up that way but may be a bit of a journey for him from around the Morecambe area.

Allan

On 2/7/2019 at 06:40, Doc said:

270,000 people have registered for Alamy and have no images for sale!

Stunning. Is this a Pavlovian social-media response? Do people just see a "create account" box and fill it in? The fact that only 18k on 90k contributors post regularly I understand as many people give up when they get an idea of how much long term effort is needed to create a large diverse portfolio. But 270k who have never sent in a photo is astounding. 

8 minutes ago, Colin Woods said:

Stunning. Is this a Pavlovian social-media response? Do people just see a "create account" box and fill it in? The fact that only 18k on 90k contributors post regularly I understand as many people give up when they get an idea of how much long term effort is needed to create a large diverse portfolio. But 270k who have never sent in a photo is astounding. 

They may have had their submissions rejected. If their camera is not suitable they might just give up. Occasionally someone introduces themselves and seems to think it is just a forum to talk photography. Some people have time on their hands and are lonely.

Paulette

2 hours ago, Colin Woods said:
On 2/7/2019 at 11:40, Doc said:

270,000 people have registered for Alamy and have no images for sale!

I don't think Alamy has separate types of accounts for buyers and contributors, or does it ?

I have used just one account to submit images and to buy.

So those mysterious 270,000 might be buyers but not photographers !

GD

On 07/02/2019 at 11:40, Doc said:

The changes funded by the cut are essentially to allow Alamy to grow the business and hence make it more likely to survive and not be taken over.  Alamy's annual income is substantially lower than that of Shutterstock and Getty, and they are able to spend large amounts  on advertising/bringing customers in. Alamy needs to do more of this. The average gross income from a sale on Shutterstock is 35 cents; the average  gross value of a sale on a sale on Alamy is $35, and this has been the same for the past 3 years.

Agreed Alamy's average gross income per sale is around $35. But Shutterstock's income is significantly better than the 35 cents quoted above.

Based on Shutterstock's 2017 annual report their average gross revenue per sale is $3.13.

The royalty paid to Shutterstock contributors starts at 25 cents per sale but can be quite a bit higher.

Maybe James A was comparing gross on Alamy with net on Shutterstock?

Mark

Hi Kumar and team

Many thanks for this excellent update and thanks to James for making the effort. This forum has been a game changer for me and provides me with a genuine feeling of community despite the distance between us all. I spent over an hour adding the word People and Person into my key words last night. Every little bit helps to increase chances of a sale and the generosity of knowledge shared here is remarkable.

Stephen

On 2/8/2019 at 15:38, Colin Woods said:

Seems like autobot creating users

Archived