Matt Ashmore

Favourite photos uploaded February 2019

1 minute ago, John Mitchell said:

I actually owned that car (Cooper S)  in the late 60's. It was great fun to drive, but it spent as much time in the garage as it did on the road. It was also a ridiculous car for Montreal (where I was living at the time) winters -- no heating to speak of, clearance too low for driving in the snow, etc. Loved it all the same, though.

A friend had one in the 80s. It was like riding in a tin can. Classic cars are great, but practical? Hmm. Life's too short to grease the suspension.

18 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

A friend had one in the 80s. It was like riding in a tin can. Classic cars are great, but practical? Hmm. Life's too short to grease the suspension.

Somehow I managed to cram four people plus skis into my Cooper S. I had to drive with mitts on and an ice scraper in my left hand in order to keep the windshield clear. I was a university student at the time and didn't pay much for the car. The clutch was shot, so I had to rev the engine between gear shifts. I got pretty good at it. Wouldn't want to own a classic car these days, that's for sure. At the time, though, stuff like greasing the suspension was just run-of-mill maintenance. Cars have have come a long way technologically, but they've lost a lot of their personality.

Edited by John Mitchell

Good boy, now drop the ball.

Alamy Live News. U.K. weather Whitby, North Yorkshire coast on a bright but breezy day.

Alan

RKEYEN.jpg

The Royal Exchange in the City of London, catching the last rays of the sun.

Parm

the-royal-exchange-in-city-of-london-london-england-uk-RM7AR1.jpg

• Like 1