Is the forum behaving oddly for anyone else?

There seem to be several different issues

• content being marked as unread when it has been read
  • posts not appearing until log out and log back in (appearing to the writer - I suspect they are visible to readers straight away)
  • content out of order
  • timestamps incorrect
  • summary page not working
  • posts disappearing

From my own experience these different things seem to happen at random - and when I think one area is working again another plays up then I find the original issue plays up again.

Unusable at the moment...seeing posts in summary that I cannot see when clicking on thread, whether clicking on last post or scrolling from the beginning...:(

Phil

EDIT: Can't even be sure this exists!!! Schrodingers forum here we come :D

Phil

I will browse the Alamy forum without signing in and with cookies blocked. I also clear cookies at the end of each day. Of course I have to allow cookies if I sign in to the forum. The forum started to act strange. 

Allowing cookies, when I was not signing in to the Alamy forum, cleared the problem with the forum. 

it seems to have found a new trick - I come in and the board has half a dozen threads showing as not read.  I read one, return to the board and .....dum dum dum..... its no longer a case of what I have read still showing unread it is a case of the threads showing unread are now a totally different half dozen to the ones I started with and any of the ones I started with and still wanted to read have disappeared.

However, on the plus side, it seems that posts are still appearing, being read, and being responded to, eventually.

I have found that Internet Explorer works fine but Firefox does not - have just cleared cookies/history from Firefox and normal business has resumed :-) I think someone suggested this a few days ago :-)

1 hour ago, gardenbush said:

I have found that Internet Explorer works fine but Firefox does not - have just cleared cookies/history from Firefox and normal business has resumed :-) I think someone suggested this a few days ago :-)

I am using Chrome (and if Internet explorer is the solution to a problem that is going to make geek history lol) - and have tried clearing cookies, history, temp files etc.  It seems to sort the immediate issue but then it all starts again.

Too many people on too many browsers are reporting similar issues for it to be something as simple as cookies.

4 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I am using Chrome (and if Internet explorer is the solution to a problem that is going to make geek history lol) - and have tried clearing cookies, history, temp files etc.  It seems to sort the immediate issue but then it all starts again.

Too many people on too many browsers are reporting similar issues for it to be something as simple as cookies.

You are correct - shortly after I posted that all was well. it went skew wiff again!!

15 hours ago, gardenbush said:

You are correct - shortly after I posted that all was well. it went skew wiff again!!

I have taken to logging out and logging back in to try and clear some of the issues - no doubt at some point it will start throwing capture at me.  

If I was Alamy I would be tempted to back up the forum database, uninstall the forum software, and do a clean install then rehook up the database (I used to manage and run my own forum) - it would take the forum down for a couple of hours but might sort the issues as the forum software should be separate from the site software.  I am visiting other places using this forum software (its appearance gives it away) and they are not having these issues so it is not a universal software issue.

2 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I have taken to logging out and logging back in to try and clear some of the issues - no doubt at some point it will start throwing capture at me.  

If I was Alamy I would be tempted to back up the forum database, uninstall the forum software, and do a clean install then rehook up the database (I used to manage and run my own forum) - it would take the forum down for a couple of hours but might sort the issues as the forum software should be separate from the site software.  I am visiting other places using this forum software (its appearance gives it away) and they are not having these issues so it is not a universal software issue.

Maybe tell Tech (a bit more detailed) through contributor relations. They don't read everything here.

wim

3 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Maybe tell Tech (a bit more detailed) through contributor relations. They don't read everything here.

wim

Ha I am not quite that daft - Alamy have posted a couple of times that they are aware of the issues and trying to do something about it - the last thing I want to is make a suggestion to someone personally and get the "can you just run through how you did that" followed by "can you do that on this system".  Many years ago I wandered into a public meeting about something that interested me, happened to mention I did some low level messing around with websites and walked out a committee member with the official title "webmaster" - I have learned not to volunteer solutions to web issues except in the broadest possible sense in case I end up doing all the work.

2 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

Ha I am not quite that daft - Alamy have posted a couple of times that they are aware of the issues and trying to do something about it - the last thing I want to is make a suggestion to someone personally and get the "can you just run through how you did that" followed by "can you do that on this system".  Many years ago I wandered into a public meeting about something that interested me, happened to mention I did some low level messing around with websites and walked out a committee member with the official title "webmaster" - I have learned not to volunteer solutions to web issues except in the broadest possible sense in case I end up doing all the work.

Yes been there done that. I meant the other forums, so they can see for themselves.

wim

7 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Yes been there done that. I meant the other forums, so they can see for themselves.

wim

I would be very surprised if they did not already know - one of them is a big competitor and if Alamy techs are not keeping half an eye on their site out of general business principles then they are beyond saving lol

Archived