44 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

There is no light leakage from the rear of the LED lamp into the box. The only emitted light goes through the slide. It also runs pretty cool. The LED lamp I chose is really well designed, very even light over a large area (big enough for medium format), no light leakage, cast Aluminium housing to dissipate heat.

Mark 

Sounds like a good retrofit for the Illumitran. No vignetting or bother about which DSLRs trigger the flash and which don't.

If I had any film left to scan I'd think about it.

I've just taken a shot to check uniformity of illumination from this LED source.

Here's the result. (I've added a rectangle to show 35mm film size).

P1190784.jpg

I noticed that it's a bit lighter around the edge (where the LEDs are), but I'm happy with the central area I'm using for 35mm slide copying. (NB. LR should have corrected any vignetting in my lens, but not in the light source). The diameter of the light source is 80mm, so 6 x 4.5 medium format would also fit. 6 x 6 would just fit too, but the corners would be a bit light. Massively boosting the contrast highlights the variation in illumination and reveals the textured surface of the light's diffuser, so it's best to mount the slide a short distance away so the diffuser is defocussed. It also reveals some feint dust bunnies on my camera sensor - rats!

P1190784-2.jpg

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

Thanks for posting Mark, my film scanner recently died and this bargain basement solution may be the answer!

I made a light box for my son years ago, before the days of LED lights, building a wooden box with a sheet of translucent perspex. I could perhaps re-configure it with that B&Q light source. Need to find an adapter for one of my enlarger lenses and a means of pointing the camera vertically down.

10 hours ago, Bryan said:

Thanks for posting Mark, my film scanner recently died and this bargain basement solution may be the answer!

I made a light box for my son years ago, before the days of LED lights, building a wooden box with a sheet of translucent perspex. I could perhaps re-configure it with that B&Q light source. Need to find an adapter for one of my enlarger lenses and a means of pointing the camera vertically down.

The LED light I'm using is this one for £5. https://www.diy.com/departments/colours-white-led-fixed-recessed-downlight-6-ip20/3663602770725_BQ.prd

There's also a larger version for £9.. https://www.diy.com/departments/colours-white-led-fixed-recessed-downlight-17-5-ip20/3663602770787_BQ.prd

It should be noted that both are very bright and non-dimmable, so not suitable for use as a lightbox for general slide viewing with the naked eye or a loupe. But they would be OK for this if built into a larger box with additional translucent diffuser.

I think the advantage of the bright light for slide copying is short exposure time (so less chance of vibration or mains induced flicker) and there should be less noise when opening up the shadows.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Like 1

On 2/16/2019 at 08:25, Bryan said:

I have made a wonderful piece of kit for holding my Canon 100mm lens lens both square and vertical to the light box , it  consists of a portion of a Pringles tube ( 140mm for my 100mm and full frame D5ii)  that fits snugly over the filter thread and assuming it is cut nice and square it will hold the camera rock solid just use mirror lock up and 2 sec self timer, I would post photo on here if someone could tell me how to post personal photos!

2 hours ago, Nick Hatton said:

I have made a wonderful piece of kit for holding my Canon 100mm lens lens both square and vertical to the light box , it  consists of a portion of a Pringles tube ( 140mm for my 100mm and full frame D5ii)  that fits snugly over the filter thread and assuming it is cut nice and square it will hold the camera rock solid just use mirror lock up and 2 sec self timer, I would post photo on here if someone could tell me how to post personal photos!

Nice bit of lateral thinking Nick, I was locked into using a tripod, but clearly there are alternatives.!

I've just ordered a focusing helicoid and a 39 to 42 adapter in order to be able to use my enlarger lenses with my Sony camera and existing M42 adapter. When they arrive I'll start to experiment.