Phil Robinson

GET RID OF CAPTCHA NOW

On 1/29/2019 at 06:23, MDM said:

The answer to the second question is no and yes it has been considered as it would always be the first thing one thinks off (well this one anyway). It appears to be random as far as I can see. Clearing or retaining cookies appears to have no effect, nor does using different browsers, retaining passwords or clearing them and so on. I have logged on regularly with 3 different devices from various places (I think it is less of a problem with my iPad than with my computers). I cannot see any real pattern or way to avoid it. I usually only have to do one set of images to get in but sometimes it is two and then again it sometimes leaves me alone.

I recall reading that this new version of Captcha looks for robot like behaviour whatever that is. Maybe the most afflicted are the most robot-like in their behaviour. One thing I have learnt is not to be too strict with it - e.g. if there is a tiny corner of a car in a picture just ignore it

Being a Newbie, and logging in and out several times a day probably makes me look like a bot... lately though, I`ve been able to log in and not be bothered with having to click on fire hydrants or cars and other such stuff to id myself as a human.  You would think the computer could recognize an IP address as someone who is registered as contributor.

4 hours ago, Sharon said:

You would think the computer could recognize an IP address as someone who is registered as contributor.

In the modern world of dynamic IP and VPN that is not always possible

DD

Edited by dustydingo
added "always"

Five images and 24 clicks to get in today. That is completely unacceptable!!!

It seems to me that there is some sort of "tuning" ability, i.e. how hard it is to complete a successful login. At the moment the dial is turned up way too high - make it virtually impossible for anyone to sign in unless they have eyes like a hawk and endless patience. This really won't do Alamy!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Four pages of near invisible images to get to sign in today! Is this nonsense actually helping anyone???

Retain the CAPTCHA grid, but use images from Alamy contributors and pay them £0.50p a click !

• Upvote 3

I see we are back to multiple traffic lights cross walks and half a dozen screens just to get in the forum :(

On a very slow connection while travelling, this stopped me getting in at all. If the connection is too slow, there is an error message along the lines of “recaptcha timed out”.  It makes access impossible in these circumstances. Of course, if the connection is too slow for captcha to work, it is going to take a very long time to get any meaningful information from Alamy, but the security should not defeat access entirely on slow connections. 

Sorry to resurrect this thread but why oh why do I need to go through captcha to log into my dashboard during the working week?🤢

I put the green smilie 'cause I'm SICK of it.

Allan

I like Captcha. 

Wait until a robot hacks your captcha free account and redirects your monthly Alamy money to hackers in Tajikistan. What will you say then?

Oh oh my money disappeared because James West dresses poorly.

Easy to get it first time, as long as you are not excessively orderly and fussy (supposedly owing to conflict over toilet-training in infancy).

Damn I had to go through Captcha twice in order to post this.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

I like Captcha. 

Wait until a robot hacks your captcha free account and redirects your monthly Alamy money to hackers in Tajikistan. What will you say then?

Oh oh my money disappeared because James West dresses poorly.

Easy to get it first time, as long as you are not excessively orderly and fussy (supposedly owing to conflict over toilet-training in infancy).

Damn I had to go through Captcha twice in order to post this.

Though it can be a pain I quite agree that it is necessary in today's world.

• Like 1

I understand that some system is necessary, but why can't somebody develop one that works? If getting through the system that requires us to recognise a traffic light or a fire hydrant, is it too much to expect the system itself to know what they look like? And it's difficult to know whether a collection of bricks and a bit of a window are part of a shopfront. 

Have a security feature, fine, but one that can at least do what it is asking us to do, and can be used on a mobile phone without use of a magnifying glass.

• Upvote 2